shape
carat
color
clarity

Extra Diamonds...What would you do?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lover in athens

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everyone.
As many of you know, I recently had some of the diamonds from grandmother''s wedding band made into a wedding band for myself. The problem is, there are several extra marquise stones (I think 9, and all in pairs except one, and all graduated in size), as well as 5 small RBs. All of these diamonds are very small in size!!

If they were yours, would would you do with them? The jeweler suggested drop earrings and has sent me a mock up (see attached), but I''m not sure I really like the look. I was thinking maybe a necklace in the style of Elsa Perreti (sp?) Diamonds by the Yard (with the surrounding bezels), but the jeweler was a bit hesitant b/c of the varying sizes of the marquise stones. She thought it might look funny if the necklace were to shift off center, or something like that. Soooo, please help...what would you do???

Thanks!

Here is a scan of the original ring. You can see the marquise stones are all quite small:

ttdjgrandma1.JPG

lover in athens

Brilliant_Rock
And here is the mock-up of the earring that the jeweler sent:
I''m just not loving the look...I think maybe the drop is too big? And too pink???

ttdjmock.JPG

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I would go with the earrings. But I think the drop is too big. Maybe a diamond or a ruby, sapph, or emerald. Something classisc.

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
hmmm such a good problem!
could you use the rounds in pave around a gemstone for a pendant?? aka halo.....

or a semi eternity made out of the rounds? I know I am a ring girl and necklace.. not so much earrings..

I thnk your DBY idea would be great!

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that I would have some sort of ring designed (I am a total ring girl). The necklace idea sounds beautiful, though!

lover in athens

Brilliant_Rock
thanks for the ideas so far! i already had a bead-set pave band made to match my ering (see attached), so there are only 5 RBs left...
i think a ring with the varying sizes of the marquise stones might look funny...what do you think?

ttdjband9.JPG

bling*diva*

Ideal_Rock
~~I like the earring idea too!!!
30.gif
They will be so pretty!!!

reader

Brilliant_Rock
The earring design is not classic enough: it will sit in your jewelry box. I have not seen a marquise DBY necklace, but I think the shape would be amazing in one.

Another thing to consider, is a diamond bracelet....so that the diamonds can be displayed a bit closer to your rings. You already know that they are a good color match. Also, did you inherit a watch? An older watch with a diamond accented band would be divine.

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
I would either do drop earrings (but I agree, the drop is too big and pink) or put the marquis diamonds east-west style into a 9 stone bezel set ring.

widget

Ideal_Rock
How about diamond drops with no extra stone added?

Or if you already have studs, make dangling jackets....this is what I'd do!

widget

tt5tgock.jpg

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
i''d either do the dbty necklace you mentioned (and staggar the sizes intentionally) or do bezeled e-w eternity band!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the idea of a necklace but with some sort of center cluster/pendant type thing...

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
DBY ... all the way!

36.gif

Those earrings would be "dated" before you even GET them.
23.gif

Heishman

Shiny_Rock
i think the diamond drop earring with no extra stone added are gorgeos. I absolutley love that look

nejarb

Shiny_Rock
drop earrings w/ no extra stone!

also, i''m not good w/ terminology so i don''t know what it''s called, but one type of drop earring that''s still classic but a little different is when the stones are all on a very delicate chain and then the part that goes through your ear hangs down behind your ear (but i think this has to be screwed on rather than just pulled through your ear). does that make sense? I think it''s called the same thing as those neck-tie things that the cowboys wear. i want to say lasso b/c maybe it starts with a "l," but it''s definitely not lasso.

it looks like you''d have 2 extra marqs and 1 extra rb. you could make a simple drop pendant with this. or maybe a necklace in the same cowboy stlye as the earrings and the 3 stones hanging on the end. sorry, i don''t even know where i''m getting these ideas. maybe this is crazy.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I LOVE the earring mockup your jeweler made. LOVE IT. You could always go for a different colored pear at the end, and smaller if you think it''s too big. But I love it!!!

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What about a wide band like the etoile maybe even wider and then have them all just scattered over it, ie. marquises in different directions at differnt angles, like the etoile but with a more free order. Could maybe have rails on the side of the band to give it another look.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I do also think I would consider doing a diamonds by the yard necklace. I love those and if you''ve got the stones already...super cute. Even Tiff''s makes ''em with different shape stones now.

lover in athens

Brilliant_Rock
wow.... thanks for all the ideas! i knew i came to the right place. I definitely agree that i like the earrings better without the drop, but like you guys, not sure if they are too dated. i think i''m still leaning towards dby necklace or even a bracelet (love that idea!).

i''ll let you guys know what the jeweler thinks. thanks again for all the input!!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/26/2006 2:30:51 PM
Author: lover in athens
wow.... thanks for all the ideas! i knew i came to the right place. I definitely agree that i like the earrings better without the drop, but like you guys, not sure if they are too dated. i think i''m still leaning towards dby necklace or even a bracelet (love that idea!).

i''ll let you guys know what the jeweler thinks. thanks again for all the input!!
bracelet!! didn''t think of that but that''s my vote!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results