shape
carat
color
clarity

Experience going to a Gem & Jewelry Show?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Checking to see if any readers here have any experience visiting/shopping at a Gem & Jewelery show, such as one that visits the DC area.

My intention is go to learn. Also, I might buy something for fun. But, as Feydakin has sometimes prudently pointed out, whereas you don''t want to mess with people''s time at B&Ms without revealing up front what you''re doing there...and although the vendors there, likewise, are surely there to make a buck (actually, according to the Washingtonian article, since most there have no physical shop, maybe it is even more so the case with those vendors there!) I guess I''m hoping that is the culture there to get all kinds, and that it''s anticipated up front that the cost of doing business for a vendor to show up at one of these is to get people attending who are alternately very serious and very flighty, and so...it may be OK to be rather casual, and even take out either ones idealscope, or even ASET viewer somewhat freely. At least, that''s the hope.

Anyway...any comments from people who have gone to these type of gatherings is of interest!

diamondsrock

Brilliant_Rock
I have been to the show in Mass. twice over the past few years. Both times I was amazed at how many people were shopping. Seems I share my love of jewelry with many others! Most people looked like average consumers just browsing. I did see one guy pulling out a loupe to look at something. I didn''t bring my loupe since I was just shopping for fun. I bought a loose tourmaline. It was one of the few places I found the color I wanted (bluish green). I bought a few other small things, nothing major. One thing which impressed me was the variety of items they offered. Lots to look at. It took me about 3 hours to go through the whole thing. I saw one guy shopping for an engagement ring and he looked pretty serious so not everyone was just browsing I guess. It''s an experience. Worth going to at least once.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/8/2005 11:02:51 PM
Author: diamondsrock
One thing which impressed me was the variety of items they offered. Lots to look at. It took me about 3 hours to go through the whole thing. I saw one guy shopping for an engagement ring and he looked pretty serious so not everyone was just browsing I guess. It''s an experience. Worth going to at least once.
Thanks, Diamondsrock, for your perspective, and it does provide some background that makes it helpful to think about, when planning to attend.

Anyone else ever been to one of these, who would care to share any comments?

Waste of time
Completely delightful
Too crowded
Friendly/unfriendly environment for taking a look at gems?

Best,

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
I went to the Gem & Jewelry Show at the Dulles Expo Center just last month. Wasn''t looking for anything in particular, but if something "different" caught my eye, I was willing to look. My experience was pretty good, I bought three pieces, none of them containing precious gems or diamonds. Here are my observations:

1) There were A LOT of vendors, offering something for everyone it seems. You could find everything from diamonds to plastic beads! I will say thqt if you make your own jewelry, the Gem show is a great place to shop for supplies. However, I found there was a lot of "sameness" for lack of a better word. Lots of the same gold, silver and fashion diamond jewelry. I really had to hunt for pieces that were different from the norm.

2) I saw several men looking at diamonds and settings at the various booths that offered diamonds. Although armed with my PS diamond knowledge, I really did not spend a whole lot of time looking at diamonds. I looked at many of the settings and there seemed to be a vast array of those. I''d like to read thoughts from those who''ve considered or purchased diamonds at one of these shows. Especially regarding the quality.

3) There were many vendors offering precious gemstones. And while the selections were good, and the gems looked beautiful, I realized that I needed to do more research on what to look for in say, a pink sapphire or a topaz before I made a purchase.

All in all, I really enjoyed the show, and I''d probably go again. I enjoyed talking to the vendors (who were from all over the country) more than actually looking at the jewelry, but that''s just me.
1.gif

RegularGuy: I think the show you are speaking of is the one that will be in Timonium, MD? Many of the vendors I spoke with in VA will be at the one in Timonium as well.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/10/2005 7:06:00 PM
Author: onedrop

RegularGuy: I think the show you are speaking of is the one that will be in Timonium, MD? Many of the vendors I spoke with in VA will be at the one in Timonium as well.
Onedrop, thanks for your feedback. Looks like the one in Timonium is in July. The one in August I have referenced though is in downtown DC, at the Washington Convention Center, around 8th and N; see also notes today in Diamond Hangout.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results