shape
carat
color
clarity

Expert Opinions on IdealScope Image

LIKEACA

Rough_Rock
I am certainly no expert, but this result looks similar IdealScope results with very strongly lit backlighting.

See the following thread from @Garry H (Cut Nut): https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/backlight-too-strong-on-ideal-scope-images.257809/

Hopefully some of the more experienced community members can weigh in

Thanks for the info @NeedForSpeed!

After scanning through the forums on this subject hoping to receive some feedback from possibly @Karl_K, @Kim N, @lovedogs, @Old_Fossil and others!

Any feedback is appreciated

LIKEACA

Rough_Rock
Um ... weird that they don't retake it and have an image without the blue splotch.

@0515vision, I completely agree!!

Reading my original post, which I don't think I can make edits to now, it is not clear what I was asking for (My apologies).

Looking for general commentary on the IdealScope image performance as if the blue splotch didn't exist. (I added the note on the blue splotch to explain what it was)

Thank you all!

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
I’m a relative newbie, but I’m a little concerned about the light pink ring around the center. I’ve read the term “ring of death“ on PS and wonder if this qualifies. I’ve attached a photo of a Whiteflash ACA ASET image for reference. Note how uniformly red that area is.

However, I have also read that an overpowering back light can affect ASET images. Let’s see what the experts have to say!

Attachments

• IMG_7918.jpeg
    IMG_7918.jpeg
    160.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_7917.jpeg
    IMG_7917.jpeg
    109.3 KB · Views: 6

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Always judge relative to the center of the diamond and how ligjt it is to find leakage.

I think there is probably some leakage (places where the red/pink is lighter than the center), but it's mostly strong back light.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That said, there's something about this diamond I don't love. I csnt quite put my finger on it. Maybe others will chime in to help @DejaWiz @Kim N

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
The blue is something on the stone, no way its a reflection.
It covers multiple virtual facets, some partially.
A reflection would follow virtual facet lines.

It could be an edited image but it looks more like something on the diamond because the blue does reflect on the other side.
The blue blob is not a reflection.,

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Always judge relative to the center of the diamond and how ligjt it is to find leakage.

I think there is probably some leakage (places where the red/pink is lighter than the center), but it's mostly strong back light.
I agree.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
That said, there's something about this diamond I don't love. I csnt quite put my finger on it. Maybe others will chime in to help @DejaWiz @Kim N

Weirdness between the arrows in a couple places in both the vid and IS.

LIKEACA

Rough_Rock
The blue is something on the stone, no way its a reflection.
It covers multiple virtual facets, some partially.
A reflection would follow virtual facet lines.

It could be an edited image but it looks more like something on the diamond because the blue does reflect on the other side.
The blue blob is not a reflection.,

@Karl_K thank you very much for the analysis.

Note from JA: "A reflection of where the laser inscription had been marked on the diamond prior to being sent for imaging"

My interpretation of the note pertaining to the blob, is that this blue and the word "marked" is an ink of some sort on the surface diamond.

Is this plausible or are you leaning to a defect within the diamond itself? The diamond also has "strong blue fluor" Not sure if this is what could be causing the blob

Best

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Karl_K thank you very much for the analysis.

Note from JA: "A reflection of where the laser inscription had been marked on the diamond prior to being sent for imaging"

My interpretation of the note pertaining to the blob, is that this blue and the word "marked" is an ink of some sort on the surface diamond.

Is this plausible or are you leaning to a defect within the diamond itself? The diamond also has "strong blue fluor" Not sure if this is what could be causing the blob

Best

Nope. It's ink or something

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We are talking about cut nuances, not the blob

LIKEACA

Rough_Rock
Thanks Karl!

@Karl_K & @lovedogs

I think I can see the weirdness you are referring to. Considering this is not a branded H&A, on an imagined scale of GIA XXX to ACA H&A where do you feel this stone falls based on the information at hand?

I'm trying to weigh if the weirdness is something even perceptible to the eye without utilizing a loop or magnification device.

Obviously what is consider a dealbreaker is subjective in nature, but if the price were "attractive" would you consider the stone?

I believe similar priced ACA's are about .5 carat smaller and drop in clarity from vs1 to (vs2 or SI1) granted improvement in fluor (as in reduction, faint / none)

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Karl_K & @lovedogs

I think I can see the weirdness you are referring to. Considering this is not a branded H&A, on an imagined scale of GIA XXX to ACA H&A where do you feel this stone falls based on the information at hand?

