shape
carat
color
clarity

Excellence Playa Mujeres?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

les12

Shiny_Rock
Have any of you been here? It looks fabulous and has really good reviews from tripadvisor.com, I just would love to hear from those of you who have first hand experience with this resort. If you''ve been, which room did you stay in? What did you end up spending money on once you got there? what time of year did you go and how was the weather? We will be going early May. Thanks in advance for your help!

AsscherNut

Rough_Rock
My DH and I went in Jan 2009 and LOVED it! We were there for 6 nights and stayed in a regular poolview junior suite. I think we were in building 8 and had an end unit, which was nice. The only incidentals that we spent were at the spa for a couples massage, but other than that- everything was basically taken care of. We just wanted good food, great pools and to relax
emteeth.gif
. Even our friends said that we looked really relaxed when we got back! The beach is nice and the staff does work hard to get the seaweed out, but the pools were what drew us to the property. I LOVED the hammocks! (those pools weren''t heated when we went), but since your going in May, it shouldn''t be a problem. If the beach is really important to you, I would also look into Secrets Maroma Beach, their beach is supposedly voted one of the best in the world.

Overall, the service is impeccable and you will have a really relaxing time! Let me know if u need anything else!

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
I went in December ''07 (with girlfriends), February ''09 (with boyfriend), and am going again in December!!!

Obviously, I love it.

I''ve stayed in the regular room and the swim-out room. The swim-out is neat, but for us it wasn''t worth the extra money to book anything but the regular room (we were upgraded the one time because the resort was so new). The rooms are totally gorgeous and feel really swanky.

On each trip we didn''t spend any money other than tips, but we did tip liberally and often. Really, all I did was sit by the pool, read books, and drink. And eat. And played a lot of table tennis with boyfriend for some reason. I never used the beach, but I don''t really like sand. The pools are so nice and have the swim-up bar that I was never even tempted!

missrachelk

Shiny_Rock
DH and I spent our honeymoon at EPM almost one year ago! We loved the resort and highly recommend it. We went the first week of December and it was a bit chilly some days, and definitely windy, otherwise it was warm enough in the sun and the pols were fine to swim in. The wind kept us by the pool which was warmer and we got great waiter service around the pool each day. Going in May will be beautiful.

We stayed in an Excellence club jr suite, in building 8, I believe our room was 8351 - we were on the corner of the building and had great views. If you have the money to burn I would go for the rooftop terrace suite, those looked amazing!

On the other hand, if you''re budgeting, I would say forego the Club, if you utilize the services available to all guests, like room service, you really don''t NEED anything in the club, it''s just an extra level of service, feeling extra special and exclusive and another place to go for snacks/drinks. For instance I stopped by the club just about every afternoon for snacks, when I could have just as easily ordered room service or had something at one of the restaurants.

We brought about $1200 of wedding cash with us and only spent a few hundred. We charged our one excursion to the room which was $160 or so for the 2 of us for the day to Chichen-Itza. We loved the excursion, but be aware that it is ALL DAY, the ride is long there and back. But the group of other couples we went with was great, we ended up hanging out with several of them later in the week. We also went over to Isla Mujeres on our own and including our lunch I think that day was less than $100. There is a nice shop and jewlery store on the resort and if you like trinkets it would be easy to spend another few hundred on tshirts etc.

One of the things we spent the most cash on was otc medicine and sunblock which are both super expensive at the resort and off (we checked) so bring tons of sunblock, aloe, cold meds, immodium - anything you MIGHT need, bring it so you can avoid the $25 sunblock that lasts one day, or the $1 per pill day-quill. I came down with a cold a few days into our trip, I think partially because of all the stress leading up to the wedding.

Have a great time!!

Just in case you aren''t 100% set on EPM, we also went to their resort in Punta Cana, DR this year for DH"s birthday (EPC) which was also wonderful. EPC is an older resort and quite different in style (more caribbean vs sleek and modern) but we had a great time there too. IMO EPC has a better beach and pool, but EPM wins out in all other areas: wow factor of the beautuful lobby, awesome modern rooms and we though the food was better at EPM. EPM also has many more AC''d spaces where EPC is more open-air.

Feel free to ask more questions if you have any! I loved our honeymoon and now think that I just miught be hooked on Excellence! I''m already plotting how to get DH to take me on a trip there in 2011 for my 30th birthday!

les12

Shiny_Rock
Thank yall so much!! I''m really excited about it, and I''m 99% positive this is the place we will go with.
I think we''ll be staying in one of the rooms with a rooftop terrace which I am really excited about!
Also right now through dec 21, all rates are 25% off when booking for next year, if anyone else is interested in looking into it!

laughwithme

Brilliant_Rock

Ooooh!!! I booked my honeymoon to EPM just last month, and we are headed there on June 27!! I so cannot wait. I also had heard so many good things, which is why it was a no-brainer for us. On Trip Advisor, many avid resort people (who’ve been to dozens of resorts) said EPM was absolutely the best, no question. I also contacted my travel agent about it and she said that when EPM first opened, she began hearing so many awesome things, she booked her own trip there and now she recommends it first to most of her honeymoon couples.

We originally considered the rooftop terrace and, if you can afford it, I would do it- try to get a corner room for the panoramic views. We were able to save about $1,200 by NOT getting the RTT room, and, well, to us, it wasn’t worth $1,200. We knew we would be on the beach/in the pool much of our time, and we read on Trip Advisor that many people do not actually end up using their RTT more than once during their stay. So it’s a personal decision.

We are taking a day trip to Isla Mujeres – we will ferry over there, rent a golf cart, snorkel, shop, etc. Not sure if its allowed on the forum, but order a map from MapChick for $10 if you want to take a day trip to IM – she scopes out all the secret spots for everything. We plan on doing one afternoon at the spa – maybe our last day, since massages make me sore. Other than that, we plan on pool + beach + booze + food…!!!! Another thing I can’t wait for is the private hottubs in each room – they are half indoor, half outdoor, with a sheer drapery to keep you private. I can’t wait to order champagne and drink it in our private hot tub.

I hope you choose this place, I know we can’t wait!!!
36.gif

les12

Shiny_Rock
I love hearing everyone''s comments on this!! Laughwithme, you''re probably right about not spending the extra $$ for the terrace which will most likely not be used very much. The reason I was considering it is because my fiance''s parents are helping out with the honeymoon as our wedding present, so I thought it might be a nice splurge, which we probably wouldn''t have wanted to pay for all on our own. However, now I''m thinking I may put that money toward some nice spa treatments and excursions!! If any of you would like to share your experience, please do! I''m so thrilled to hear it!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results