shape
carat
color
clarity

Explain planinum ring process

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamondjane

Rough_Rock
I am really new to all this, so please ignore my lack of knowledge. Can someone tell me how a custom platinum ring is made?

Here''s how my mind works:

Ring is it made from a long 2.5 mm platinum wire, bent to a size 5 1/5 ring shank. The basket made of more platinum wire, bent into a circle (bottom of the basket), soldered. After that 4 more snip of platinum wire = 4 prongs; soldered at 2, 4, 8 and 10
6.gif
0. Solder the whole thing together and voila, you get a ring.

Let me know if I''m on the right track.

confused.gif

AmPm

Rough_Rock
Hi Diamondjane,
Not a bad concept for a novice! You have the basic gist of it.
Obviously the manufacturing process will vary depending on the design ( the more complex etc..) Sounds like your talking about a basic four prong solitaire? Usually the setting would be made first to seat the stone, this can be done by using wire as you said or chenier (hollow tube) in which prongs could be filed out of or soldered to.
Then the metal for the band is rolled out to the desired width and thickness and turned up to form the shape of the band, then
the file and emery stick are used for further detail (as with the setting) the setting and band are the polished before soldering setting to band.
Stone is set then the final polish.
And you've got yourself a neat little solitaire!
appl.gif

StevL

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Or you can die strike the shank as one piece and the 4 prong head as a second. Then simply weld these two together. Just a few minutes of labor from start to finish and it produces a very high quality product.

The draw back is the set up for die striking is *very expensive*.

Note: micro welding platinum produces a much better product than soldering

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results