Exhausted and overwhelmed.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Call IDJ. You will get a nice deal.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Right. Op seems to be a customer who just wants a white and sparkly ring, so i don’t think we are talking super ideals and I’m not sure we are talking about complimentary angles either. (Though it would be nice).

She was looking at ungraded IJ I2 Groupon rings, so I don’t necessarily think she needs GIA graded either.

I do think IDJ would be a good choice as well, as Yekutiel can get her ungraded stones also.

Agree to a point. Doubt she will find much benefit in super ideals the way most of us here would; however, the superb customer service that comes with WF, BGD or HPD would be like a breath of fresh air to her. Imagine her working with Bryan or Wink.

Buying diamonds is supposed to be fun, not exhausting and frustrating. While I don't know the OP's sensitivity to color or cut, she did say "white & sparkly" so I tried to search down some options I thought would fit that bill while staying within a reasonable dollar amount.

By the way, I apologize @whitewave. My initial response to that stone should have been worded better on my part. I honestly didn't mean anything bad by it. I respect you and your viewpoints. :cool2:

Alas, a call to IDJ might be the best solution. I've not worked with him them yet, but others seem very pleased having non-graded stones that still has great cut quality (by PS standards).

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had a pair of groupon diamond earrings. there was literally zero sparkle. they were terrible.

IDJ is a great idea. They have access to a ton of settings and wedding bands, as well as diamonds. And, since you're not in NYC you wouldn't even pay sales tax!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agree to a point. Doubt she will find much benefit in super ideals the way most of us here would; however, the superb customer service that comes with WF, BGD or HPD would be like a breath of fresh air to her. Imagine her working with Bryan or Wink.

Buying diamonds is supposed to be fun, not exhausting and frustrating. While I don't know the OP's sensitivity to color or cut, she did say "white & sparkly" so I tried to search down some options I thought would fit that bill while staying within a reasonable dollar amount.

By the way, I apologize @whitewave. My initial response to that stone should have been worded better on my part. I honestly didn't mean anything bad by it. I respect you and your viewpoints. :cool2:

Alas, a call to IDJ might be the best solution. I've not worked with him them yet, but others seem very pleased having non-graded stones that still has great cut quality (by PS standards).

Nah, it’s OK
Martin knows about HCA and understands the science behind it.

skypie

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Throwing a different idea in the ring...if OP doesn't really care about diamonds why not get a not-diamond....like moissanite? Would be a lot cheaper while still being sparkly.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Throwing a different idea in the ring...if OP doesn't really care about diamonds why not get a not-diamond....like moissanite? Would be a lot cheaper while still being sparkly.

I was thInking the same thing. Or a gem.

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
A lot of Pricescope members on a strict budget have had success buying from ID Jewelry. If you call up and speak to Yekutiel he will help you find the perfect ring within your budget. Tell him you heard of him from Pricescope. He will find you a beautiful diamond.

I have spoken to them when I was considering something and they were great. I would tell Yekutiel that you are overwhelmed and need help. Say you are relying also on help from PS. Give him your parameters. Tell him those parameters are firm and you want 6 prong setting, "chunky" band, etc. Ask him what he'd recommend re: a diamond. Send him some photos via email of the styles of setting, band you like. I am sure you will not be his first customer who is overwhelmed and ready to give up. Do not do the groupon. Please! This will come together nicely for you - it sounds like IDJ might be the best way for you to go.

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
All of these understanding responses and support have me literally in tears. My boyfriend is going to be so confused when he comes home to see me puffy eyed telling him I've been sobbing because ring shopping is scary and internet people are really nice lol. Thank you guys so much, seriously.

@bludiva YES! You hit the nail on the head. We're not in a rush so I definitely could wait. When was the last sale and when do you think the next one would be? I wouldn't want to wait until a Christmas sale, b ut sometime between now and Thanksgiving might be fine. Is it 25% off everything? Setting, stone, all rings?

@kindred I wish they would show images on an actual finger! It's impossible to shop when they only show magnified images. I do still think that's a "chunkier" look than the other ones, but like I said I do like that "chunky" look so it's not a bad thing. I'm 100% open to a used ring or diamond especially if the savings are significant. The only reason I haven't really been looking is because I know nothing about diamond specs, not the way that everyone on here seems to be able to look and know immediately if it's good or not, so like going into pawn shops is out since I don't know what I'm looking at. I don't know why I ended up looking at Blue Nile instead of James Allen, but I'm open to both.

