shape
carat
color
clarity

Even seen something like this?

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Was she a nurse, or in healthcare? All of those god/desses have to do with healthcare in some way. Also the caduceus(Hermes staff) typically used as a healthcare symbol is actually a symbol of advocacy. It also looks like there may be an arrow of Apollo in relation to defeating plagues. Demeter and her grain could be protector/ righteousness/lightbearer...
It's a very cool intaglio.

Last edited:

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Was she a nurse, or in healthcare? All of those god/desses have to do with healthcare in some way. Also the caduceus(Hermes staff) typically used as a healthcare symbol is actually a symbol of advocacy. It also looks like there may be an arrow of Apollo in relation to defeating plagues. Demeter and her grain could be protector/ righteousness/lightbearer...
It's a very cool intaglio.

I think you are correct,
Demeter is patron of wet nurses. Apollo gave the Caduceus to Hermes. Also Apollo had a son, Asclepios who was a god of medicine and carried a staff with a snake.

Last edited:

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Gloria, I am so impressed you could identify the three Greek gods in the piece...how did you do that?! What’s your secret? I’ve seen so many sculptures, paintings and other works of art depicting Greek gods and goddesses and never could tell them apart.

When you study arts, Classicism is kind of mandatory, I also loved it very much.
In that intaglio there are lots of clues, like the arrows, wheat, caduceus, helmet with wings, laurel crown. It is really simple if you think about it, all gods have attributes and animals or objects attributed to them.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very cool! I have a ring that I found maybe 40 years ago that is just like that only with one head. The stone looks like the same.

cmsintaglio1.jpg

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Catmom,
I've seen similar ones before, I believe it is Ares, god of war.
If you google Ares intaglio ring you will find a few.

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It seems to be from the '50's.
Sometimes called Roman soldier intaglio ring, but it's Ares .

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results