shape
carat
color
clarity

Expiration dates for women (including long hair. :) )

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
kelpie|1305577736|2923336 said:
slg47|1305577053|2923316 said:
kelpie|1305576877|2923311 said:
In my mind there's only one rule: velour jump-suits should not be worn from the ages 30-69. In between and it either screams "I give up on life" or "I stole my 14 year old's Juicy Couture".

actually I don't think there is an acceptable age for the velour pants with "JUICY" on the rear.

just my opinion!

What if you're a **** star looking to stay warm between takes?

I've always joked that I was going to start a comparable "BEEFY" line for women who can't get away with "Juicy."

slg47

Ideal_Rock
In my mind there's only one rule: velour jump-suits should not be worn from the ages 30-69. In between and it either screams "I give up on life" or "I stole my 14 year old's Juicy Couture".

actually I don't think there is an acceptable age for the velour pants with "JUICY" on the rear.

just my opinion!

well then those pants might be perfectly appropriate!

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
As a 42 year old who wore a bikini just 3 months ago, I plan to continue wearing them until they no longer look good on me. Same with my mini-skirts. I've never worn leggings or tight vests or see-through blouses, so no issue there. As far as the long hair, well, I'm growing it out again and plan to rock it as well. My days of stilettos are over, however, so I will stick with wedge heels from now on.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
slg47|1305578048|2923346 said:

just my opinion!

well then those pants might be perfectly appropriate!

Do **** stars last that long?

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
I didn't even look at the list, because I knew it would just irritate me.
I think lists like that are sort of like the self-proclaimed 'gurus' who make pronouncements like 'everyone should have a pair of black pants' or 'don't go out without mascara'.
Depends on the person.
Most of the things I hate looking at on older women also look awful on younger women. Really plunging decollete; butt-shorts (why are these back in style again?); gaps between shirts and tops so that belly buttons stick out (and muffin tops are worse)--
but I don't believe in these blanket rules.
Sometimes they are just for dumb reasons. All women kept their long hair until about 1925 for their whole lives, and the flappers cut theirs off, and when the flappers got old (in the 1960's, 1970's) they kept up a certain style of dressing, coats with fur collars, pearls, boxy handbags and short hair, which then started to say 'older women' to the hippie youth of the 1960's. I don't know how that turned into, got old, must cut hair.
I always looked wretched in a bikini, because I am very chesty and also short, not just exposed, but all those widening horizontal lines. I looked horrible in bikinis when I was 20 and had a pre-baby figure (I won't say, good figure, because I still have a good figure, but let's face is, stretch marks on display are not good no matter how fit you are otherwise). So I didn't wear bikinis then and I don't now. I am 55. I have a 52 year old friend however, who makes all the heads turn in her bikini. (she also still has very long blonde hair, grey is being touched up now, but frankly, it looks great and so does she). I always had good legs, however. And I'm short. Shorter women do not look good in long draggy skirts, which overwhelm them and put on weight. My skirts are not right up under my butt, but they are certainly a good bit above my knees, and for the moment, they are staying there. I will also keep wearing shorts as soon as summer hits, rather than long pants. With my figure I find it hard to find long pants that fit well. I'm a combination of narrow hips and short legs. Petite pants don't fit--they're much too hipper. Junior pants fit well--but they tend to say 'hot babe' in pink sequins across the butt and to have rips in the knees. If I DID want to make a rule about what not to wear when you're over 18, I would definitely put pants that say 'hot babe' in pink sequins across the butt on this list (as well as shirts that say things like 'don't you wish you were my boyfriend), so I avoid long pants (unless I made them myself) and wear skirts. Usually above the knee. I like everything, skirts and shorts about a hands width above my knees and my knees are not wrinkly, and if they get wrinkly, I will probably jsut wear thicker stockings. So there.
As I get older, my clothes tend to get more classic in general, especially for work/church situations and I try to make them appropriate for the venue I am at, but I do rock styles that are flattering for me as basically, a petite woman. I love the cropped jacket look and yes, even the cropped hoodie look, after years of drowning in my clothes. I notice other women my age, who are petite, look nice in these styles too, while taller and heavier young girls do not. It's a proportion thing. I wear tons of ethnic clothes, which are great usually for petites, the rest of the world often being smaller than the US (I don't go around in dirndl skirts, but I love a cheongsam for formal wear, and I love Indian suits, not the ones with the baggy salwar pants, but the ones with the narrow legged churidar pants). I also totally hang around used clothes stores and consignment shops, because people are often consigning clothes from the old days, when they were more carefully fitted--and more women were petite. Basically, I try it on and see how it looks (in a full length mirror) and look at myself from the rear and look at myself sitting down and decide if I will be comfortable with it, whether it is something classic or something trendy. I also do listen to advice--from people I trust. If my husband says, maybe you don't want to go out in that, I will listen. But on the other hand, if my teenage son says, I'm embarrassed to be with you in that, Mom. I ignore it.

I figure I can't be doing too badly, as many, many women come to me for fashion advice.

Do you know, one of my sons once forbade me to go to volunteer at his school and said straight out that he only wanted me there if I gained weight and started wearing sweatsuits 'like a REAL mom'?

I mean, really.

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
Side note: They would never write some dumb article about what women are too old to wear in France.

