shape
carat
color
clarity

Evaluating diamond without Asset or Idealscope images

Miku

Rough_Rock
Hi! I just purchased my first diamond from James Allen, a 1.3ct J VS2 with strong blue fluorescence for 5.5k. The diamond was located overseas so they were not able to provide Asset or Idealscope images, but I decided to take the risk since they have a great return policy. I was wondering how I should evaluate the stone when it arrives. Should I have it appraised or just go with my opinion on how it performs? Any thoughts on the diamond are also appreciated. Thank you!

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.30-carat-j-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-969592

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Overall, i think you took a reasonable risk. I like the proportions, VS2 clarity without clarity characteristics that jump out. Having the stone appraised is an option and recommended. At the end, it is GIA ex with ideal proportions. It should perform just fine. If I were you, i would see the stone under different light conditions (including direct sunlight) to find any excess haziness and milkness from strong fluo you may not like. The stone looks like a new inventory and recently graded. I think you snatched it just in time.

It also looks like it has a brown/grey tint instead of yellow. I personally like.

gr8leo87

Shiny_Rock
flyingpig said:
Overall, i think you took a reasonable risk. I like the proportions, VS2 clarity without clarity characteristics that jump out. Having the stone appraised is an option and recommended. At the end, it is GIA ex with ideal proportions. It should perform just fine. If I were you, i would see the stone under different light conditions (including direct sunlight) to find any excess haziness and milkness from strong fluo you may not like. The stone looks like a new inventory and recently graded. I think you snatched it just in time.

It also looks like it has a brown/grey tint instead of yellow. I personally like.
Impressive work on making out the tint.

pfunk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Miku|1457227426|4000356 said:
Hi! I just purchased my first diamond from James Allen, a 1.3ct J VS2 with strong blue fluorescence for 5.5k. The diamond was located overseas so they were not able to provide Asset or Idealscope images, but I decided to take the risk since they have a great return policy. I was wondering how I should evaluate the stone when it arrives. Should I have it appraised or just go with my opinion on how it performs? Any thoughts on the diamond are also appreciated. Thank you!

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.30-carat-j-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-969592

Can't you have James Allen do the imaging when it arrives at their New York office? They should be able to do that for you and send you the images prior to shipping you the stone. If you don't like the results you can save both parties time and money by not having the diamond sent to you?

Miku

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the replies!

Flyingpig - I'm glad you think I took reasonable risk and the proportions look good. This diamond will be for my second engagement ring, a 5th year anniversary present. We were students when I got engaged so I didn't even dream of a diamond, and went with a small sapphire instead. Well, I developed an allergy to the cobalt in the ring and when we were thinking about resetting it my husband surprised me by suggesting I get a diamond :)

Anyways, I will definitely check the florescence in multiple lighting conditions when it arrives. The florescence is something that drew me to the stone, I love photos of diamonds glistening blue in the sunlight.

pfunk- Asking JA for asset images when it arrives stateside is a great idea! When I asked them about it initially they said they couldn't take photos because it was international and would not come to the US until someone purchased it. I'll see if they can do it now that I bought it and its on its way.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results