color
clarity

Expert/Professional Opinions on Inherited Sapphire Ring Wanted

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Hello Everyone!
I'm new to this site, Although I've been a lurker here for a few years (;
I originally posted this in the Antique/Vintage section, but also would love
the opinions of you lovely colored-gemstone people!
I am graduating college soon and will also be getting engaged.
My mother has had this ring for as long as I can remember, and I've always admired it.
Because so, she has decided to give it to me as a graduation gift. (So kind!)
Even if its not worth much its sentimental value is enormous to me and I just adore the ring.
It's never been looked at by a trained eye, nor has it ever been evaluated or appraised.
I'm still deciding if I want to use it as my engagement ring, although I'm in love with it, It's still a tough decision
as I will be wearing it for the rest of my life!
I was hoping that the more experienced PSers could give me their honest opinion on the sapphire, it's quality and the
ring as a whole.

Its set in platinum and has little diamond accents surrounding the sapphire in an art deco type setting.
Any opinions on the possible age of the piece or the name of the style of this type of ring is also welcomed (:
I'm not for sure that its a genuine sapphire, but I'm leaning towards yes as there is what seems to be color zoning going on. Also, which is better for colored stones, AGL or GIA?
Hopefully the pictures attached properly!
sapphirering1.jpg sapphirering11.jpg sapphirering5.jpg sapphirering14.jpg sapphirering4.jpg sapphirering10.jpg
All opinions/advice/information is welcome and highly appreciated! (:

Ariadne_Theia

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I have no idea but I just wanted to say that ring is gorgeous!!

oneam

Shiny_Rock
Premium
No knowledge to share, but that ring is SUBLIME! Enjoy!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My, what a stunning ring.
To my eye it does seem Art Deco or thereabouts (1930. - 1940) It is possible the sapphire is a synthetic. The use of synthetic sapphires was very common, even in quality gold and diamond rings around this period. And back then, they weren’t “cheap”, people loved them for their beautiful and superb blue colour.
Synthetic sapphires are the exact same chemical composition as natural ones so you need a bit more of a thorough investigation using a Loupe / microscope to distinguish between natural ones and man made.
Your local jeweller might not have the equipment or experience to ID the gem correctly so you should consider sending it to AGL for a report.
It would be worthwhile knowing for sure, a natural, unheated sapphire of that size would be worth a considerable sum of money and should be insured accordingly.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Woweee!!! I love that ring. I'm not sure whether either lab will report on the stone without dismantling it from the setting.

It sure is beautiful! I can see why you've admired it forever.

I would not let your fiancé get off the hook for buying you an engagement ring. :roll In my opinion, your graduation gift from your mother should be separate from your gift in promise of marriage from your fiancé. Right?

You can wear the sapphire ring on your right hand. Wow. :geek:

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a gorgeous ring. The setting is just beautiful. :love:

I would send it to AGL for a report. It’s best to make sure it’s the real deal, especially if you’re really considering it for an engagement ring. It costs a little more, since it’s mounted, but it’s totally doable.

Personally, I agree that the fiancé should be buying you an engagement ring separately from your mother’s graduation gift. I could understand if it was a piece passed down through his family but not through yours. That’s just my opinion and you know what works best for you two. Another option, if you aren’t totally in love with the setting (and if the sapphire turns out to be legit)...you could remount the sapphire in a new ring (paid for by the fiancé). That’s a best of both worlds situation. I really love it just as it is though. I like @ringo865 idea of wearing it on your right hand.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Bron357- Thank you so much! I appreciate your efforts in trying to help me I.D. this guy. I understand that past a certain point, It just needs to be sent in to verify whether its all natural or not. Like I said, It's extremely sentimental so even if it is synthetic, I'll still love it and wear it with pride. I remember admiring it when I was 8/10 years old. Oh and also, its very hard to spot in these pictures (for me at least), but the sapphire has an arch in one of the corners where its lighter, I believe its called color zoning?!, but would a synthetic have it also?

ringo865- Thanks for the advice, hopefully AGL will be able to properly identify it in setting, but If not It might be worth it to have it taken out and then put back in if I can find a competent jeweler who has experience in vintage settings/rings. Hahahaha, and that's another issue that I grapple with, even though I LOVE the ring, and am pretty darn sure that I want a colored stone for my engagement ring; it's still a funny feeling to know that he wouldn't have to buy my engagement ring. Although, it'd be cute if he had to go straight to my mother to get the ring and also ask for her permission? I think I might end up using it, and if so then I'll just have one helluva sapphire-platinum wedding band to match, from him, or We'll create a dream sapphire, ruby, or emerald engagement ring together and I'll wear this as a right hand ring. But I do really love it!

