shape
carat
color
clarity

Experts! Which one?!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

james100

Rough_Rock
Hi Guys,
Firstly this website is just marvelous! and I am really getting to find out more about diamonds thanks to everyone here.

Gone into several sites and at Good Old Gold saw several nice stones. Now! would anyone please give me some feedback on these stones.

I found them at:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/1_25ct_-_1_50ct.htm

all with GIA cert, megascope AGS ideal, polish/symm-ex/ex, flr-nil,light return- excellent, ..

a)1.27 D VS2 H&A BS- H,VH,H GIA-jan02/03 $10562(credit)/$10330(wire) 7.05/7.09/4.27 , D/T- 60.4/55%

b)1.27 E VS2 H&A BS- VH,H,H GIA-mar05/03 no price shown, 6.98/7.03/4.3, D/T-61.4/56% ,thin-med, f

c)1.29 E VS2 H&A BS- H,VH,H GIA-jul30/02 $ nil / $9977(wire) 7.05/7.09/4.29, D/T-60.7/55% ,thin-med,f

d)1.32 E VS@ H&A BS- VH,VH,VH GIA-nil? $9663Credit)/$9450(W) ???

e)1.41 G VS@ H&A, BS- H,VH,VH GIA-may23/03 $10174(Credit)
/$9977(W) 7.29/7.33/4.39, D/T-60.1/57, thin-med,f

Which one of these would you recommend and why? I had always only looked at DEF color but not sure if I should consider the 1.41 ct stone? Not sure why for (d) the GIA report is not attached?

Do you know other websites with such great stones,
documentation and refund policies ?The other one they offered was not my favorite.

thks,
James
appl.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi James & welcome--

Being a proud owner of a G stone..I think G is a great way to skimp a little on the cost and make up for it with ctw. Since it looks as though you may think similarly, I would highly recommend expanding the search to G colors. Your stone selection will broaden.

*Personally* I wouldn't waste $$ on a D color. Some may disagree. But if you are going for a nice balance of color, clarity, ctw, and cut, I would do something like an F or G VS2/SI1 with an excellent over-the-top cut and spend your $10k that way. My stone is a G VS1 and I love the combo. Can't see a thing under 10x mag with my eye!! The G is very white...I get compliments on it all the time.

Did you see this stone on GOG's site?
http://www.goodoldgold.com/1_37ct_g_vs2_1.htm

It's a 1.37c G VS2 AGS 1 stone. What is interesting is that even though the Sarin results place it in the AGS 1category, the Bscope results are just as good as some of the stones you posted. However, this is not a true H&A stone. But it's a great stone for fitting a tight budget!! Not sure if that's you though.

I think this is one you were considering (1.32 E VS2)
http://www.goodoldgold.com/1_32ct_e_vs2_h&a.htm

I wouldn't necessarily go for that one unless you really like COLOR light in a stone. As you can see by the Bscope image, the results are H, VH, H which are only 'okay' in my eyes..and the color light is almost off the chart. Compare this Bscope image to another one where the bars are more insync and you will see that this stone will most likely fire lots of colored light back at you but not a whole lot of 'white brilliance'. The arrows are shorter, chunkier too. Interesting!

Same for the 1.29 E VS2...pretty stone though...but lots of colored light. It's a preference thing. I think this one looks better on Bscope than the 1.32 though.

The 1.27 E VS2 looks good, the Bscope results are more spread out, compare this Bscope image to the 1.29 and 1.32 and you will see the differences in the color light being reflected. Which do you like better?

The D VS2 is not that impressive to me, the Bscope results are far from being excellent in my opinion. Plus you are paying the premium for the D color.

(PS I think something is wrong with some of the sales pages on GOG, as the Bscope results bars show one thing but the info at the top of the sale page says another..Rhino you should look into this!)

Out of all of them...it's really hard to say. Do you like the colored light or are you going for more of a VH VH VH across all the board and getting a more consistent looking stone?

I found this one also:

http://www.niceice.com/certcopies/gia11793630/index.htm
1.30 G SI1 $8200 AGS 0 -Great IdealScope image!

Anyway my two cents. I'd love to hear more about what you think about the stones, color light, etc. There aren't too many stones within this ctw range (1.25-1.45) for whatever reason across the vendors...so you may be more limited than say, someone looking at a 1c range.