One reason I love to hang out with my French lady friends is that all of them, including the ones who are in their eighties are confident and stylish. I went to lunch with an 85 year old the other day and she jsut looked so great, she had just had her hair styled and put on this GREAT bright blue hat that she had to have got somewhere that catered to teenagers, it was so cool, and cocked it over her eye at just the right angle--

My husband went to Belgium when he was about thirty and came back raving about how all the fifty and even sixty years old women there had great figures and had on miniskirts with tailored jackets and just looked so sexy.

No nonsense about, let's give up now, women have an expiration date (but men don't....?)

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Black Jade|1305582648|2923427 said:
Side note: They would never write some dumb article about what women are too old to wear in France.

One reason I love to hang out with my French lady friends is that all of them, including the ones who are in their eighties are confident and stylish. I went to lunch with an 85 year old the other day and she jsut looked so great, she had just had her hair styled and put on this GREAT bright blue hat that she had to have got somewhere that catered to teenagers, it was so cool, and cocked it over her eye at just the right angle--

My husband went to Belgium when he was about thirty and came back raving about how all the fifty and even sixty years old women there had great figures and had on miniskirts with tailored jackets and just looked so sexy.

No nonsense about, let's give up now, women have an expiration date (but men don't....?)[/quote]

Oh, they SO do. Like being doused in cologne...please, don't do that after you're club age.

With men though, it's kind of the opposite problem...many of them seem to want to go into fogie clothes before their time. I mean it's like, dude, you can't wear that in public...those are pajamas. With dark dress socks. And shoes that shouldn't go with dress socks.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Black Jade|1305582648|2923427 said:

No nonsense about, let's give up now, women have an expiration date (but men don't....?)

Co-sign.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
men basically wear the same clothes from age 15 to 85...so I don't see a need for an 'expiration date'

ETA this is precisely the problem...guys will wear the same pair of (worn out) pants for 5-6 years!

I am quite upset with the poster that said something along the lines of "it's called a wanna-be after 50" or whatever.

Take it for what it is, but I'm 27 and I find that idea very insulting to older women that take care of themselves and still look darn good (or better) in some of those styles.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Expiration dates shouldn't be so general. I have long hair, and take great care of it. It's not that long but well below my shoulder blades. I am turning 50 this Jan and this study cracks me up.

Would I wear a mini skirt?? No. Could I ?? Yes but to me that's for my daughter to wear...

I stopped wearing shorts ages ago. My kids think that's nuts as I am slim and trim but I just think I am more conservative...I do wear a bikini by our pool in FLA... But usually have a cover up on as well.

My hair really is my crowning glory... I don't shive a git what a survery says... I take great care of it, and it's ME....

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kaleigh|1305592466|2923540 said:
My hair really is my crowning glory... I don't shive a git what a survery says... I take great care of it, and it's ME....

I don't shive a git ......... Hahahaha.
Great phrase, Kal. :appl:

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
Kaleigh|1305592466|2923540 said:
Expiration dates shouldn't be so general. I have long hair, and take great care of it. It's not that long but well below my shoulder blades. I am turning 50 this Jan and this study cracks me up.

Would I wear a mini skirt?? No. Could I ?? Yes but to me that's for my daughter to wear...

I stopped wearing shorts ages ago. My kids think that's nuts as I am slim and trim but I just think I am more conservative...I do wear a bikini by our pool in FLA... But usually have a cover up on as well.

You go, girl.
I bet your husband is not complaining.
I have heard many men complain about how often the long hair gets the chop right after the honeymoon, in the name of 'convenience'.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't think there are any actual expiration dates, but I do think that women and men of all ages should wear flattering clothing. As in not too tight, the right colors/shapes for your complexion/body, etc. And clothing should be appropriate for the event and season. It's perfectly acceptable for a woman of any age to wear shorts to an outdoor event in the summer-why shouldn't she? It's hot out! I'm not going to sweat to death because someone deems my legs too old for shorts!

Maybe don't bust out the 1" inseam shorts, but then again, I don't think anyone should wear those, so I guess that's beside the point. Seriously, it blows my mind to see these young teenaged girls at the mall, with their PARENTS, wearing shorts so short that I can see the bottom of their asses. WHY?

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree thing - my knees are past their expiration date, but there are times when only a pair of shorts will do in the summer. I gave up on bikinis a long time ago though... about the same time Christie Brinkley declared that she was no longer posing in bikinis!

CherryBlossom

Shiny_Rock
Pish tosh! I'm never going to cut my hair short. Although it would be scary a part of me also wants grey hair... long grey hair...

mature_women_long_hairstyle-270x300.jpg article-1196371-05851E49000005DC-864_468x286.jpg

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thing--I can wait to be able to rock an awesome gray bob and wear dark red lipstick. I think red lipstick looks so good with gray hair.

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
I love nice-looking grey hair.
I decided long ago that I would not dye my hair when it gets gray until I saw what it would look like first undyed. Some people need some something (I'm not familiar with these terms) to combat a yellowish look or something--but then again, sometimes whatever it is is too much. When I was young you would see old ladies with blue hair, but that's not common now.
My hair is slow greying, which is genetic, I have some but it's not easily seen yet, I'm almost 54. The thing is though, it's all on the top of my head so far, and in the middle--skunk streak, anyone?

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
I think that model looks so great with her long grey hair.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Hey, Helen Mirren was 63 when this photo was taken and published all over the world. So take that list and dump it. If you can pull it off, whatever "it" is, then go for it.

I, however, have given up shorts in public. I noticed the knee sag years ago. Thank God for capris.

hm in a bikini.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results