shape
carat
color
clarity

Expensive diamond cheap band

Taradefab

Rough_Rock
Is it ok or even smart to put a 9thousand dollar diamond in a $1400 dollar setting...my old engagement ring appraisal says my diamond( only the actual center stone was worth around $90000)...the setting is platinum with .38ct floating diamonds and is now only worth about $400.....we are resetting my stone but 10 years 3 kids later can't spend a ton to reset it....I found a setting I like for $1400,..I also found a second setting I love for $2100...my husband wants me to be smart and go for the ring I love that is more economical for our family but won't deny me the other more expensive setting if it's better for the diamond I currently own....I have to admit I am equally torn as both settings are beautiful. .one is just cheaper..cheaper ring is 10ct, pricey ring is 14ct....is that important .I'l'l post pics in comments neither picture posted is My center stone so don't look at diamond, setting only

screenshot_25.png

screenshot_26.png

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fine jewelry settings will be platinum, 18k white gold, and 14k white gold. I would not go below that as fine jewelry is virtually never made in 10k gold. If you have had platinum, you know that never has to be plated and white gold does. There's nothing technically wrong with putting a $20k diamond in a simple solitaire that costs $500. I will tell you that jewelry store appraisals are often vastly inflated, so you can't even really count on that value to be accurate anyway.

That 14k ring at $2000+ sounds like it might be overpriced. Can you show us a close up shot of it and maybe we can help you find one at a better price. What size and shape is your center stone?

alamana

Shiny_Rock
Taradefab|1452454171|3973768 said:
Is it ok or even smart to put a 9thousand dollar diamond in a $1400 dollar setting...

To answer this question ... my $9,000 diamond is in a $700 setting -- and I love it.

That said, my setting isn't a halo. That changes things. But I don't know much about halos so listen to the folks who do.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Do you mind of I ask what the reason for the reset is? Looking for a change or is your old setting in disrepair?

Personally I wouldn't go from a platinum setting to something that is 10K; notwithstanding that style might not hold up to daily wear and tear.

$1400 is nothing to sneeze at--a decent sum! Give some more details of your center stone (dimensions) and perhaps some suggestions here can be made.

cheers--Sharon

solgen

Brilliant_Rock
If you have a $90,000 stone I wouldn't put it in some cheap 10k setting. Even if it's only $9,000 I still wouldn't be inclined to do it as the 10k settings tend to be of lower quality and craftsmanship.

Taradefab

Rough_Rock
My center stone is a 1kt VS1-H...I am looking for a better quality of the setting I just bought....or reassurance that what I did wasn't a huge mistake. The reason for the change is my ring is 11 years old and I'm ready for a new look ..halo with or without airline..cushion also works for me

solgen

Brilliant_Rock
Buy what you really want and save up if you have to. $2100 for a 14k WG halo setting isn't a steal. You could try contacting other jewelers to see what they might charge. David Klass has very reasonable prices so he might be able to do it for less. You would have to ship your diamond to him which can be a hassle. If you don't plan on keeping your original e-ring then you could see if they can use it to incorporate some of it into your new ring or maybe just get scrap value for it.

There's also the old adage of buy once cry once. At least that's what I use to help justify what I really want to buy rather than having to settle. :naughty:

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the only thing that matters is that you love the setting and that it's well-made.
Last year I put my diamond in a Stuller "temporary setting" while exploring custom options. It was around 1/50th the cost of the stone and as it turns out, I love the setting with no plans to change it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results