@whitewave I think I'm about a 5.5 but that's just from measuring with a measuring tape and I'm not sure how accurate that is. I ordered the plastic sizer from Blue Nile a couple weeks ago and it never came, so I just ordered another one yesterday, should be here in a week. None of the jewelers I've visited have offered to measure me, I guess because we haven't gotten to that step, and I was too embarassed to ask because I thought they would know I was going to use it to go shop online :razz:

@farrahlyn I'm fine spending $2k for exactly what I want, as long as I know that's really the right price and I'm not overspending. I considered going with a .2-.5 diamond at first, I actually tried one on in a store and it didn't look too small, but the more I've thought about it, it wasn't quite as striking as I'd like so I think .5 and above would be best. With that comes a price tag, so I'm just getting around to stomaching that new price tag I guess. When I first started looking at engagement rings, I was pretty sure I wanted moissanite and thought I could get everything for $500 without doing any research. Now that I'm a few weeks into researching, that price has gone up but is pretty steady between $2-3k at least!

@Maisie @Snowdrop13 @LLJsmom Thank you! I think I've seen ID Jewelry mentioned a few times so I will try giving them a call. I didn't realize they were an actual store in NYC, I live in Philly so we could even do a day trip to try it on and pick it up, make it into a romantic weekend and maybe make this whole nightmare a little bit fun. :razz:

@LLJsmom Honestly having you tell me not to pick something on my own is SO REASSURING. I felt like I was being dumb by looking at these huge lists of diamonds and not being able to just freaking pick one, but you're right, there are all these tiny little details that I don't know what they mean but there are people here who do! I'm going to rely on people here and not feel bad.

@sledge I definitely don't like the basket setting, but the other two are very nice and a good price! I surprisingly really like the petals, even though I've been shying away from any extra stuff and really only liking the basic settings. Maybe I will consider this one.

@whitewave You are so correct that I don't need THE BEST, but I do acknowledge that the Groupon ring would have been hugely disappointing. I just liked the price :razz: I'm definitely going to check out IDJ.

@skypie and @whitewave Moissanite was my original thought but I have some weird aversion to the word moissanite, and I just *feel* like a *real* diamond would be so nice. It's not rational at all. The only rational reason I might want a diamond over moissanite is I've heard that moissanite has more of a rainbow color instead of white, and I definitely don't want rainbow. I did look into other gemstones, white sapphire specifically, but it seems to have some cloudiness issues and one thing I read basically said white sapphires are great, but if you want it to behave like a diamond you'll be disappointed, and that's exactly what would happen to me. So I'm back at diamond.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@frogplus,
You have received some real, and genuine information from some really awesome & experienced diamond lovers, here!
I concur that taking that weekend trip to NYC is just what the two of you need, in order to MAKE this experience FUN!! Take time away, and really LOOK at the diamonds. Work with a patient professional, like Yuketiel, and learn as much as you can, in order to fully enjoy this time in your lives.
It’s stressful because it’s expensive, and no one wants to learn they’ve sunk thousands of dollars into a dud.
Since you’re not in a hurry, stick around with us, observe, and ask questions. All of us are willing to share our own experiences & knowledge we have acquired with first timers, like you.
No more tears, young lady!!
It’s time to have some fun with this shopping thing, now!!
You now know you have REAL options! Let’s explore those!!
GET EXCITED!!! :kiss2:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I had a pair of groupon diamond earrings. there was literally zero sparkle. they were terrible.

IDJ is a great idea. They have access to a ton of settings and wedding bands, as well as diamonds. And, since you're not in NYC you wouldn't even pay sales tax!

@HappyNewLife Were these the “dogs” you referenced when you mentioned a pair of studs you use to have?

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Matthews1127 I need to print that comment and tape it to my mirror. I'm really hoping IDJ works out so I can just relax and know I'm in good hands. I already sent Yekutiel an email, fingers crossed.

I've heard nothing but positive things about IDJ. Definitely don't stress--this should be a happy time, and we are here to help!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think a trip to NY is a fabulous idea! The fun needs to be put back into this very special time. I’m another one who gets overwhelmed by the whole diamond thing. I’ve had a lot of help on Pricescope. And I’ve never been steered wrong :)

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
the last sale was a few weeks ago and i don't think it was for any holiday, i'd guess there would be one between now and thanksgiving. it is usually 15-25% off settings and bands (including bands with stones).

i forgot about b2c jewels, they have a program where you can pick 3 settings and try them for the cost of shipping (they send you a cheap metal version, not gold/plat though). they have a 15% sale right now (settings i think) and their stone pricing is super competitive. i got the gem in my avatar from b2c and would buy from them again.

i've heard there are also small added PS discounts with both vendors if you ask. wish i knew that when i was looking!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
FYI JA has a $100 off coupon if you sign up for their mailing list. It's a pop up offer when you first enter their site. On a $400 setting that is 25%. I haven't read the fine print to determine if a minimum purchase amount is required.

