shape
carat
color
clarity

European cut

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chadw

Rough_Rock
I have a european cut ring and I am interested in selling it. Could anyone tell me if it is even worth selling and if so what I might be able to get for it.
Thanks

round european cut
11diameterx6.6deep
5.0 ct
vvs2
h-I
good symmetry

tiffany setting 4 prong
platinum and 10% irridium
size 6

2.2 mm wide 1.8 mm deep 5.5 long .25ct taper diamond baguettes
vs1
h-I

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Is it an old european cut diamond? Can you post a picture of it?

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If the color is not lower than I, the clarity is not less than VVS2, the weight meets 5.00 ct or higher, and if there are no undisclosed "problems", you ave a diamond that will be worth to a dealer (such as myself) $36K.

SOmeone may tell you they'd pay more, but without seeing it, I'd hesitate to build you up just to let you down later on. It could be worth more for several possible reasons, but it also could be worth less for just as many reasons. The number above is a best guess over long distance.

If you have a retail customer for it, it has a greater value to them than to a dealer for inventory. I hope this makes sense to you and is not misleading or too dissappointing.

A photo would have no beneficial effect for a dealer. It needs a face to face look-see for a real buyer. Glad to do this if you are so inclined. Immediate payment if accepted.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
I admire Dave's straightforward response and tentative offer.

When I (formerly) owned my jewelry store and had an old cut diamond that I decided to sell into the dealer market, I would often send it to Dave. His offers were usually significantly better than the majority of dealers I dealt with, and his payment was always prompt.

chadw

Rough_Rock
Thanks a lot guys for all the info, I really appreciate it.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Any pictures to show us...???
3.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sounds like a lovely, huge old ring!!

Would love pictures as well.
2.gif

Was it a family heirloom etc? Are you planning to sell it and re-purchase or just looking for a sale for $$ purposes?

chadw

Rough_Rock
I'm working on getting some pics, will post as soon as I can get some.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Oh, yes, I can't wait to see this one!

Uncle Marty

Rough_Rock
ChadW,
Dave Atlas is right.
Sounds like a real winner of a Diamond.
Before anyone can make you an honest offer they would have to view it.
If you want a closer value of your Diamond on this website you will have to disclose who did the appraisal and when it was done.

Uncle Marty of course

robbe

Shiny_Rock
hey chadw

they may have a good offer for you but be careful,

it seems like all are dying to buy your european cut!?!

be aware some are buying old cuts and repolishing to modern cuts and making huge profit on this.

don't take the first offer.

explore and cp,soder keeping the stone; old cuts have their charms.

good luck,

robbe

robbe

Shiny_Rock
....explore and consider....

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had no idea old cuts are such a good buy! First of all, one does not find such large ones every day... The proportions of your atone (well, those you have posted, of course) are quite closer to those of a modern cut (60% depth, the diameter) of the same weight. You may esaily find that the one 5cts H-VVS2 listed by the PS engine is priced somewhat over 80k. Also, recutting the stone would definitely not add inclusions ot it: so the result would have between IF and VVS2 clarity, and the same color, hopefully. However, this opperation coudl 'shave' quite a bit from the stone since, most likely, the facet pattern may have to de remade somewhat. This, only a cutter can tell you, and YES, the 'recutting potential' could be a major pricing consideration. If it is for the buyer.. then it should be for you, too, I guess !

From this point of view, it woudl be easy to come up with an example of what the determination of expected sale price could be. Just an example, though, sice I am no cutter and I have no idea what the stone looks like in detail....

Let's say up to 1ct goes up in dust during recutting... the resulting stone, around 4cts, could be sold for anything between 35k to 45k (color and clarity are not sure thing either, this could be H-IF or I-VVS2 or something else if the grading on your stone is imprecise). And, the cutter and seller involved need to make a living.

Does this make sense?

Even if the numbers in the example above are off (for the reason said), I suspect the line of thought is not too far of...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results