shape
carat
color
clarity

Excited but also very nervous about J colored studs !

frankiextah

Brilliant_Rock
I'm in the market for a pair of 1ctw studs ! :appl:

last night I saw 2 beautiful stones on BGD - J colored VS2, one is 0.555ct and one is 0.556ct. the stones look gorgeous and i would never doubt a BGD diamond in any way, but as a person who has never owned or seen J colored diamonds, will I see any tint, consider the diamond sizes ? the diamonds in the photos look very very white... so am i just being silly ? these will be set in 4-prong platinum and la pousette backs !

0.555ct :

Picture%2040.png

Picture%2041.png

Picture%2043.png

0.556ct:

Picture%2044.png

Picture%2046.png

Picture%2048.png

Please share your thoughts !! ::)

slg47

Ideal_Rock
frankie is this your third pair of studs??

I have J color studs from BGD and when I scrutinize them up close, I do see tint (mine are 0.40 ct each). However, on the ears, they look completely white.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
slg47|1316970733|3025144 said:
frankie is this your third pair of studs??

I have J color studs from BGD and when I scrutinize them up close, I do see tint (mine are 0.40 ct each). However, on the ears, they look completely white.

He he, same exact comments!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a .46 BDG J colored stone and by itself it looks fine...not white/white but just plain old white. I see major tint when
I put it next to my D stone. I think J would be fine for ears if you are not mind-color-sensitive.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, you will see the tint in that size, esp if you set them against white metal, if you look closely (or compare to your higher coloured stones).

On your ears, from directly face-up (noone is examining studs from the side other than you - they're too far away, and if they do get close enough presumably the focus elsewhere ;)) )... I don't think you have anything to worry about WRT people thinking they're "tinted" or knowing they're lower coloured. They'll be too distracted by the sparkle!

Are they your third pair of studs? Will you be keeping the other smaller pair?

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They will be beautiful earrings.

frankiextah

Brilliant_Rock
i plan to upgrade the smaller studs (also from BDG) ...

hmm... in that case i may wait until they have an H / I colored ones available ... i've also inquired more info on the J diamonds. thankyou for everyone's advice !

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
frankiextah|1317000883|3025521 said:
i plan to upgrade the smaller studs (also from BDG) ...

hmm... in that case i may wait until they have an H / I colored ones available ... i've also inquired more info on the J diamonds. thankyou for everyone's advice !

Frankie, fwiw, I am fairly sure that your best bet would be to upgrade to at least an H. I seem to remember (correct me if I'm wrong) that you and yr mom have only white diamonds (D-E-F-G). Therefore, I colour stones would still be a little "tinted" for you. I'm very colour sensitive too (actually I can detect a teeny tiny hint of the warmth in my J studs but only in certain lightling - I'd say 99% of the time they face up very white) but am "tolerant" of slightly lower colours so I could get larger sizes. So if you're worried about how tinted they are, ie. how they look on the sides/ through the pavilliions, best to go for H's or higher, as there would only be an absence of colour in those grades, even if they look white face-up.

frankiextah

Brilliant_Rock
thank you Phoenix !

yes you are totally right, the lowest color i own is a G. To me, my G colored ER is very white but under certain lighting situation my super sensitive eagle eyes see the teeny tiniest tint against the super white halo that surrounds it.

i'm totally ok to go down to SI1 for earrings but i do realize now that perhaps an H or above would work best for me...

thanks again Phoenix to put this into perspective for me ! :wavey:

not too many options on BGD at the moment... H SI1 would have been a great combo for my budget right now...

perhaps these 2 stones would work better for me in the long run, even though these would set me back $1500 more than the J colored ones)

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=AGS-104049771023

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=AGS-104052884025

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
frankiextah|1317009839|3025614 said:
thank you Phoenix !

yes you are totally right, the lowest color i own is a G. To me, my G colored ER is very white but under certain lighting situation my super sensitive eagle eyes see the teeny tiniest tint against the super white halo that surrounds it.

i'm totally ok to go down to SI1 for earrings but i do realize now that perhaps an H or above would work best for me...

thanks again Phoenix to put this into perspective for me ! :wavey:

not too many options on BGD at the moment... H SI1 would have been a great combo for my budget right now...

perhaps these 2 stones would work better for me in the long run, even though these would set me back $1500 more than the J colored ones)

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=AGS-104049771023

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=AGS-104052884025

You're welcome, Frankie.

