shape
carat
color
clarity

Expert opinions on emerald please!

starburst

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I really would like some opinions from the experts here, I value your input very much.

I fell in love with this emerald ring by a designer named Judy Geib. I don't know much about emeralds. I just know that I loved this stone & ring the minute I saw it. There is no cert on this stone or any specifics for that matter. I have no idea what kinds of treatment it has undergone. After reading up on where Judy sources her stones, I read that she does get some of her emeralds from Columbia.

I am confused because there is a huge price discrepancy in her emerald collection. I am posting 2 photos below to illustrate. Both pairs of earrings are from Barney's. The first pair of earrings describe these emeralds as Columbian, priced at almost $30,000

The second set of earrings, which also appear to be from the same collection, are described to be set with "Columbian emeralds," and are literally a fraction of the price of the first pair ($3140). I realize that there are more emeralds in the first pair, but to me it doesn't justify the huge price difference. Could someone please weigh in on why that is? If all the stones are sourced from Columbia, is the price difference due to the color?

judy geib $29,700.jpg

judy geib $3140.jpg

starburst

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Here is the ring that I am in love with. I know it's hard to tell color based on a few photos, but I would appreciate your honest opinions!

IMG_4250.JPG

IMG_4251.JPG

IMG_4255.JPG

IMG_4257.JPG

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I cannot explain the price differential. It could be many things, but I/we have no way of actually knowing. Things that it could be: treatment, carat weight, clarity..the more expensive ones are a little more blueish and the less expensive ones seem slightly more yellowish, but the pictures themselves aren't really that good and you'd probably have to call in and ask why there is such a price difference.

As for the ring, I do love the color on it and the setting--but I'd have to know what treatments the stone had undergone. Emeralds are very, very often heavily treated--and that's ok as long as its disclosed, but it would be very important for me to know. I think the color is stunning, but I'd want to know if and how it was treated; I'd hate to see you pay a lot of money for a heavily treated emerald that would otherwise be inexpensive.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IndyLady|1309923340|2962481 said:
I cannot explain the price differential. It could be many things, but I/we have no way of actually knowing. Things that it could be: treatment, carat weight, clarity..the more expensive ones are a little more blueish and the less expensive ones seem slightly more yellowish, but the pictures themselves aren't really that good and you'd probably have to call in and ask why there is such a price difference.

As for the ring, I do love the color on it and the setting--but I'd have to know what treatments the stone had undergone. Emeralds are very, very often heavily treated--and that's ok as long as its disclosed, but it would be very important for me to know. I think the color is stunning, but I'd want to know if and how it was treated; I'd hate to see you pay a lot of money for a heavily treated emerald that would otherwise be inexpensive.

Ditto; we have no idea of the treatment of the emeralds, which is a good portion of the price for higher end emeralds, not to mention not knowing the clarity and carat weights of the stones, not the fineness of colour.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results