shape
carat
color
clarity

Explaining the term "negligible" on AGS DQD''s

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LesleyH

Brilliant_Rock
I was sifting through a pile of papers today trying to catch up on filing (my least favorite task) and I found one from the AGS Labs dated November 20, 2002. It was about their decision to replace the term "inert" and "faint" fluorescence with the term "negligible" on their DQD's (Diamond Quality Documents aka certificates). So I decided to share it with you all to clarify it. I know this topic has come up in previous threads.

Effective January 1, 2003 the terms "inert" and "faint" were replaced with a single descriptor, "negligible". The definition of the term "negligible" is "not important or significant enough to be worth considering".

The Gemological Committee of the AGS Labs felt that "inert" is too absolute a term and that depending on the strength of the long ultraviolet fluorescence source, some diamonds described as "inert" might exhibit a minute amount of fluorescence. They concluded with the fact that since the beauty of a diamond that is truly inert or exhibits "faint" fluorescence is not adversely affected in any way, the term "negligible" would be more appropriate and more accurate.

I'll have to keep cleaning up...maybe I'll come up with some more historical documents to share!!
loopy.gif

LesleyH
www.whiteflash.com

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
That's a big help, Lesley. And, thanks much for sharing the info with us. So many terms regarding Flour, it's nice to know the new standard!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results