shape
carat
color
clarity

Expert explain fluorescence please!

qui499kyl

Shiny_Rock
I generally know what it is . I've read mixed reviews about it helping or hurting stones. Will a GIA measured "medium blue" fluorescence help an H color, or would I be better getting a G stone?

Thank you!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Medium fluorescence isn't going to make the stone look a grade brighter. But an H is not really tinted at all. If you are talking rounds, just stick to something with ideal light return. If you are talking a fancy, then it's a little more complicated.

What is your goal?

Also please post the pictures and the lab report of the stone you are considering.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium

alamana

Shiny_Rock
MollyMalone|1450231394|3962073 said:

I enjoyed following the discussions in those links and then the links in those links -- and found an interesting discussion about grading color under certain lighting conditions. It made me wonder about my own stone, which has medium blue fluor, as it is an E according to GIA but when I took the stone (loose) to an independent appraiser he said "I would probably have graded it an F -- but it's close." He also said he thought they could have graded it VVS1 instead of VVS2 -- I guess it all evens out, ha ha.

But I love reading and learning about fluorescence. It's so interesting! And there is so much wonderful knowledge here!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results