Also @bludiva if you notice the links I posted of stones, it has PS referral links which is a few bucks cheaper than if you find the same stone without that link. ;)2

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@HappyNewLife Were these the “dogs” you referenced when you mentioned a pair of studs you use to have?

I can't remember, but probably. They were .5ct each. I sold them on ebay. I couldn't even bring myself to promote them here, lol!

Sabrina31

Shiny_Rock
Premium
@frogplus I hope you have as wonderful an experience as i did with idj, I worked with Shulamit and she answer all of my ridiculous questions when i was looking for diamond studs, small and on a budget. She was a huge help and i have loved my purchase ever since, except you know, diamond shrink syndrome. :D

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hate for people to feel overwhelmed, because you don't have to do any work at all if you'd like us to pick out a nice ring for you. I think you should get the e-ring now and then order a wedding band later. Then you can still send it back and try another if you don't like it with the engagement ring.

I would get GIA graded just due to wanting to be sure you're getting what you're paying for. You're more likely to overpay for a stone when it isn't graded by a reliable lab because most ungraded stones will have specs that are "optimistically" represented.

Since we are looking at stones that are smaller, well cut and bright is important. So I would recommend around H VS2-SI1 (just verify that the stone is eyeclean from top and sides). I also don't recommend stones with no images since we want this to be successful on the first try! You don't have to have a video, but a picture is essential.

What is your ring size? Because the petite nouveau is very thin at 1.8mm and unless you have tiny fingers, I think it will look too thin. Honestly, white gold will also wear away over time, and you really need to stick with 2mm minimum for the shank. Just so you know, white gold is plated and will have to be replated. Platinum stays white but may need polishing every few years if you want it to stay very shiny.

At B2C, I like this .5 H VS2 (if you can find a setting there):

https://www.b2cjewels.com/dd/11788305/Round-Diamond-H-Color-VS2-Clarity

I looked through 20 or more to come up with one good one. That's why people get frustrated! (And why I like Whiteflash, personally!)

I like this one that @farrahlyn posted:

https://www.adiamor.com/Diamonds/0.50-ct-G-SI1-Affinity-Cut-Round-Diamond/D42017616

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
@diamondseeker2006 I don't mind buying each separately but I figured buying both at the same time would just be easier. I really don't want to make this process any longer than it needs to be. I don't know my ring size but I think it's 5.5 just from using a tape measure. I ordered a sizer from BN but it never came, so I just ordered another one.

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If you're on a budget (or don't want to spend your money on a ring), have you considered second hand? I would check out loupe-troop to see if anything on there catches your interest. Nothing wrong with second hand at all, especially if you don't care much for jewelry and just want a diamond ring to fit the norm.

Here's a ring that I think you may be interested in. Same style that you want, already in your size, and contains a well cut (from the looks of it) colorless moissanite. For the price it's listed at, it's basically like you're paying for the setting and getting the stone for free. You could always just wear the ring with the moissanite for a while and later replace it with a diamond if ever feel the desire:
https://loupetroop.com/listings/rin...itaire-with-7mm-colourless-h-and-a-moissanite

But if you do want to go the new diamond/ring path, I second (or third) the recommendation for IDJ, as they take the guess-work out of selecting a decent diamond. If you really just want to get it over with with the least effort on your part, just send them your desired specs (colorless and eye-clean with "price-scope" quality cut) and your budget and he'll find a stone for you. Simple and painless.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@diamondseeker2006 I don't mind buying each separately but I figured buying both at the same time would just be easier. I really don't want to make this process any longer than it needs to be. I don't know my ring size but I think it's 5.5 just from using a tape measure. I ordered a sizer from BN but it never came, so I just ordered another one.

You can use a piece of paper, or string, to get your sizing.

Alternatively, if you have a ring that fits you, then you can print this PDF (to scale) and then determine the ring size that way (instructions included).

http://cooljewellery.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Ring-Sizes-MeasuringChart.pdf

measure-ring-with-paper-or-string.jpg

Austrialia-international-ring-size-chart.jpg

If you're on a budget (or don't want to spend your money on a ring), have you considered second hand? I would check out loupe-troop to see if anything on there catches your interest. Nothing wrong with second hand at all, especially if you don't care much for jewelry and just want a diamond ring to fit the norm.

