shape
carat
color
clarity

Experts please weigh in on this diamond

Daniel S.

Rough_Rock
I came across this 0.901 G SI1 in my diamond searches and it caught me off guard:

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=AGS-1040375560001

Specs:
Table %: 57.2
Depth %: 61.9
Crown %: 15.2
Crown Angle: 35.4
Star %: 55.0
Pav Angle: 40.9
Pavillion %: 43.1
Lower Girdle %: 77.0
Girdle: Thin to Medium Faceted

What strikes me is the crown angle seems abnormally high. Although this stone qualifies as a Brian Gavin Signature, I don't believe it will qualify as an ACA and I'm surprised that it receives an AGS 0 cut designation with this high crown angle. This diamond also doesn't appear to benefit from "opposing degrees of depth" as Todd Gray puts it.

All of the images look really good. When I have selected diamonds in the past I have used a hybrid of the allowable range for ACAs and Todd Gray’s Superideal diamond selection range:
Depth: 59-61.7
Table: 53-57
Crown angle: 34.3-34.9
Pavilion angle: 40.6-40.9
Girdle: thin to slightly medium

Because this diamond falls out of this range and still appears to be a great diamond, is it time to expand the selection criteria? What is a good range to expand this to and still be able to find excellent looking diamonds for my very special lady?

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Slightly more green in the AGS ASET under the table where the lower half facets are, usually it is red. IS also shows slightly paler at the same location, should not be visible performance wise for stereo vision viewing. Hearts looks good.

For range, are you looking for well cut H&A? If so, the range is usually much narrower as cutter are following the cut parameters of the brand, if not and an idealscope image is available I would go a much wider range, using the HCA as a rejection tool before asking for idealscope image.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results