shape
carat
color
clarity

Ever wish you''d spent more money on bling and less on clothes, shoes, handbags etc?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A recent thread about bling and the recession got me thinking that perhaps I should have spent less on clothes, shoes, handbags etc. so I could have put that money towards more bling instead - whilst still keeping our overall discretionary spending within a certain limit? Honestly, even though I don't spend that much money on such things in general these days, I keep thinking about how I could have got more bling or upgraded my bling if I hadn't spent the money on these other things instead. I tend to wear the same clothes and shoes generally and carry just one or two handbags on a daily basis (except for the rare special occasions).

My best friend however, only owns two items of bling, one 1.6ct Tiffany Lucida and a Tiffany eternity ring. She's wanted a pair of diamond studs for years and still has not got them. In the meantime, her hubby and she herself spend thousands (I'd guess, don't really know for sure) on designer clothes and shoes and to a lesser extent her handbags. They have a wardrobe that would make most fashinista's green with envy. Well, actually, they have one huge walk-in wardrobe and a guest room which they fill up with their stuff. I think between them they must own about 300 pairs of designer shoes. They don't wear anything but designer gear. Granted, they look really beautiful (well, they are beautiful people anyway) in their designer outfits, but I keep wondering why they haven't got round to buying her a pair of studs and all she wants is a 1-1.5cttw studs (she has tiny earlobes).

I guess each to their own, huh (?)

What about you?

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Depends. If your job requires a certain "look," then I guess you need to play along. It''s like nails...ok, over the years I have *invested* at one time or another in tips, manicures, and such, in the name of keeping myself looking as best as possible--but is it a neccesary expense? No. But on some level it was/is.

I''m one of those people where the bling does not match the wardrobe. I''ll wear something til it falls apart and I really only own the bare essentials in clothing and shoes. It''s weird, I know. I hate clothes shopping. Give me 5 of the same thing in diff colors and I''m good to go.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Me too. I don''t follow fashion and I abhore handbags and heels. As long as I have the basics, I''m good to go, so most of my money does go to bling.
11.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sometimes I think about this, but I actually like clothes, shoes and handbags more than diamonds (GASP!) so I don''t care.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i''ve never been a "clothes" type of person,90% of the time i would be in T shirts and jeans,but then i would buy an expensive piece of jewelry if i can afford it.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/15/2009 11:16:28 AM
Author: Dancing Fire
i''ve never been a ''clothes'' type of person,90% of the time i would be in T shirts and jeans,but then i would buy an expensive piece of jewelry if i can afford it.
I prefer to spend on the handbags I collect rather than bling these days, I am very fortunate to have what I have but I don''t long for more really. There are pieces I would like get eventually but for now I am content.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
I like handbags a lot, and I tend to buy really classic styled bags (I still carry my first coach bag that I was given about 8 years ago), but I'm not really "fashionista" about it, in the sense that I never want/like the "now" bags. I like jewelry better for that very reason. With jewelry, looks last for years and can be handed down for generations. Clothes don't really work like that...so I'm perfectly happy with my Target/AT Loft duds that allow me to save for other things.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/15/2009 10:52:53 AM
Author: thing2of2
Sometimes I think about this, but I actually like clothes, shoes and handbags more than diamonds (GASP!) so I don''t care.

Hehe - I''m with thing2, sort of. If it really came down to an either/or, I''d probably take the clothes/shoes/handbags. But it would be a close call.

I do like to spend enough to feel like I look good when I leave the house, and I''m guessing this will become even more important to me and also a bigger part of my budget once I actually start working and need to dress professionally most of the time.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Now that I'm not working, I'm happily out of suits and back in jeans. I don't have that many pairs of shoes and handbags. But, the ones I have are not inexpensive. However, to me, they are classics and I expect to wear them for quite a while.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/15/2009 10:52:53 AM
Author: thing2of2
This is true for me as well, at least concerning shoes, but it really helps out that I don''t really like diamonds, so my gemstone buying hasn''t been decreased that much.

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/15/2009 11:16:28 AM
Author: Dancing Fire
i''ve never been a ''clothes'' type of person,90% of the time i would be in T shirts and jeans,but then i would buy an expensive piece of jewelry if i can afford it.
There is nothing sexier than a man in jeans and t shirt and a really nice watch. It''s like they are comfortable in their own skin at the same time paying attention to little details. In my mind kinda like Robert Redford. (My age is showing.
10.gif
)

waxing lyrical

Shiny_Rock
I''m not a clothes, handbag or shoe girl. I spend a good chunk of change on natural and bespoke perfume and then, of course, sparklies.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t spend a lot of money on clothes and shoes, however, those are my preference. I only need a few pieces of jewelry to be satisfied (and have all that I need as of now) but it seems I cannot seem to have enough sweaters and camisoles and always am hunting for new ones.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, because Monday morning quarterbacking and second guessing yourselkf is a waste of time .

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
These replies are interesting. Thanks for replying, PS''ers.

Generally, for those that replied, roughly the majority prefer bling, but a fair number of you said you prefer clothes/shoes etc, which is a little bit surprising for me.

My tai tai friend says that you have to dress smartly to match yr bling, rather than the other way round. My best friend, as I mentioned, cares not very much about her bling but her wardrobe is of utmost importance in making her feel good about herself.

My dressing, although professional enough when I am working, is not OTT, designer-wise. I have far too many evening dresses and fancy shoes, however, that barely make out of the wardrobe, particularly these days. I shudder to think of much I''d "wasted" on these. From this point onwards, I will exercise more discipline and not buy any more clothes, shoes, handbags etc for a while. I''d rather have jewellery that I could thoroughly enjoy (when my self-imposed bling moratorium is over
3.gif
) and later leave to my nieces and our (future) children.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, I''m a porker post kid so I am not into buying any clothes these days!
20.gif

I wasn''t beforehand either, to be honest. You know you don''t shop enough when your own husband is telling you to go out and spend a little money on yourself.

