shape
carat
color
clarity

Experts'' opinions needed -- about to wire $15k (ouch)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

about2begin

Shiny_Rock
Hi all. I had been kicking around a 3.03 ct RB but I decided that the $6,000 cost difference for 1mm in diameter wasn''t worth it to me. I''m now looking at buying this stone and wanted to see what everyone thought:

Vendor: bluenile (best price for this sort of stone -- jamesallen, WF, GOG didn''t come close -- JA almost got there but this was ~$1500 cheaper for an HCA < 2 from these vendors)
Shape: RB
Price: $14,500

Stats:

GIA: cut = ex, ex, ex
HCA = .8 (within AGS and GIA ideal/ex ranges, respectively)
2.05 ct
SI2 (eyeclean -- allegedly--just assume this is true b/c if it isn''t I''m sending it back)
H

table: 57%
Depth: 60.9%
crown: 34.5
pavillion: 40.6
8.14*8.21*4.98

The inclusions are a feather on the faceted portion of the stone outside the table (doesn''t reach the girdle on the plot).

Is there any other info anyone needs to let me know if they''d consider this stone based on the stats and its price? I can''t get pictures or idealscopes but I am going to bring it to Dave Atlas (i''m local) and get those done.

Thoughts???

Thanks so much -- my GF is out getting her hair cut and I''d love to do this ASAP if it all checks out. I''ve done a ton of homework and I''ve looked at the selections on JA, WF, GOG -- I looked at the branded cuts and the general diamond searches on those sites. Like I said, this is a great looking option based on what I''ve found. If anyone has any other suggestions I''m totally open to them.

I''d love to stay: eyeclean (any clarity), I+ (prefer H), 2+ ct, ideal/ex (HCA < 2) all for < $16k.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/14/2009 1:57:29 PM
Author:about2begin
Hi all. I had been kicking around a 3.03 ct RB but I decided that the $6,000 cost difference for 1mm in diameter wasn''t worth it to me. I''m now looking at buying this stone and wanted to see what everyone thought:

Vendor: bluenile (best price for this sort of stone -- jamesallen, WF, GOG didn''t come close -- JA almost got there but this was ~$1500 cheaper for an HCA < 2 from these vendors)
Shape: RB
Price: $14,500

Stats:

GIA: cut = ex, ex, ex
HCA = .8 (within AGS and GIA ideal/ex ranges, respectively)
2.05 ct
SI2 (eyeclean -- allegedly--just assume this is true b/c if it isn''t I''m sending it back)
H

table: 57%
Depth: 60.9%
crown: 34.5
pavillion: 40.6
8.14*8.21*4.98

The inclusions are a feather on the faceted portion of the stone outside the table (doesn''t reach the girdle on the plot).

Is there any other info anyone needs to let me know if they''d consider this stone based on the stats and its price? I can''t get pictures or idealscopes but I am going to bring it to Dave Atlas (i''m local) and get those done.

Thoughts???

Thanks so much -- my GF is out getting her hair cut and I''d love to do this ASAP if it all checks out. I''ve done a ton of homework and I''ve looked at the selections on JA, WF, GOG -- I looked at the branded cuts and the general diamond searches on those sites. Like I said, this is a great looking option based on what I''ve found. If anyone has any other suggestions I''m totally open to them.

I''d love to stay: eyeclean (any clarity), I+ (prefer H), 2+ ct, ideal/ex (HCA < 2) all for < $16k.
Hi atb!

It looks very promising and as you are taking it to Dave then thats great - you are in excellent hands!

Please keep us posted!

about2begin

Shiny_Rock
L:

Thanks as always. I appreciated your feedback on the 3ct but like I mentioned, the 1mm difference was not worth $6-7,000 after the setting (I''m leaning toward LM and have placed a call to him already)

The HCA comes back ex, ex, ex, and vg for spread (which I understand you can lose some on well cut stones)

Oh and girdle: medium to slightly thick faceted

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/14/2009 2:01:45 PM
Author: about2begin
L:

Thanks as always. I appreciated your feedback on the 3ct but like I mentioned, the 1mm difference was not worth $6-7,000 after the setting (I'm leaning toward LM and have placed a call to him already)

The HCA comes back ex, ex, ex, and vg for spread (which I understand you can lose some on well cut stones)

Oh and girdle: medium to slightly thick faceted
Most welcome! No worries on the other diamond, sometimes as the process continues, things click into place and as we compare and learn more our priorities may change a bit!

With the HCA no worries there either, it is the shallower diamonds which normally get Ex on spread, most well cut rocks get VG.

Girdle is right in the sweet spot.

about2begin

Shiny_Rock
Awesome. Is there any way to do a simulated image of the stone based on the stats?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/14/2009 3:56:42 PM
Author: about2begin
Awesome. Is there any way to do a simulated image of the stone based on the stats?
Storm or John might be able to do so, as you know though ASET or IS is more useful and representative of the actual diamond. Maybe Dave will be able to show it to you through ASET or IS!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results