Here's a ring that I think you may be interested in. Same style that you want, already in your size, and contains a well cut (from the looks of it) colorless moissanite. For the price it's listed at, it's basically like you're paying for the setting and getting the stone for free. You could always just wear the ring with the moissanite for a while and later replace it with a diamond if ever feel the desire:
https://loupetroop.com/listings/rin...itaire-with-7mm-colourless-h-and-a-moissanite

But if you do want to go the new diamond/ring path, I second (or third) the recommendation for IDJ, as they take the guess-work out of selecting a decent diamond. If you really just want to get it over with with the least effort on your part, just send them your desired specs (colorless and eye-clean with "price-scope" quality cut) and your budget and he'll find a stone for you. Simple and painless.

For $250, seems to be a great find. :cool2:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
One thing to consider is if your knuckle is larger than where your ring would sit. I sometimes have to really push my ring over the knuckle but then it’s loose when it’s on. Also the wider the shank you may need a larger size than if it’s a thin shank. I would definitely go into a jewelry store and have them size you. Look at the rings and then tell them you want your boyfriend to know your size when he goes shopping for you. That’s not a lie.

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
@TreeScientist WHOA. That ring actually is blowing me away. My only hesitation is that I haven't seen moissanite in person compared to a diamond and I'm nervous about the rainbow color I've read about moissanite having. But holy smokes for that price I may as well just buy it and see what I think in person. Is 7mm the equivalent of 1.28 ct diamond? I found a conversion chart and that's what it said.

Thank you for showing this to me. I had kind of removed moissanite from my search and now seeing that price I might be willing to do it.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You've gotten a lot of good advice. I purchased studs through ID jewelry and the stones are beautiful. I've also hear good things about James Allen, BCBjewels. Check out preloved and loupe troop, especially if you are open to cuts and styles other than traditional round solitaire.
https://loupetroop.com/listings/rin...mond-in-platinum-baguette-mount-size-5-dot-25

I am weirdly picky, and when I was going through options for a sparkly diamond like ring, I did purchase (and return) a moissanite. It was a high quality moissanite but the thing that bothered me about the moissanite was not the "fire" (which is more on the disco ball side) but the double refraction which makes the reflections "splintery" (it doesn't look like a diamond). So go ahead and get a moissanite, but I would get one that you could return versus a no-return situation in case you don't care for how it looks (or be ok with eating cost, reselling).

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@frogplus go check out the "fashion jewelry" section of the forum if you want more info about moissanite. I'm happy to help with it, since I currently have one for my engagement ring (Although am thinking about going back to a round diamond, just haven't made up my mind). They have come a long way and gotten really excellent, but they are not identical to a diamond (since they are a different material and overall look).

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Charles & Colvard Forever One Moissanite DEF..not Brilliant..You want the Forever One for the whitest look. They do have the GHI which is warmer. I have bezels in the DEF because I wanted to see if I really liked the bezels before getting diamonds. I liked them so much I still wear them!

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@TreeScientist WHOA. That ring actually is blowing me away. My only hesitation is that I haven't seen moissanite in person compared to a diamond and I'm nervous about the rainbow color I've read about moissanite having. But holy smokes for that price I may as well just buy it and see what I think in person. Is 7mm the equivalent of 1.28 ct diamond? I found a conversion chart and that's what it said.

Thank you for showing this to me. I had kind of removed moissanite from my search and now seeing that price I might be willing to do it.

You're welcome. :) And yes, a 7mm is about 1.25-1.3 carat equivalent.

I have many friends with moissanite E-rings. Most are the type who are not really into jewelry but just wanted something sparkly and white on their finger, which moissanite is perfect for. As @lovedogs said, they have come a really long way in recent years. The new colorless moissanites look very nice. No, they don't look exactly like a diamond to a knowledgable observer in bright lighting (due to the double refraction "disco ball" effect), but the average person in most situations won't be able to tell the difference. Honestly, I would MUCH rather have a moissanite than a Groupon or Maul Store I2 clarity frozen spit diamond. At least the moissanite will sparkle. :)

I think they look a little odd once you start getting up to the 9 or 10mm size ranges, but as long as you get a "believable" size (meaning below about 7.5mm) they're totally fine. The disco ball effect is much more evident in the larger stones.

As for diamond rings, the OEC ring with baguettes posted by @partgypsy is also very nice if that's in your budget (and if you would like baguettes). But I would honestly say go for the moissanite and see how you like it. At that price for a 14K setting it's an absolute steal. Worst case, you have a $250 ring that you can occasionally wear if you find you would rather have a diamond for the E-ring.

