shape
carat
color
clarity

Evaluating a cushion!

pommom

Rough_Rock
Hi experts, I did put a deposit down on this cushion but was wondering if I could get some thoughts on the below since I'm super new to cushions, on light return, etc. Thanks so much! [edit: cropped out vendor so I could get an unbiased opinion, although I am a huge fan of said vendor!]

MJ293041-ASET black (Fancy)-01.jpg

MJ293041-ASET white-01.jpg

MJ293041-IdealScope-01.jpg

MJ293041-Officelight black-01.jpg

MJ293041-Officelight Gray-01.jpg

Last edited:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it looks decent...is it eye-clean? I assume the inclusions are not affecting the brilliance?

Can you give us more details on the stone?

pommom

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the prompt response btw!

It's an AGS J SI1, looks eye clean to me. 5.5ct, modified brilliant, table and depth are both 65%. My options were super limited at the weight (and budget) tradeoff.

Here's a video:

https://v360.in/DiamondView.aspx?d=293041&cid=VM.

pommom

Rough_Rock
There's no cut score but it's ideal polish and symmetry (0 and 0).

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
At a J its probably going to show some tint from the side...does IDJ have a good return policy if it ends up not being what
you want?

How big is it? The video looks decent.

Edit...a lot of people on PS would recommend that you lower the size and up color/clarity...but as long as you're ok with it...

Could you give size/price so we can look around on JA? If you're working with a tight budget Yuketiel
is probably your best option.

Edit...Also wonder what kind of setting its going into...color of gold?

Last edited:

pommom

Rough_Rock
Thank you! I have 30 days to return it if I have a problem with it. It's 10.3 x 10.6 mm up (5.5 carats) so it's pretty sizable. I thought I had a pretty discerning eye and it looked eye clean to me, but obviously I haven't had all day to stare at it. We took it outside - I have an F right now and it was noticeably darker, but not *as yellow* as we'd thought.

Needless to say, I'm a little anxious about this!

pommom

Rough_Rock
At a J its probably going to show some tint from the side...does IDJ have a good return policy if it ends up not being what
you want?

How big is it? The video looks decent.

Edit...a lot of people on PS would recommend that you lower the size and up color/clarity...but as long as you're ok with it...

Could you give size/price so we can look around on JA? If you're working with a tight budget Yuketiel
is probably your best option.

Edit...Also wonder what kind of setting its going into...color of gold?

It's 5.51ct, paying $44K, which I thought was a great price (I currently have a 2ct F VS2 that I'm upgrading from). And Yuketiel found both for me. I'm going back and forth on the setting - I know rose gold might help. Thanks so much tyty333!

I was being super greedy with 10x10mm spread. I started out this process wanting an antique cushion cut but there weren't many on the market and for a 10x10mm spread it would have been 100K+.

My husband and I were initially thinking up to $80K... but the antique cushions were in the 9mm spread range (colorless or near colorless though).

pommom

Rough_Rock
It's 5.51ct, paying $44K, which I thought was a great price (I currently have a 2ct F VS2 that I'm upgrading from). And Yuketiel found both for me. I'm going back and forth on the setting - I know rose gold might help. Thanks so much tyty333!

I was being super greedy with 10x10mm spread. I started out this process wanting an antique cushion cut but there weren't many on the market and for a 10x10mm spread it would have been 100K+.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, thats a biggy! That does sound like a decent price for a 5 carat.

Not finding anything in that size/price range...everything is like $10k higher.

This is pretty and yours has the same cut but...$10k higher. (hit shift key when you click on it)
https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD08798550

Found some nice ones at Enchanted Diamonds but they are all running $10-$20k:confused: higher.
https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamo...rloom=true&shape=Cushion&wire_price_max=69370

There is an Old Mine Cushion at Old World Diamonds but it is low in color ...L and doesnt hit the 5 carat mark...pretty stone though
http://www.oldworlddiamonds.com/favorite-diamond-detail.php?ID=65&maxpage=3&sort=favorite&shape=OM

So...looks like you're in good hands with Yuketiel...Please come back and post pictures once you get it! Would love to see it!

pommom

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all of these links! That's super helpful to see the detailed photos. They are all gorgeous. Do you think the ASET / light returns are better on the ones you sent over vs. the one I have? I am fine paying $10K more for better cut and clarity, although the one I have looks nice with my naked eye (both from a light reflection and clarity perspective - the video definitely highlights all the inclusions though).

(Basically, what would you do?!)

I had initially wanted H or better color (I do think I am a little choosy with ALL four C's), but I think that'll run me closer to $80K than $50K.

On the Enchanted Diamonds links, the ASET on the 5.03 J VS1 seems to do better than the one I am buying, but it's also $20K more. I do wonder what the 5.22 J VS2 would look like under an ASET with the 100% cut grade.