Thanks guys!
Loving everyone's opinions!
Also, If someone thinks that its not a natural sapphire, please let me know and why!
I'm here to learn, and not much will hurt my feelings.

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I guess I’m the odd man out. I wear most of my rings on my left hand. I’ve been married forever and don’t wear my original rings, nor do I have them. I’ve upgraded the diamond twice and my band once. Actually, my original stone came from my aunt. But I lost the band and my attitude changed. I have several bands now. I wear whichever one suits me that day. I wear various CS rings with my bands. I don’t care what I wear. I just like to wear something. If I had it to do over, I wouldn’t have a diamond ring. I would’ve chosen a fabulous CS ring that was unique and special. I would much rather wear what I want than worry about a “forever” ring. I never required that my husband give me a ring that he bought. I didn’t care. Looking back, I’d rather have saved the money. There’s lots of time and occasions for rings in life.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
@elle_71125 Thank you for your input! I'm glad you like the ring! If I do decide to use it as my engagement ring, I definitely need to know that it's a natural stone. While I will admire and wear it with pride if its synthetic, it just wont be my engagement ring. & those are all great ideas if I ever get tired of the setting, but I love it as is so much, and it's been my mothers since I was probably 3 or 4 years old so it's a special one. Oh and is that a tourmaline? in your profile picture? ouuuuuuch, so bright! love it!

@MrsKMB I get what your saying! I've always held the idea that all should do as they like, and do what works for them and I think that while we all have different personal preferences here, that we all realize and believe each person should do what works for them. & for me this ring is a definite runner for my engagement ring! I guess I'm not as traditional as most women, and also don't abide by all norms, that saying...I do understand these traditions and admire people who love them!

Thanks for everyone's two cents!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’d definitely wear that as an engagement ring, it’s a stunner.
It can be hard to ID synthetic, especially when set, but what you need to look for (a 30x magnification Loupe is better) is inclusions. “Round bubbles”, especially in a trail or of even shape and size or curved colour banding that flows over facet lines without changing direction is a sign of a synthetic. However some crystal inclusions or fluid filled bubbles, in a natural, can look like those in synthetics. That’s why it’s tricky. “Nests” of like little needles are also signs of a natural.
Don’t let the fiancé “off the hook” so to speak, he could buy you a lovely pair of diamond studs or a diamond pendant. I know a few people who have chosen a pendant or earrings as an “engagement gift” due to not wanting to wear a ring.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Send it to AGL (which would be the best place) or GIA or if you don't have the time take or send it to a decent Appraiser like Dave Atlas. You either have a really nice clean high quality sapphire or a very pretty synthetic stone, as was common from that time period. So I would find out for sure one way or the other what it is.

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It’s a beautiful ring no matter what. Your nails look awesome!

Stevie Brazen

Rough_Rock
Premium
Absolutely stunning ring! Don't use it as an engagement ring though. Firstly, it leaves no room on your finger for a wedding ring. Secondly, your fiance should buy you a lovely diamond ring for you to enjoy, in addition to your sapphire ring. Thirdly, it's a little too big for everyday wear. Elizabeth Taylor did wear the Taylor Burton Diamond all the time, but she didnt have to do all the day to day things that mere mortals do. Finally, what does your mother know about the history? Being set in platinum, chances are it is worth quite a bit.

Last edited:

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
@MrsKMB Thank you! And I was embarrassed because they feel so dry and I needed a new manicure. You're too kind. My mother used to bake like a cookie in the sun when she was younger, before she knew it wasn't good for the skin. I try to follow her advice and always wear spf on my hands. I use a lotion called Olay-Complete that has sun protection. But I'm prone to freckles and have many of them so theres probably no advoiding age spots.

@Stevie Brazen I've always been a bigger ring type of girl, but with my bf working as a prosecuter if I wanted a diamond it'd probably be a .55 CT with the specs that I want, which is beautiful and feminine and dainty but just not my style, ya know? I'm positive that I want a CS engagement ring. & Elizabeth Taylor was a goddess, and her collection of jewelry was other worldly, bless you for even mentioning her and I in the same post!
& My mother purchased it when I was around 3/4 yo, and she had to put it on layaway because it cost her a pretty penny. Shes only had two jewelers look at it, both weren't experts but just worked in retail, the first said it was synthetic, the second said it was natural and gasped.
So who knows?!
It definitely could be a synthetic and in that case it'll be a little sweet heirloom to pass on with platinum and diamonds. If it is then I'm having it insured and might possibly use it as my ER. & Then I'd have to have my fiance design a matching platinum and CS wedding ring to go on my RH.