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you @TreeScientist! I think you're right that it's a steal, even if I only use the band/setting and put my own diamond in it (that you guys can pick out for me!) Have to think this over. I messaged the seller to see what she thinks shipping will be.

Found some things on loupetroop and wanted to get some opinions. Numbered so you can respond to each one easily. These are all diamonds, no moissanite.

1. https://loupetroop.com/listings/rin...itaire-engagement-ring-valued-at-5300-dollars
This one would not need anything except resizing as it's too big for me, but the listing says they will resize for free. $1600 obo for 1.03ct E/SI2. This is a much bigger diamond than I was looking at before, and I'm not sure if it would be too big for me. I have pretty small hands.
2. https://loupetroop.com/listings/rings-natural-diamond-center/tiffany-and-co-platinum-solitare-52
A real Tiffany ring. (insert heart eyes emoji). $1800 for .52ct but it doesn't give any details about the diamond (are all Tiffany diamonds going to be spectacular or do they sell some duds?) The ring is my size and the right setting (6 prong) although I was looking for white gold, platinum I think would be a step up and look the same so that's fine.
3. https://loupetroop.com/listings/rin...iffany-and-co-platinum-solitaire-size-7-dot-5
Another Tiffany ring. $925 for .25ct H/VS1 in platinum. Definitely smaller than I wanted, although I did try on a .25ct ring in a store and it wasn't as small as I imagined, so maybe I could learn to love this. Not sure if this is really a great price, seems high I guess because of the Tiffany name and the platinum instead of white gold.
4. https://loupetroop.com/listings/rin...-55-ct-round-diamond-ring-in-14k-setting;9125
This one I would buy just for the diamond and I would have a local jeweler put it into a white gold setting. $350 obo. Says it is 5.3mm diameter, estimated .55ct based on dimaeter. Estimated H-I with I1 or I2 clarity, black pepper-like inclusion around near the girdle. All of these things sound like red flags especially since the price is so low, but what do you think?
5. https://loupetroop.com/listings/rin...rb-center-diamond-with-35-carat-setting-18kwg
This is another one that I would just use the diamond and put it into a different setting. $800 for .65ct H/SI1, says it's eye clean white and sparkly. The ring has an additional .35ct diamonds that maybe I could put into a wedding band? So basically I would be paying $800 just for straight up diamonds, not using the band at all.
6. https://loupetroop.com/listings/rings-natural-diamond-center/white-gold-diamond-ring-approx-50-ct
Another that I would only buy it for the diamonds and put into a different setting. Or maybe a jeweler would be able to melt the white gold down and create the ring I want? I don't know, is that easy? $612 for .50ct but doesn't give details. It says there are two other diamonds 1.2 to 1.4mm to either side of the center diamond but I don't see them. If they are good, I could use them in the wedding band.
7. https://loupetroop.com/listings/rin...er/reduced-18k-diamond-solitaire-49-ct-size-7
Another that I would only buy it for the diamonds and put into a different setting. $500 for .49ct G/SI3.
8. https://loupetroop.com/listings/rin...er/gorgeous-oec-in-original-setting-approx-87
Another that I would only buy it for the diamonds and put into a different setting. $900 for .80ct G/VS estimated, and I can't tell if there are diamonds on the band that I could use in my wedding band?

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP, FWIW this is a video of a C&C Forever One DEF Hearts & Arrows - people look at me with confusion when I try to explain it is *not* a diamond, except for jewelers.
https://www.videosprout.com/video?id=3d5beeb3-43f2-4de9-b1f8-aa2c8669d141

There's a lot of discussion of the best moissy in the Fashion Jewelry forum, names I hear a lot are C&C Forever One, Neo, ENV, and August Vintage. I those are probably pretty safe best and with others you have to sort through the good & bad just like w/ diamonds and other stones.

I don't know enough to comment on the best options on the list above but re some of your questions
- Tiffany diamonds include some less than stellar stones, ask for the Tiffany diamond certificate or GIA report and people here can tell you if it's worth pursuing or not. There are lots of pre-loved ~.5ct Tiffany rings floating around, I'm sure you could find a great one w/in your budget.
- It can sometimes be more expensive than it's worth to reuse small diamonds (the labor of unsetting costing more than buying new melee), jewelers typically won't melt down and recycle gold but give you a credit for it, you might get more selling it to someone who can use it

I hope you're feeling more excited about the purchase now!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results