I like a bling project once in a while but mostly for special occasions. I don''t care to have a jewelry box filled with stuff. In fact, I''m a bit discombobulated since I will have three rings to wear soon and only two hands - I hate having the choice!

Me, I''ll always really only enjoying spending money on my original two loves...fine dining and travel. And neither is ever a waste.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
To be honest, no. I have small collection and I''m proud of what I own...but I love a lot of things and I''m not a bling addict. I love purses, and shoes, and home goods.

puffy

Brilliant_Rock
NOPE. i love all my designer clothes, shoes, and handbags. i just got brand new clothes and a few handbags from DH, and i am already looking into my next handbag purchase. clothes and shoes i buy year round. if i see something that i like, i get it.
i like my jewelry collection thus far. i don''t even wear all pieces all the time, but it''s nice to have options. the only thing that i wear all the time when i go out is my ering and wband, and of course my studs which i don''t take off.
i would much rather have my designer clothes (nice jeans, tops, jackets), shoes, and hangbags over more jewelry that would just sit there. don''t get me wrong, i am still going to get jewelry, but i like shopping for clothes and shoes all the time.

babysteps

Brilliant_Rock
I would say ''no'', but I think that''s because my other fave indulgence is handbags and I have stuck to the classics and/or styles and colors that I really, really love. I try not to buy based on what is currently fashionable if it doesn''t work for me - so some seasons I haven''t purchased anything. Other than jewelry and bags - I am pretty low key, a jeans & loafers, J. Crew kind of style. I take great care of my bags, too, so I hope to be able to have my daughter use them one day - by then they''ll be vintage!
1.gif

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nope, I much prefer spending money on designer shoes than diamonds.

AdiS

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/15/2009 8:51:07 AM
Author: justjulia
Depends. If your job requires a certain 'look,' then I guess you need to play along. It's like nails...ok, over the years I have *invested* at one time or another in tips, manicures, and such, in the name of keeping myself looking as best as possible--but is it a neccesary expense? No. But on some level it was/is.

I'm one of those people where the bling does not match the wardrobe. I'll wear something til it falls apart and I really only own the bare essentials in clothing and shoes. It's weird, I know. I hate clothes shopping. Give me 5 of the same thing in diff colors and I'm good to go.
Same here. When I go shopping, I'd buy a black suit (or two
3.gif
) with both skirt and trousers, a couple of shirts in different colours and I consider my duty done. I like bag and shoes shopping a little more but still I can't say I spend that much money on them. I used to but not anymore. Sparklies, on the other hand... Well, let's just say that the extent of my bling obsession is starting to scare even me. Well, what can you do. I consider the simple, classy black clothes combined with a unique piece of jewelry the quintessence of elegance.

chiquitapet

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/15/2009 8:51:07 AM
Author: justjulia
Depends. If your job requires a certain ''look,'' then I guess you need to play along. It''s like nails...ok, over the years I have *invested* at one time or another in tips, manicures, and such, in the name of keeping myself looking as best as possible--but is it a neccesary expense? No. But on some level it was/is.

I''m one of those people where the bling does not match the wardrobe. I''ll wear something til it falls apart and I really only own the bare essentials in clothing and shoes. It''s weird, I know. I hate clothes shopping. Give me 5 of the same thing in diff colors and I''m good to go.
OMG. That`s exactly me. I have couple of favourite pants in different colours and just got today an awesome shirt in 4 different colours... LOL.

The only designer product I have is a LV handbag... I much prefer to spend money on bling than anything else.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/15/2009 10:30:13 AM
Author: Chrono
Me too. I don''t follow fashion and I abhore handbags and heels. As long as I have the basics, I''m good to go, so most of my money does go to bling.
11.gif
Yeah I''d rather save for sparklies. Plus starting this summer, I get to wear scrubs to work everyday. That cuts down on my nice clothes spending a lot!
9.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
No. I enjoy the other things I spend money on (travel, apparel, handbags, home decor, etc.) as much if not more than my jewelery. Really all that''s important to me are the few core pieces (in my case, engagement ring and wedding band are more than enough), so I wouldn''t rather skip the other discretionary spending in order to acquire more jewelery.

Bia

Ideal_Rock
I don''t spend a lot of money on clothes or jewelry. My engagement ring is the only really expensive (over $1000) piece I own to date, and other than the diamond studs in my ears, it''s the only jewelry I wear on a regular basis. I do have costume stuff but not expensive. I do have a weakness for expensive shoes but rarely buy them...maybe twice a year (if that). As for clothes, I hardly ever buy anything designer or very expensive....Banana Republic is about as expensive as I go unless I find something truly extraordinary that I won''t find anywhere else. For me to spend $150 on a pair of jeans? Won''t happen.

I''d much rather use that money to travel or buy things for our home.

So to answer your question: I don''t spend enough on either so, no. LOL

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have no regrets regarding clothes or jewelry purchases. Last few years spent more on jewelry than clothes. This year purposely trying to spend more on clothes, less on jewelry both to even things out, plus now that my youngest is 2 I am out of the pregnant/nursing changing body shape cycle.

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
Well, I think it''s important to invest in clothes even if they are only the basics. I will admit that I don''t buy as much designer stuff as I used to. Ralph Lauren is pretty much the highest I will go these days. And I will only buy something at full price if I really want it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results