I had a look at the two you listed. For many other ppl, I'm sure they'd be ok, but "knowing" you (from what little I've read here :wink2: ) I don't think the measurements would work for you (am a little OCD myself, I wouldn't pick them personally even for earrings - as I am sure I'd be able to detect the measurement difference).

I prefer these (I know I know they're dearer - but you know you get a $100 customer loyalty discount, right? I know it's only $100 compared to the price increase, but hey every little bit helps, right? :tongue: ):

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=AGS-104052884032
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=AGS-104044686055

frankiextah

Brilliant_Rock
ooo oooo !!! great call phoenix !! and yep, i'm aware of the $100 return customer discount ... in addition, i believe i have 5% wire discount from the original price for each diamond as well :appl:

bookmarked the two F stones ! great find !

what do you think about these E SI1's (measurements are pretty close too, and i will contact BGD to confirm they are eye clean), these are a little easier on the price tag than the F stones :

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=AGS-104051366033

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=AGS-104051366037

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
frankiextah|1317012269|3025633 said:
ooo oooo !!! great call phoenix !! and yep, i'm aware of the $100 return customer discount ... in addition, i believe i have 5% wire discount from the original price for each diamond as well :appl:

bookmarked the two F stones ! great find !

what do you think about these E SI1's (measurements are pretty close too, and i will contact BGD to confirm they are eye clean), these are a little easier on the price tag than the F stones :

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=AGS-104051366033

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=AGS-104051366037

Yes, you do get the 5% discount which should be PS+wire combined.

Those E stones are stunners too (luuurrrve the icy colour), though I feel I must point out the crystal on the 0.530ct stone (I *think* it's on the 9 o'clock arrow, not quite in the centre but slightly off). I'd be totally ok with that myself but am not very clarity-sensitive, and am def clarity-tolerant. But would you be ok with that? (I'd bet that the stones are eye-clean, so the issue would be mind-cleanness).

ETA: if you like any stones, I'd call BGD right now and ask Lesley to reserve them for you. Their stones have a habit of flying off the shelf!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those E stones are marked as SOLD on BGD. I hope it's you who's bought them, Frankie. If so, congrats!! :appl: :appl:

frankiextah

Brilliant_Rock
yes yes ! that's me ! they are on hold and awaiting my trade-in package to arrive ! BGD is also able to give me something back on the original platinum setting. :appl:

now i'm just a little concerned about the la pousette backs because i have thin earlobes so when wearing earrings i usually have to push the butterfly backings further than the standard groove on the posts ... to my knowledge the pousette backings kind of need to be custom fit ?
:confused:

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
frankiextah|1317092708|3026547 said:
yes yes ! that's me ! they are on hold and awaiting my trade-in package to arrive ! BGD is also able to give me something back on the original platinum setting. :appl:

now i'm just a little concerned about the la pousette backs because i have thin earlobes so when wearing earrings i usually have to push the butterfly backings further than the standard groove on the posts ... to my knowledge the pousette backings kind of need to be custom fit ?
:confused:

Congrats again!! :appl: :appl: They are beautiful stones!! :love: :love:

You're lucky. BGD has never given me anything back for my old settings! Huh!

Not sure what you're asking, Frankie. :razz:a Pousette backings are standard made (even right down to the posts). So when Leon made my martini earrings, he had to custom-make my posts in order to fit the backings, as I wanted extra long and extra thin posts. It is the posts that you might want to be custom-made? La Poussette, as far as I'm aware, come in standard.

But the La Poussette backings can be pushed far in no prob, because they have this spring mechanism that you just squeeze and when released the backing sits very very tight on the post.