Loving hearing everyone's opinions on the stone and ring, and even engagement ring ettiquette/ideas!
Thanks everyone!
I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who finds it beautiful.

Attached is another photo of the ring and an example (my garnet ring) of the size of diamond I'd wear if I picked a diamond. IMG_20180414_094906.jpg IMG_20180414_095048.jpg

mtsapphirelovingannie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I have know expert/professional opinions to offer. I just want to say it is a beautiful ring! :love: I love the style. I think it would be a lovely right hand ring.

leslie1956

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What a beautiful ring and unique setting! I have no expertise to offer on the sapphire. If it is real, I might want to have a safe in my home for storage as well as insurance! Regardless, enjoy your gorgeous ring :)

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nothing useful to offer other than to say it’s such a beautiful ring and the colour of the sapphire is amazing. I hope you will come back (or stay and join in) and tell us what the assessment ends up being and what you choose to do for engagement ring and wedding band.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a stunning ring! In my opinion it will be great as an engagement ring. On your other hand you and your bf could pick a fabulous diamond band as your wedding ring.
Would love to hear what you decide in the end.

corundum_conundrum

Shiny_Rock
Premium
It's an awesome ring. I think you should use it as your engagement ring and have your fiance buy you a band.

I have to admit is looks synthetic to me, just from having looked at a lot of sapphires. Nevertheless, the value it gains for me for coming from your family renders moot any value it would have gained from cooking in the earth. Your family gave it more beauty than the earth ever could.

I'll add that all of my regrets about my own wedding have to do with wasting time and money. If using this ring is a way to put a few thousand dollars elsewhere, I recommend you seize that opportunity.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The ring is gorgeous! I would not wear it as an engagement ring though. In a very short time even with care I believe you will see damage to the sapphire.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The ring is lovely, thanks for sharing.
Real or not, I hope you would wear it with pride and joy.

DK :love:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s a stunning ring and a superb family heirloom.
I will inherit my great grandmas 5 stone ruby ring. Despite the family’s “belief” they were all genuine rubies, they aren’t.
Does this matter to me? Not one little bit.
As only one of two pieces of jewellery that survived / remained in the family to be handed down, this ring will be my most important piece of jewellery.
In terms of monetary value it’s maybe a hundred or so dollars, but in terms of family history, absolutely priceless.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone!
I love hearing that you all think that it is as lovely as I do. Like someone said above the sentimentality of the piece alone makes it precious to me, but it's nice to know others enjoy it (:

It might be a good few months before I decide and find out exactly what will happen with this beauty but I no doubt will update this thread with the AGL results and my decision. The more that I think about it, the more that I think that there's a better chance that it's synthetic, which is neat as I've never owned one. If so they have the same chemical makeup as a natural, just with different origins?!? That's crazy.
I guess I've only ran into simulants but have never bought one. It's amazing that these labs can create the "real" thing.

Anyways thank you all for your comments!
I will definitely be having it checked out and a report made, which will help me make my decision.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
Looks synthetic to me as well....hope I am wrong though.
If it's real, then I think it's worth a good deal of money. A good deal of money.
I would get that sucker insured.

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
@TheGarnetGirl Sorry I’m late to the party. I was just looking at sapphire rings on the colored thread and yours is so remarkable! Did you ever send this lovely ring to AGL? Be fantastic to know if it’s a natural sapphire!

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
@TheGarnetGirl Sorry I’m late to the party. I was just looking at sapphire rings on the colored thread and yours is so remarkable! Did you ever send this lovely ring to AGL? Be fantastic to know if it’s a natural sapphire!

Hey there!!! So, after I decided that we wouldnt use it as my engagement ring, I didnt send in in and have yet to send it. It Will definetely happen but now im just not in a rush to know whatsoever!
My gut is leaning towards lab grown as its just too nice for the price my mother paid but I truly have no idea. I Will make sure to update this thread when i do decide to send it in!!! Thanks for following along (:

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
@TheGarnetGirl Thanks for the update. It’s gorgeous,synthetic or not. Fingers crossed for you however that it turns out to be a big chunk of untreated natural sapphire!

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it would be fabulous as an ER, real or synthetic...and you could have another daintier colored stone ER for days when it's not practical to wear the larger ring. =) Congrats on your coming engagement!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is one GORGEOUS ring. It is so unique. The setting is so refreshingly different with a wonderful harmony. It has radiating movement combined with stillness in the design. and even more importantly, it looks fabulous on your hand! Love that it’s an heirloom too.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results