I'm trying to weigh if the weirdness is something even perceptible to the eye without utilizing a loop or magnification device.

Obviously what is consider a dealbreaker is subjective in nature, but if the price were "attractive" would you consider the stone

How much are they asking?

I'd say it's probably an 8.5? 9? Better than most, but not BGD, ACA, JP, etc, level

LIKEACA

Rough_Rock
How much are they asking?

I'd say it's probably an 8.5? 9? Better than most, but not BGD, ACA, JP, etc, level
That seems like a logical assessment to me

The stone is $31.2k after wire transfer savings

Not that stonealgo actually means anything but here's it's interpretation of the stone:
1713460793690.png

Relative to this stone from WF https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-di...olor-vs2-clarity-round-ideal-cut-sku-a4558471

1713461178122.png

The fair price delta is $15k!! Is shifting the needle from cut of 8.5-9 to 10 worth the delta of $15k? (If I am even thinking about this logically)

Last edited:

Victor Canera

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi OP, it looks like the diamond could have very slight pavilion twist which shows up as the weak light areas in the IS image. Do you have an ASET of the diamond?

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks @lovedogs

Just to make sure I'm keeping up..
Are these the nuances in question?
1713460525278.png

Those are just reflections of the ink blot. The cut nuances in question are the unevenness between the arrow shafts.

I think you’ll likely see the difference against the branded H&A cuts if they are side by side. Whether you’ll notice the difference on its own depends on your experience with well cut rounds.

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
@Karl_K & @lovedogs

Obviously what is consider a dealbreaker is subjective in nature, but if the price were "attractive" would you consider the stone?

I believe similar priced ACA's are about .5 carat smaller and drop in clarity from vs1 to (vs2 or SI1) granted improvement in fluor (as in reduction, faint / none)

Assuming similar price, I would personally go bigger less well cut if it’s for a pendant/earring, and smaller better cut if it’s for a ring.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Have you see diamonds in person ? Can you find some local super ideal cuts to compare to the next tier? We used to recommend people look at hearts in fire locally but unsure if those are available anymore. I suggest this bc only you can decide about whether the tradeoff of size vs cut perfection is worth it. Half a carat is a lot.

LIKEACA

Rough_Rock
I can't find anything better but within budget w a similar size/color.

I like this one, but don't know if it would be eye clean

Thanks @lovedogs I did look at that one by a few times. Beautiful symmetry that immediately caught my eye. I just couldn't stomach the dark inclusion on the table (which I believe will be visible to the naked eye, even without my glasses lol)

LIKEACA

Rough_Rock

Thanks for reply @Victor Canera. Unfortunately it is through James Allen & they refuse to provide ASET images on any rounds to my understanding. But I can clearly see what you a referring to. I do own an ASET scope though! (Couldn't resist buying a bunch of gemology gadgets)

LIKEACA

Rough_Rock
Have you see diamonds in person ? Can you find some local super ideal cuts to compare to the next tier? We used to recommend people look at hearts in fire locally but unsure if those are available anymore. I suggest this bc only you can decide about whether the tradeoff of size vs cut perfection is worth it. Half a carat is a lot.

@Dreamer_D I haven't seen this diamond in person but I have viewed an SIC before (which sent me down this path of trying to find the next best thing).. I won't be able to compare at them at same time.

I am inclined to lean towards an increase of .5 carat for the relatively marginal hit (as far as I can discern) on cut precision

Last edited:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Dreamer_D I haven't seen this diamond in person but I have viewed an SIC before (which sent me down this path of trying to find the next best thing).. I won't be able to compare at them at same time.

I am inclined to lean towards an increase of .5 carat for the relatively marginal hit (as far as I can discern) on cut precision

You won't be able to compare THIS diamond to an SIC in person but I wonder if you can find a similarly "close" cut locally to compare.

Buy honestly I would probably make the same choice. As I said, half a carat is a lot. I assume you can return it if you are unhappy when you get it?

LIKEACA

Rough_Rock
You won't be able to compare THIS diamond to an SIC in person but I wonder if you can find a similarly "close" cut locally to compare.

Buy honestly I would probably make the same choice. As I said, half a carat is a lot. I assume you can return it if you are unhappy when you get it?

@Dreamer_D greats ideas! That sounds like the right move to make

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results