shape
carat
color
clarity

Expert opinions

princessk

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Would this F be a big difference from my existing I color diamond? I want to upgrade in color but not sure if this is worth the change. And if cut is any better? Thank you IMG_1337.png

Attachments

• IMG_1330.png
    IMG_1330.png
    303.9 KB · Views: 14

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Hello, princessk!

Here are the videos for these two:

The F color diamond doesn't have a particularly high degree of cut precision due to the pavilion twist and leakages that I'm seeing in the video.

Can we help you find some better options to pick from?

princessk

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Wow ok. That explains the pricing on the F. I’m trying to pick up on that type of thing but I just didn’t see it. So is the I better in the percentages and angles etc in the cut? Thank you

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow ok. That explains the pricing on the F. I’m trying to pick up on that type of thing but I just didn’t see it. So is the I better in the percentages and angles etc in the cut? Thank you

The I is more precisely cut and has more complementary proportions.

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
To address your general color question, have you compared I'd and F's side by side in real life?

To some ppl, an isolated I will simply look "white." Everything depends on how color sensitive you are.

I used to see M's as F's. And then I spent a few thousand hours on PS, and now I can definitely see my G as a G and my JannPaul D's as D's, especially since I wear them simultaneously (on separate hands, though).

Did you want us to look for some D-E-F comps? And if so, what's your budget? That's a beautiful I, by the way!

princessk

Shiny_Rock
Premium
To address your general color question, have you compared I'd and F's side by side in real life?

To some ppl, an isolated I will simply look "white." Everything depends on how color sensitive you are.

I used to see M's as F's. And then I spent a few thousand hours on PS, and now I can definitely see my G as a G and my JannPaul D's as D's, especially since I wear them simultaneously (on separate hands, though).

Did you want us to look for some D-E-F comps? And if so, what's your budget? That's a beautiful I, by the way!

Thank you. Yes I purchased it a couple years ago when labs were way pricier. So I’m kind of getting the itch to go up in color. Would love a stone around same size with great specs under $5000. Thanks

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
@Kim N and @DejaWiz will be able to check my homework here. But I think my circled areas are pavilion twist. Also, the arrows don't even show up en face.

For the right angles, PS has a nice chart in the education section. Offhand, crown angles 34-35 and pavilion angles 40.6-40.9 are a good way to start. There are optimal table and depth numbers, but my head can't keep them all straight without a cheat sheet. :read:

For good prices, check out LooseGrownDiamond.com. Lots of PSers have had good luck with them. Or they find a stone there and get another site to price match, if they need a particular setting from another vendor.

Hope all that helps!

F cut.jpg

princessk

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Yes thank you. This is super helpful. Loose grown is where I have been looking. I’m in Canada so ordering can be a bit tricky. Wish there was somewhere here with better prices

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Thank you. Yes I purchased it a couple years ago when labs were way pricier. So I’m kind of getting the itch to go up in color. Would love a stone around same size with great specs under $5000. Thanks

$5000 CAD or USD?
Is 11mm (around 5 cts) too much of a decrease, you think?

Last edited:

princessk

Shiny_Rock
Premium
$5000 CAD or USD?
Is 11mm (around 5 cts) too much of a decrease, you think?

I would entertain 11mm for sure. And $5000 CAD would be ideal but I may be dreaming. Our dollar sucks!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

princessk

Shiny_Rock
Premium

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
I did a deep dive but could only find stones with graining and pavilion twist. I'm sure something will eventually come along. It's a matter of time, though, in that size range. New 1-2.5's seem to show up by the hour. Just think of it this way: your 5+ is still cooking.

Plus Valentine's is around the corner, so prices might drop in a bit.

princessk

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I did a deep dive but could only find stones with graining and pavilion twist. I'm sure something will eventually come along. It's a matter of time, though, in that size range. New 1-2.5's seem to show up by the hour. Just think of it this way: your 5+ is still cooking.

Plus Valentine's is around the corner, so prices might drop in a bit.

Thank you. Yes I know I have to be patient.

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
This is a fun treasure hunt! We’ll stay on task and update from time to time. Do you have a deadline?

princessk

Shiny_Rock
Premium
This is a fun treasure hunt! We’ll stay on task and update from time to time. Do you have a deadline?

No deadline. This time I’m being patient. The longer I wait the more prices seem to fall

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results