shape
carat
color
clarity

Expert Opinions-working in a jewelry shop

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

shinythings

Shiny_Rock
I''m wondering what sort of qualifications I would need to work in a jewelry shop. I love the idea of helping people buy their engagement rings. I saw on the GIA website that they have a distance learning program where you can earn an Accredited Jewelry Professional Certificate. Do you think a jewelry shop would hire someone based on that or would you need to be a gemologist? I''m thinking of doing this as a part time job since I already am a full time grad student.
Thanks!!

CaptAubrey

Brilliant_Rock
Unfortunately, especially this time of year, there are plenty of jewelry stores who will hire the nearest warm body who can dress nicely, smile, and compute 2+2=4 when it''s time to check out a purchase.

If you''re looking to make a career of it, though, a gemological degree of one sort or another (AJP, GG, FGA, etc.) will be a big help.

shinythings

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the info! I was happy about the AJP because it it much more affordable than becoming a certified gemologist, and I thought getting one would give me an edge!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results