shape
carat
color
clarity

expert help on lab report please

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

FionaH

Rough_Rock
Hi experts

I just received my diamond - 2.08 ct princess cut. It's EGL certed. It looks gorgeous and I'mm off to get it appraised later. In the meantime I have a couple of questions:

On the certificate there is a green mark near one of the corners of the stone diagram. The cert says that this is an indicator of an external feature, rather than internal. I can't see anything under a 10x loupe. What sort of external characteristics are there?

Also, the colour is H. Looking at it through the pavillion against white paper, it looks white. Looking at it through the table it sometimes looks white and sometimes looks slightly tinted. Is this to be expected with an "H" colour stone? Also, will these colour differentials disappear when the stone is set in a platinum mount?

Thanks

Fiona

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
You did not tell us the clarity?
The external feature may be very small, and may be a grain line that only appears in reflected light, or a natural part of the rough diamond that looks like a normal facet to you.
The stone will look less white set in platinum, and more colorless set in Y/G (opposite to what you might expect because of contrast effects.

FionaH

Rough_Rock
Hi Cut Nut

The clarity is SI2 but I gather that it's quite a "lucky SI2" as the main inclusion is able to be hidden under a claw and the stone completely eye clean.

Given your explanation of the green mark in the diagram, should I assume that this external feature is unlikely to make the diamond more likely to chip?

I've also noticed that looks like a small fracture below one of the corners, on the pavillion under 10x magnification. This is indicated as an internal characteristic on the certificate, and is obvously the main inclusion that got it SI2 grading rather than SI1. Would this also effect the likelihood of chipping?

Also, is it common for larger H colour stones to look slightly tinted in some lights and from some angles and white in others? The only stone I have to compare it to at home is E colour with medium blue florescence, so obviously they look a bit different!

Thanks

Fiona:tongue:

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results