Any reason you're going for LP? I mean I like them for other pple and in fact recommend them for others. For me they're just too fidgety (I have longer finger nails too so that makes it a bit harder to manoeuvre (sp?) them; and I also, like mentioned, wanted extra long, extra thin post and in the end I decided it'd be best to have them custom made (I even threw away the backings that slot onto the posts afterwards). And now I'm just using jumbo push-backs.

frankiextah

Brilliant_Rock
i'm super excited !

i packed up everything and sent the 0.68ctw earrings back to BGD today ! the package is due to arrive tomorrow, and the BGD team will let me know how much i can get back on the plat settings. i did get the 5% wire+pricescope discount, 2% on the new earring settings, and $100 off being a repeating customer. and of course, a 100% trade in value on the original diamonds. not bad !!

the la pousette backings are $125 extra. i wanted these because of the extra security ? what do you think ?

Phoenix, i believe my earlobes are thinner than normal, so when i wear my 2.40ctw studs, i had to push my butterfly backings beyond the standard / default groove mark on the posts. this makes me wonder if i needed for the new la pousette backings to custom fit my ears, to have the jeweler mark a new groove closer to the culet of the diamond so that they would fit snugger on my ears... in addition, i may ask for a reduction in length of the posts as normal poke my neck whenever i hold up my phone ! i guess i'm a total opposite to you phoenix ! :cheeky:

slg47

Ideal_Rock
frankiextah|1317189039|3027640 said:
i'm super excited !

i packed up everything and sent the 0.68ctw earrings back to BGD today ! the package is due to arrive tomorrow, and the BGD team will let me know how much i can get back on the plat settings. i did get the 5% wire+pricescope discount, 2% on the new earring settings, and $100 off being a repeating customer. and of course, a 100% trade in value on the original diamonds. not bad !!

the la pousette backings are $125 extra. i wanted these because of the extra security ? what do you think ?

Phoenix, i believe my earlobes are thinner than normal, so when i wear my 2.40ctw studs, i had to push my butterfly backings beyond the standard / default groove mark on the posts. this makes me wonder if i needed for the new la pousette backings to custom fit my ears, to have the jeweler mark a new groove closer to the culet of the diamond so that they would fit snugger on my ears... in addition, i may ask for a reduction in length of the posts as normal poke my neck whenever i hold up my phone ! i guess i'm a total opposite to you phoenix ! :cheeky:

Frankie what are the backs on your other studs? I also push my butterfly backs closer than the groove just because I feel it is more secure but I have not had any problems with my butterfly backs.

I am excited to see your new studs...how lucky to have a smaller pair and a larger pair!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
frankiextah|1317189039|3027640 said:
i'm super excited !

He he, I guess so too! :)) We're total opposites on our (ear)ring requirements. I actually do have thicker earlobes and I have this irrational fear (well, irrational to most ppl but I did have one of the holes torn from a too-short post on a huggy when I tried to close it and since then I've been extra careful). So I usually do not push the backings in too far - in fact, sometimes my earrings look like they're just about to fall off, but they never do - touch wood!

You can *def* ask for both: a shorter length on the posts as well as an extra groove (except that yours would be on the inner side of the standard groove whereas mine are on the outer side, ie on the extended part of each post). Have you seen the two grooves on mine (in fact, I think it was me that invented the two-groove posts :wink2: ):

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pictures-my-4-649cttw-bgd-lm-luscious-earrings.116165/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pictures-my-4-649cttw-bgd-lm-luscious-earrings.116165/[/URL]

The length on my posts is 14mm. I think Asian standard is 12-14mm, whereas US standard I understand is 10mm. Lesley told me once that one of her customers asked for 8mm posts - so each to her own.

LP however, as far as I'm aware (from what LM told me anyway) come with their own standard posts, which are in WG and slightly thicker than what I'd like, which was why LM custom-made my posts for me. I'm sure BGD could do yours too at yr request.

ETA: LP are supposed to be the safest, but make sure you don't wear them in the shower cos the mechanism would get rusty and break. Personally, I prefer push-backs and have had no problem at all - again touch wood!! (but then, the diamonds would have a hard time trying to come loose from my thick lobes as well as from the two grooves - the two grooves are for extra security - as well as from the extra long posts).

ETAA: actually, the posts originally came to me slightly thicker (to fit with the std LP backs) but I had a local jeweller shave them down/ make them thinner and I got custom-made jumbo backs from this jeweller's too to replace the LP backs.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results