shape
carat
color
clarity

Exploring Modern Gemstone Rings: Seeking Advice

jasonedward

Rough_Rock
Hey everyone,

I'm in the market for a modern gemstone ring and could use some guidance. While traditional diamond rings are stunning, I'm intrigued by the uniqueness and vibrant colors of gemstones like sapphires, emeralds, and rubies.

However, I'm unsure about durability and maintenance compared to diamonds.

I'd love to hear your experiences and recommendations regarding gemstone choices, settings, and reputable jewelers. Are there specific gemstones known for their durability?

Any tips on ensuring the longevity of a gemstone ring? And for those who've taken the plunge,

how does owning a gemstone ring compare to a traditional diamond one?

jasonedward

Rough_Rock
Hey everyone,

I'm in the market for a modern gemstone ring and could use some guidance. While traditional diamond rings are stunning, I'm intrigued by the uniqueness and vibrant colors of gemstones like sapphires, emeralds, and rubies.

However, I'm unsure about durability and maintenance compared to diamonds.

I'd love to hear your experiences and recommendations regarding gemstone choices, settings, and reputable jewelers. Are there specific gemstones known for their durability?

Any tips on ensuring the longevity of a Modern Gemstone Rings? And for those who've taken the plunge,

how does owning a gemstone ring compare to a traditional diamond one?

Thanks in advance for any help

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Forgive me but a bit of a bot-like post; much of what you asked could be answered with a simple search. I'm assuming you're a man. Most men would restrict to corundum, diamond, and maybe chrysoberyl and spinel if for frequent wear.

Would this interfere with your occupation?

Nothing wears like diamond. Even sapphire will take a beating and look the part after a few years. I am so jealous of my wife's diamond that still looks perfect under the loupe after 30 years (and she's "used up" a few RHRs). Maybe you are super-careful but I would not get garnet or tanzanite or even, probably, beryl (emerald, aqua) for a daily-driver.

If I were getting a diamond, I would go with a step-cut and not MRB. Tiffany has a new line of men's engagement rings (!) under the line "Charles Tiffany" and they are closest to the look I'd be after if I went with diamond:

Screen Shot 2024-03-17 at 7.21.34 PM.png

The best insurance for "longevity" is having multiple rings in rotation. This is not my strategy (it involves having multiple rings) but my spouse did this for a while. She took to wearing a "beater" RHR that had some (limited) sentimental value but otherwise did not do much for either one of us.

I like super-simple but it seems to depend heavily on where you call home. There is a men's ring thread somewhere. @Starstruck8 has lots of great examples there. My taste is mostly boring classic -- substantial ring, clean lines, single metal, matte finish, no pave, zero side-stones (unless a Gypsy-style three-stone). Although I do have one that is elaborately engraved and was fun to make and is fun to wear.

For minimizing maintenance, I love cabs because they hold their look through a hundred hand-washings. Faceted gems that are bezel-set or flush-mounted (= most men's rings) have to be cleaned behind the stone very regularly to maintain appearance. Make sure there is easy access for a toothbrush to reach the pavilion.

Just like with curb rash on your alloy wheels, you will scrape it up when you least expect it. Like reflexively reaching under the car for an errant pingpong ball or an orange that rolls away as you are unloading groceries. These are not hypotheticals. :cool2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results