shape
carat
color
clarity

Experts'' opinions please: Is this a good diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

curtdawg

Rough_Rock
Hello,

I am hoping for any opinions on this round brilliant diamond quoted to me for $4505 USD. Here are the specifications:

1.01ct AGS proportion report “Excellent”
SI2 I
Diameter 6.33 – 6.42mm
Depth 4.02 mm
Depth 63%
Crown Angle 35’ Crown Height 14.6 %
Pavillion Angle 41.2’ Pavillion Depth 43.5%
Table 57.8 %
Girdle 2.4 %

This diamond scored 3.8 on the HCA.

My main questions:
-Is $4505 a good price for this diamond?
-Someone told me that the discrepancy between the min and max diameter is too large (he said the 2 figures should be within .03 of each other). Is this true?
-This same person told me that a 1ct round brilliant should have a diameter of at least 6.5mm. He said that based on the dimensions this is likely a "poor to fair" cut; In contrast, the gemologist selling this diamond told me that this diamond would be an ideal cut except that the table is 3/10th of a percentage too big, hence it is an “excellent” cut. Who is telling the truth?

I am very confused in the contrasting information I have received thus far, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Curtis

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
a 1 Ct I SI2? You can do better.

the min and max diam should be within 1% of each other.

many well-cut 1 cters don't quite reach 6.5 mm

table is fine; although I understand what the gemologist is saying, he is using a grading system that we have since moved away from. what is more important is the crown and pav angle combination for the table.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2007 6:53:21 PM
Author: JulieN

table is fine; although I understand what the gemologist is saying, he is using a grading system that we have since moved away from. what is more important is the crown and pav angle combination for the table.
Agreed. You can find something where you won''t have to second guess the HCA score, relatedly. 0 - 2 is a target that''s reasonable to shoot for, if you won''t otherwise buy one certified for 0 Light performance, with a cert from AGS otherwise.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Curtis, welcome to PS
35.gif

You can do much better than this diamond, read the tutorial on cut then start looking. Also many of the online vendors such as Whiteflash, Good Old Gold, Wink Jones etc who have all the cut info you need to make a great decision easily. They will also guide you through the process and help you pick a winner!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here''s a nice one, and just slightly under the 1 ct. mark, saving you some money. It also has strong flourescence, which if not affecting the stone negatively (rarely it will make it hazy/milky looking), may help it appear a bit brighter, and is also knocking the price down a bit. This size will give the "look" of 1 ct.

http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-231201.htm#

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results