shape
carat
color
clarity

Expert Opinons on Diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

JC123456

Rough_Rock
Hi, I recently purchased an .78 E color VS1 G VG 59 tbl 60.5 Dpth Round from a B&M - GIA cert

I reviewed alot of others and was considering online, but are there clarity issues with online? The majority always say that SI1 have no visible inclusions, but while I looked at some SI1''s at the store I found that this is not necessarily true at all, and one AGS VS2 looked like I could see a small needle when holding at certain angle.

I paid 4K and know I could have got the same thing with an ideal cut off the net for cheaper, but just don''t like the idea of buying off the net for this type of purchase (want to see before I pay)- I looked at it with an ideal next to it and could not see any sparkle difference, also in sunlight and two other types of light, only difference was I could tell which was which by the table size , but not much difference

I guess I am just looking for some reassurance that I made a reasonable purchase. I like it , what do you all think?
Thanks, this is a great site
J

When looking online I found dirtcheap had the best prices
and Mondera and Blue Nile were not too far off what I paid , but were still cheaper - And Union diamonds was inbetween both for price -

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
If your happy with it you did good.
You made your choice of the comprimises available and while it isnt one Id make it is your decision.
So my opinion is to relax kick back and enjoy it :}

sumi

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with strmrdr. You say you are happy with the diamond and you liked the sparkle. Sounds like you bought something that you really like. That's good!

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
Well, with all purchases, you can always find someone who got a better deal than you did -- someone who was darn lucky, or who had connections, or who did extensive research, or who was willing to take greater risks than you.

I found two 0.78 G VS1 stones with GIA certs online (you probably saw them too):
$3116

$3222

I guess the question is, are you asking because you want to know if you paid more than you would have on the net (obviously yes) or because you are uneasy with your purchase? You said that you did not notice any difference between your stone and one with a purported ideal cut. If you really don't value a better cut, then don't worry about that aspect of it. However, there is more information you can glean (with a Sarin analysis) that will tell you how well cut your stone is . . . at present, that is an unknown that should affect its value.

You may also have wanted to save $ or add size by going with VS2 clarity -- there's nothing wrong with avoiding SI1, but you didn't have to jump up two grades. However, many on-line vendors would help you around that issue -- eye-balling it themselves, having an appraiser look at it for you, and giving you time to return it if it doesn't live up to your expectations.

Here is a 0.80 G VS2 H&A for $3668. This is as close to seeing before you buy as it gets . . . in fact, in a case like this, you probably have more information than you'll ever have on your stone.

The point is, you already know that your stone is not ideal, and you've decided that doesn't bother you. You already know that prices on the internet are more competitive, but you aren't comfortable with that. So I guess you should just enjoy your sparkly and not look back!

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
I agree with the rest. It sounds as if you made an informed decision, and are happy with your stone. You made the risk / $$ tradeoff that worked for you, so now it's time to say congratulations!

However, that said, just for info for both you and this post, you can ususally have an online stone sent to an independent appraiser for an evaluation before you have to make any payment. If the appraiser is local to you, you can make an appoitment to view it together. If they aren't local, they will communicate with you before you make the final go/no go. This process takes most of the risk out of buying from an online vendor.

JC123456

Rough_Rock
Thanks everybody! - As long as you are happy is good point - next time I will factor in the inner'net more :)
twirl.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results