shape
carat
color
clarity

Evening stones - daytime stones

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Which stones you think perform better in the evening (under artificial light), and which ones come alive during the day? Please include opaques, cabochons etc.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great topic and I can't wait to see what people think!

Night stones that sprang to mind:

Aquamarine
Kunzite
Alexandrite (good quality ones)
Morganite (the peach coloured, not pink variety)

Need to think about what looks best in the day but depending on the tone/saturation, I'd say that some Sapphires look best during the day.

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was told that sapphires are daytime stones.... but other than that, I would have to guess on the other stones.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
some daytime stones would be:

Pink Tourmaline
Rubellite Tourmaline
Chrome Tourmaline
Aquamarine
Tanzanite
blue sapphire will be more blue

Night stones:

Most garnet
Some spinel

ma re

Ideal_Rock
I''d say emerald is a daytime stone for two reasons. First being that his usual less than perfect clarity doesen''t benefit much from reflections and refractions of direct light, and the other being that most people prefer bluish green color over yellowish green.

Turqoise is also a great daytime stone, cause it''s color looks nice and vibrant in sunlight, but also deepens to a degree in the shade. Same goes for pink coral.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tourmalines with lots of extinction usually perform better in sunlight. I find the lighter ones usually perform better in incandescent light. In fact, you know if you have a fine tourmaline if it doesn''t matter which light it is. I think that could be said for most stones - if it''s fine quality.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/16/2008 11:14:05 AM
Author: ma re
I''d say emerald is a daytime stone for two reasons. First being that his usual less than perfect clarity doesen''t benefit much from reflections and refractions of direct light, and the other being that most people prefer bluish green color over yellowish green.

Turqoise is also a great daytime stone, cause it''s color looks nice and vibrant in sunlight, but also deepens to a degree in the shade. Same goes for pink coral.
I have a deep dark green Columbian emerald (it''s a blue green), and I adore it in incandescent lights. It gets this velvety green color. I think it depends on the emerald since there''s so many hues and varieties based on origin.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Pearls? I think most look better during the day. Topaz - evening, with the exception of blue. Amethyst, citrine - evening. Zircons mostly evening (blue again being the exception). Opal - daytime cause it doesen''t need direct light.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I''m sure I read somewhere that malaya garnet was a good evening stone.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/16/2008 2:44:48 PM
Author: ma re
Pearls? I think most look better during the day. Topaz - evening, with the exception of blue. Amethyst, citrine - evening. Zircons mostly evening (blue again being the exception). Opal - daytime cause it doesen''t need direct light.
I think Tahitian and South Sea pearls look great in incandescent light.
emsmile.gif

onvacation

Brilliant_Rock
Cut is important, too. My OEC returns more white light and fire than the crazy sparkle of modern RBs in daylight, but slays them in softer lighting conditions. You can definitely see that they were cut with candlelight in mind.

I think sapphires and rubies generally look better in daylight.

LdyNghtWng

Rough_Rock
Rubies look best in incandescent light...and better in afternoon sunlight than morning..candlelight works nicely!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think emeralds are good evening stones (kind of glow) and perform better than many other green stones such as tsavorites and tourmalines which may darken quite a bit in those situations.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
I like opals better for evening - the flashes of color seem so much more dramatic.

Amethyst and peridot are prettier in the day to me.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results