shape
carat
color
clarity

Experts:How does Table and Depth effect size appearance

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Jeff

Rough_Rock
I''m looking at Princess cuts and wanted to know how the Table and Depth will effect how large the diamond looks. If the diamond has a large depth percentage (over 75) will it look smaller than a diamond with a depth of 65 or 70? Also, how does the table size change the size appearance? What would be a good table and depth to look for to maximize the size appearance without sacrificing light return. Thanks
read.gif

ukstipe

Rough_Rock
Hi
No one has responded to you!! Not very nice. I have been doing a lot of research and have found that size appearance is mostly based on the spread....ie the dimensions across the top in millimetres. A 1.5c usually has around 7.4mm diameter lets say. Table doesn't have too much impact as you could have various table percentages but the diameter around the girdle is not going to change. However, a deeper depth percentage indicates you have a bit more weight in the pavillion (ie beneath the ring which isn't seen when the ring is set), so comparing identicle weighted stones, the spread on a stone with a deeper depth percentage tends to be less than that for a shallower depth percentage. This is not always the case. You need to look at dimensions for lots of stones and kind of build up in your mind what a large or small spread is for a given sized diamond. Don't go too shallow or you lose light return. You need that depth to help the internal light come back out the top rather than the sides.

jenntheten

Rough_Rock
The spread on a 1.5 princess would be closer to the 6.5 range----you get more "bang for your buck" in that area on almost any other shape. I have a 1.5 princess and was SHOCKED when I realized how much "larger" a 1.5 round looks! WOW!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results