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the stone Yekutiel is showing you is very nice and incredible for size, spread, price - if this stone is truly eye clean to you (and I'd encourage you to look at it in all lighting conditions!), then I certainly wouldn't pay $10k more for a higher clarity. However, color is a different story to me....there's a huge difference btw F and J and I really don't know if I'd be comfortable with that in a modern cushion so I'd at least ask if there are any other options for you to compare.

I wonder if he could call in this stone? https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/5.04-carat-h-color-si2-clarity-sku-742681
Or this one which is slightly under 10mm and nicely cut: https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/C475-521532824?

pommom

Rough_Rock
I think the stone Yekutiel is showing you is very nice and incredible for size, spread, price - if this stone is truly eye clean to you (and I'd encourage you to look at it in all lighting conditions!), then I certainly wouldn't pay $10k more for a higher clarity. However, color is a different story to me....there's a huge difference btw F and J and I really don't know if I'd be comfortable with that in a modern cushion so I'd at least ask if there are any other options for you to compare.

I wonder if he could call in this stone? https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/5.04-carat-h-color-si2-clarity-sku-742681
Or this one which is slightly under 10mm and nicely cut: https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/C475-521532824?

Thank you AC117! My #1 concern is the color too. I took my F and the J outside with Yekutiel yesterday - the J was a little darker, but looked more "contrasty" to me than yellow specifically. I wonder if it's a gray-tone vs. a yellow-tone. I was initially hoping to go down to an F, but Yekutiel said that this was an amazing deal and before I knew it, I was in the process of buying this - he has a way with that.

It's generally really hard for me to get a sense of how much something will bother me until I'm wearing it all day and that's exactly what I'm anxious about.

I thought it looked fine, but I also know it's a "J".

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you AC117! My #1 concern is the color too. I took my F and the J outside with Yekutiel yesterday - the J was a little darker, but looked more "contrasty" to me than yellow specifically. I wonder if it's a gray-tone vs. a yellow-tone. I was initially hoping to go down to an F, but Yekutiel said that this was an amazing deal and before I knew it, I was in the process of buying this - he has a way with that.

It's generally really hard for me to get a sense of how much something will bother me until I'm wearing it all day and that's exactly what I'm anxious about.

I thought it looked fine, but I also know it's a "J".

Yekutiel has an excellent eye and he also has access to so much inventory so he definitely knows a good deal when he sees them and honestly tries to pass it along - he could easily mark that stone up a few thousand and still come in less than other vendors with stones that have the same specs and I really respect that about him. Since he has such a great return policy and this is a great deal, why don't you put it in a simple solitaire and wear it for a week and see what you think?

pommom

Rough_Rock
Yekutiel has an excellent eye and he also has access to so much inventory so he definitely knows a good deal when he sees them and honestly tries to pass it along - he could easily mark that stone up a few thousand and still come in less than other vendors with stones that have the same specs and I really respect that about him. Since he has such a great return policy and this is a great deal, why don't you put it in a simple solitaire and wear it for a week and see what you think?
Great call! And I meant "going down to an H color" - not F (although I see the two color grade difference is a huge chunk of change). Thanks for the insights. I'll do that and send real-time photos once I have it!!

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great call! And I meant "going down to an H color" - not F (although I see the two color grade difference is a huge chunk of change). Thanks for the insights. I'll do that and send real-time photos once I have it!!

Very excited to see what you think!! That baby is going to look HUGE I'm sure!! :love:

pommom

Rough_Rock
Very excited to see what you think!! That baby is going to look HUGE I'm sure!! :love:[/QUOTE

]

I'm super excited!!! Here are a couple photos loose.

IMG_9527.JPG

IMG_9535.JPG

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@pommom Holy moly!!!! Are you sure your finger can carry that boulder?!?!?!? You might have to do weight training with your ring finger before rocking that thing!! :lol::lol::lol: Envious of your tiny fingers, too!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! That's amazing now that I see it near your finger for reference!!! Really big!

I can definitely see the tint in it compared to your round but I think you have a good skin tone that will still make a lower color pop!
Its all about whether you can handle the color or not...I personally would be fine with it (and my ering is a D...but unlike some people
I feel its too white:-o). I'm just not normal :lol-2:!

pommom

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your kind comments! My ring is a size 4.5 right now. I just got back from Aruba so I have an uber tan (my husband thinks I look Hawaiian at the moment) but I'm usually pretty pasty. (And sorry for the awful state of my mani... lol.) Anyway having a J is a great reason to keep my color this time around!!! I guess I will find out how I truly feel when I get it.

A "D" is icy!!!!!!!! That's awesome! I don't think I've ever even seen one in person!

pommom

Rough_Rock
@pommom Holy moly!!!! Are you sure your finger can carry that boulder?!?!?!? You might have to do weight training with your ring finger before rocking that thing!! :lol::lol::lol: Envious of your tiny fingers, too!

Haha the world's most expensive weight training method!!! LOLOL. Someone should develop a fitness regiment around that!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results