shape
carat
color
clarity

extra $500 in budget -- put it into color grade or into setting?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gcallas

Rough_Rock
From what I''ve seen, the difference in price between an H stone and an I stone of similar quality and size is about $400-$500. At the same time, the difference between a fairly basic 6-prong solitaire setting and a setting with some small channel-set sidestones also seems to be about $500.

I think I''m going to have to choose between an H with no sidestones or an I with some small sidestones, and I''m looking for opinions on what people think looks better.

Daniela

Brilliant_Rock
I think that if it were me I would go for the H. I really like the looks of a classic solitaire, anyway. Have you seen any really well cut H's and I's in person? It might help to sway your decision.

H

hlpkaixin3344

How big is your center stone?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd probably go H over I if given the chance. You can always upgrade the setting later....

KittyTiger

Shiny_Rock
Hi~~

I'd go for the higher color. I think the solitaire setting is very pretty..

and then anytime later.. , like Mara says.. you can upgrade the setting..

gcallas

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 12/17/2003 5:21:54 PM Anonymous Wrote:

How big is your center stone?----------------

I've been looking in the 1.00 - 1.25 range.

So far, sounds like the color is more important. (Good point about upgrading the setting down the road.)

bling

Shiny_Rock
I too would go for the H..like the others said..you can always upgrade the setting later. Plus, with that size stone..it will stand out so nicely in a classic solitaire setting..imho..
rodent.gif
21.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd also go for the H color. Settings can be upgraded and also, a lot of them tend to date over time, so I can't imagine spending too much for a setting. It makes more sense to get a great eng. diamond and a simple timeless solitaire.

Michelle

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Id put the $500 into diamond size.
But then I have looked at I colored diamonds and they look great to me.
Check some out localy and if an I color is livable for you then either save the money or get a bigger diamond.

mdurkin

Rough_Rock
I would go with the H or the larger stone if it were me! The solitaire setting is so classic - you can't go wrong...

bof

Rough_Rock
i would keep the $500 and invest it. i think that it is great that you have found what you are look for under budget and don't see why you need to spend the difference. if you have already decided on a stone and setting be happy with it and don't worry about what you should be upgrading.

bof

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
H
1.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
H, too......I just bought an H, and it's GORGEOUS!

Caratz

Shiny_Rock
I would spend the extra money on the setting. In my mind, a diamond is a commodity. The ring is where you have the opportunity to be truly unique.

chris-uk04

Shiny_Rock
Go for the sidestones. Diamond aficionados like the better color but chances are your woman would like the extra sparkle of the sidestones.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
What will the ring be used for - an engagement? If so, I would go w/ a larger I in a solitaire. In this size stone, the difference b/t an H & I is *so* minimal. If it's an anniversary ring, I'd go I color w/ sidestones. JMHO

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
I too would get the H color.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Do you have any idea what she likes setting-wise? Some women love solitares, some really want the side stones. It's a personal thing. I'd see if you can feel her out, or ask sisters/friends what you tink she would prefer for the setting. She probably won't really know the difference if asked between the H and I color, although I'd try to go H if you can.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results