shape
carat
color
clarity

Experts please help, How are these Princess Sarin angles?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ludik

Rough_Rock
Ok I got another contender... any feedback appreciated! thanks! I need to buy sooon :}

Sarin #s

5.09x5.09
depth %68.8
Crown angle 38.5
Crown %10.3
Pavil angle 60
Pavil depth %56
Table 67.6
Girdle 2.4% (2.3-2.5)

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I suggest you run your numbers through the AGA DIY (do it youreself) cut grader on www.gemappraisers.com It is free for your use and will give you some good info. It will NOT predict your overall, total satisfaction with light performance, but it is a pretty good predictive, screening tool. It won't advise you to proceed with a poor stone, that's for sure.

There are some diamonds cut with odd parameters that perform well with light. They are bargains, price-wise, but mostly because they are not sought after....They are less popular. Some of this is for good reason and possibly some of them will be future branded super cuts. We'll see....

ludik

Rough_Rock
Thanks..

But Im a bit confused. What makes the above paremeters odd?

Ive asked with a couple different diamonds and no one has responded yet as to what angle ranges for a princess I should be looking for..??? Can someone please fill me in because this info isnt anywhere I can find.
read.gif
15.gif

thanks
21.gif

EDIT: So i ran it through the DIY cut grader and everything comes out to 1A, and the regulars numbers seem good.. What about these numbers could give me incite into why this might be a poor performer? just trying to learn... thanks

ludik

Rough_Rock
no one can offer some incite for me???
sick.gif

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
-----------
Ive asked with a couple different diamonds and no one has responded
yet as to what angle ranges for a princess I should be looking
for..???
-----------

That's because it's a whole different ballgame with judging performance of a princess cut by angle information than it is with a round.

A round has one straight angle from the girdle to the table in the form of a crown main facet, and one straight angle from the girdle to the culet in the form of a pavilion main facet. When you have these angle measurements along with related information you can get a fairly good idea of the probable optical performance of that round stone.

If you view a princess cut from the side however, you'll see that it actually has several different angles on the slope of the crown and slope of the pavilion. It is much more complex to predict a probable optical performance because of the numerous variables introduced by these different crown and pavilion angles. Not many people have the tools or the time to figure this out for you.

A better (and much quicker) way to judge optical performance of a non-round fancy make is to use hard optical evidence, such as an IdealScope image. This gives you hard information instead of performance theory based on numbers.

That's why most dealers/appraisers will tell you that a fancy shape really has to be seen to be judged. Tools like the AGA Cut Class scale and IdealScope images will be a great help in getting you to that decision making point though.

ludik

Rough_Rock
Ok thanks Richard. I totally understand your response.. but what Im still confused about is why on initial response someone would suggest that this is an "ODD" stone.. (correct me if im wrong)..

So my question is what about these numbers would suggest it has odd parameters? Or is that not what David meant when he mentioned that..

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I did not mean to imply your diamond was "odd". I was saying that parameters cannot predict the performance of odd stones. Your is pretty much the norm, but still needs some measuring of light or a visual exam to prove to you it is the one to purchase.

What Rich has said about measuring angles on anything but round diamonds is correct. The anlges on fancy shapes can vary widely and have no apparent effect on beauty.

ludik

Rough_Rock
Oh ok. That helps then.. I thought from the way you mentioned odd parameters that you were referring to this stone.. Thanks for clearing it up.. I will be looking further into this stone now.. thanks for your help!
37.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results