shape
carat
color
clarity

''expert'' opinions? possible purchase

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

daniels11

Rough_Rock
Hi there,

I was able to attach exactly what was given to me. Is this legit? There are just so many dishonest people out there so I am trying to eduacate and protect myself and my wallet!!

Thanks for the help

giabrooke11.jpg

enbcfsobe

Brilliant_Rock
Not that I profess to be an expert, but you can check a GIA cert on their website. This will tell you whether it is a valid cert number and whether the carat weight and other measurements match. Unfortunately, it says nothing about whether the stone you are being shown is the stone depicted on the cert. From my understanding, that can really only be done by matching the inclusions to the plot. It looks like that may be the ''mini cert'' version that some labs give to be adhered to the paper the diamond is held in. What you attached is not the full report -- even the old ones would still have a plot of the inclusions on them. I personally wouldn''t buy one that claimed to be GIA without seeing the full certification. If the vendor won''t supply it, I would be suspicious. Hope this helps.

Here is the "additional information" GIA had available on that stone through their report check (http://www.gia.edu/reportcheck/):

Additional Information

Crown Angle: 30.5°

Crown Height: 12.5 %

Pavilion Angle: 41°

Pavilion Depth: 43.5 %

Star length: 60 %

Lower Half: 75 %

Cut Grade: Very Good

daniels11

Rough_Rock
thanks so much. I am being a bit more hesitant because this is from a person who is just upgrading to a 2 carat, and we are doing this among ourselves

ILikeBond

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/1/2007 5:15:42 PM
Author: enbcfsobe

Not that I profess to be an expert, but you can check a GIA cert on their website. This will tell you whether it is a valid cert number and whether the carat weight and other measurements match. Unfortunately, it says nothing about whether the stone you are being shown is the stone depicted on the cert. From my understanding, that can really only be done by matching the inclusions to the plot. It looks like that may be the ''mini cert'' version that some labs give to be adhered to the paper the diamond is held in. What you attached is not the full report -- even the old ones would still have a plot of the inclusions on them. I personally wouldn''t buy one that claimed to be GIA without seeing the full certification. If the vendor won''t supply it, I would be suspicious. Hope this helps.
I thought GIA has two types of "mini-reports" (I think maybe called a "cut report" and something else?
33.gif
), which my sense was that they''re used when the person sending the stone in doesn''t want to pay the expense of the full-blown report for whatever reason.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
don''t buy diamonds on ebay!

daniels11

Rough_Rock
I know, I know I know better. I just keep wondering how/if people really can lie to you and get away with it. If something is too good to be true, it probably is. Do they really try to pass fake stones off as real and leave you with a $$$$$$ CZ?

Thanks, Belle you helped me do the right thing

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results