Good luck!!
1.gif

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Luv that 1.37 VS 2 G! Very well done Mara!
appl.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks G...gotta give some luv to those non-ideal stones yanno!
1.gif

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
I can always take them if none wants them
1.gif
. I'm generous, huh?
2.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Get in line!
1.gif

james100

Rough_Rock
Thanks Mara,
Well it would be good to have stones with ratings of VH VH VH but as you rightly pointed out, which I didn't realise in the first place, white brilliance is important for me.

The 1.37 g vs2 stone has got 2 clouds and natural indent around its perimeter and do I see a bit more light leakage ?Will it in any way affect the stone when it is mounted? Is it due to it not being cut symmetrically that it doesn't exhibit the 'full' hearts & arrows pattern?

The second issue is also the colour and I can tell the difference if it is a g or f color and not sure how this stone will be able to measure up in that aspect.

Wonder if Goodasgold have got better stones in their 'wardrobe'!

Anyone else has got any opinion to share!
appl.gif

James
wink2.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would give Rhino a jingle and see what else he has up his sleeve.

The 1.37 is not perfectly symmetrical which is one reason that its not H&A. But the light return is pretty good and the Bscope looks great. However, if you have a higher budget than that $8k, you are probably right to consider a H&A over a non....depending on your feel.

Have you seen G vs F in person? I didn't see a visual difference between an E and a G when the stones were unset, and neither did my fiance, but then again, everyone's eyes are different.

1.gif
Your budget is healthy. I would keep looking for H&A up to G color and you should be fine!
1.gif

james100

Rough_Rock
Well Mara,
I PMed him, about this thread. I'll wait for his response!
I have seen the stones in the jewellery shops and there is some sort of difference especially when you tilt it.

Thks,
J
appl.gif

james100

Rough_Rock
Hi Rhino,
I brought this up for you as you couldn't find it !

I have noticed that for the 1.27 E VS2 stone -no prices are indicated, and no clarity analysis report is available. Similarly for the 1.32 E VS2 stone , there is no clarity analysis and copy of GIA cert available ?!? For stone 1.29E VS2, no credit price is shown,

So maybe these information may sway me to you! But of course PRICE could be the final deciding factor so....

Cheers,
J

Quote:

'Hi James,

Can't find the thread you mention exactly but I have posed an interesting question to both you and Mara in this thread ... https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/now-9k-10k-budget-whats-available.7213/

I fear you may be rejecting perfectly beautiful stones of ours for faulty reasons. The H&A diamonds we have in the 1.25ct - 1.49ct zone are incredibly beautiful and rare stones. We will not purchase optical duds and they are not any less inferior to any brand including Whiteflash, superbcert, etc. I'm punching this out a little late so I can't expound further but drop me a response to this and I'll expound further in email tomorrow. I think our 1.32ct E VS2 is PERFECT to your call. That or the 1.29ct or 1.27ct E VS's. I'd just hate to lose you elsewhere from a site that will at best only give you Sarin info.

The reason I mention this is becuase we just lost a client because he couldn't get a princess cut from us that was a triple VH on the B'scope and didn't purchase from us because of that reason yet decided on a stone with another vendor that does not provide light analysis and the numbers he told me the stone had I KNEW would be an optical disaster yet because it looked good to his amateur eye chose it over my stone (that had 2/3 VH's!!!).

Peace,
Rhino'
wavey.gif

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks Jim. Just filled in all the blanks for ya.
1.gif

james100

Rough_Rock
Hi Rhino,
You're most welcome! Just had a look again and wondered if you could provide some notes on the clarity analysis for 1.27EVS2, 1.27DVS2 and 1.32 VS2 so that readers understand how and where the 'blemishes' are located or embedded and will it bee seen by the naked eye. The price for credit of 1.29 is still missing.

J
wavey.gif

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You've just given me my first "todo" when I get in tomorrow. :razz: I don't think I'll be up too early though.
1.gif

james100

Rough_Rock
Hi Rhino,
Out of curiosity ,I ran a HCA caluculation and here's the results:
1.27dvs2- ex/ex/ex/vg 1.1ex within the TIC range

1.27evs2- vg/vg/vg/vg 2.0vg worth buying if price is right

1.29evs2- ex/ex/ex/vg 0.7ex within TIC range

1.32evs2- ex/ex/vg/vg 1.7ex within TIC range

But these results do not tally with that of the brilliantscope results shown with each stone. Could someone enlighten me about the difference?
I wanted to also compare the results from the GemAdvisor but only the last stone has it on the site, Rhino would you kindly show the comparison .

J

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Bscope results normally are not set to match the HCA if I am not mistaken? HCA is a virtual score on how the diamond may perform. Bscope is in person, the stone's performance.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results