shape
carat
color
clarity

European cut Engagement Ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

obbie

Rough_Rock
Hello All,
I am looking at getting a diamond engagement ring. I have a close family friend that is going to make the ring for me. He has made alot of rings for friends and family and they all seam to love them. My problem is he is far away from me so I can see what the diamonds look like. He says he has a 1ct. European cut diamond G color VS1 diamond that he can put in the ring design I pick out with 2 .15ct. brilliant diamonds beside it. I am reading mixed info on European diamonds. He and my auntie have told me that this diamond has an incredible amount of "Fire" to it and it would show beautifully. All this in a white gold 18ct. for 4500 Canadian which is roughly 3285 US. He says it will appraise at 2 or 3 times that...should I believe him?

What are your thoughts on European cut? do they retain value?

Thanks everyone.
Nervous Rob...lol

winyan

Brilliant_Rock
Sounds like a good deal to me, especially if you have other family members vouching for his honesty. OMC and OEC stones usually cost lower than the equivalent modern round brilliant. Personally I love the stones..I have a .97 OMC I adore. It's light flashes are 'blockier' because it has less facets than a MRB. It shows really well in candlelight. Anyway, just my two cents.

win

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Winyan, I don't think they have fewer facets than modern brilliants--I think it's just that the lower facets are thicker, so they don't break the light up into as many splinters of reflection, if you know what I mean. Experts, please correct me if I'm wrong.

I, too, think the European cuts are beautiful. As for holding their value--well, diamonds aren't a very good investment on a consumer level anyway. If you're planning to sell it, buy treasury bonds instead.

irem

Rough_Rock
HI!!!

OKay so I have a question for you! Is your auntie a jeweller? do they have a business I can visit? that ring sounds great! any info would be greatly appreciated..

I am under the assumption you are in the Toronto area? I don't know why I assume this....
saint.gif

Bagpuss

Brilliant_Rock
I too have an old cut stone as my e-ring - see 'My 2ct old english cut e-ring' thread in the Show me the ring section to see a pic of it.

These diamonds have a look all their own and do have fire rather than brilliance. They have much smaller tables than modern stones and steeper crown angles. Which diamond you chose, modern or old cut, depends on what you prefer - brilliance or fire. Old cuts do perform best in low light conditions especially candle light, but do equally well in many other lighting conditions such as bright sunlight, strip lights, spot lights, halogen lighting etc.

They are cheaper than modern ideal round cut brilliants at the moment, but I believe that they are coming more and more into their own as a beautiful alternative to modern stones which have a history of their own. I think that the trend to recut them has stopped and people are buying them because they are beautiful, in their own right. Have a look at some of the websites selling such stones and see what's out there and how much they're going for. You can still have your stone certificated by a lab - they are quite happy to certify old cut stones, so you can be sure of what you are buying, just don't try and do a cut comparison with a modern stone as it just doesn't work.

The price seems good to me and the colour and clarity are very high for an old cut stone - many of the ones that are left have much lower colour and clarity grades. It sounds like a fantastic stone and your fiance will have something extra special.

It's a shame that you can't see this stone. I took one look at mine and fell in love with how it looked. Don't dismiss old cut stones - they really are in a class of their own.

winyan

Brilliant_Rock
Glitterata

You maybe correct, I know OMC's and OEC's have 58 facets, but what I had forgotten was so do most RB's. I was probably thinking of the 'newer' fashion cuts, like the one with 100 facets.

win

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
I think it's very important that you go to a local antique jeweler to see if you like the look of older stones. They *are* very different. You're not going to get the flash and dazzle of a modern RB at all. Personally, though, I think they have an unmatched charm. I think of my OMC as shimmering rather than flashing, and would choose an older cut over a newer one anyday. However, you may not like the look, so to be safe you should go see some in person.

obbie

Rough_Rock
Thanks All for your help. It sounds like the old European cuts are pretty good and they have their unique characteristics....Which my soon to be is as well...unique and in a class all her own.

Ya I agree it is too bad that I cant see the diamond but from what I am told it is really bright and firey...(which I hope is good) I will have to see if I can find some jeweler around here that sells those cuts to make sure I am going to like it.

Thank You All for your help
Rob.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Oh, sorry, Rob. I missed that you were the fiance-to-be and not the fiancee-to-be! Better make sure your gal likes antique stones as well, then.

Dulcinea

Rough_Rock
I definitely agree with Hest about seeing stones in person... not only to make sure you like the older cuts, but because each old cut stone is so different. The range of "personalities" is amazing. I considered six or seven different OECs, comparing them side by side, before settling on mine. I was amazed at how much the amount of fire and sparkle varied from stone to stone.

Good luck and let us know what happens!

NewYorker

Shiny_Rock
One thing no one mentioned - IMHO I don't think an OEC diamond would look as nice with the modern cut brilliants next to it.
Anyone else agree?

Hest88

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 10/1/2003 7:24:54 PM NewYorker wrote:

IMHO I don't think an OEC diamond would look as nice with the modern cut brilliants next to it.
----------------
Hm. Good thought. I didn't think about that but I tend to agree. My OMC has melee along the band, but that's rather different than two .15s flanking the stone. The brilliance of the side-stones might look weird compared to the center stone.

obbie

Rough_Rock
Ah Man,,,this is such a hard decision they always are!!
3.gif
I agree with all of you. But there is no way that I can see the diamond until after it set and I get the ring. He said that I can always return it and we can put in a modern brilliant cut diamond if I do not like the look. I just called my Auntie to see what she thinks. She said that you cannot tell the difference between this European cut diamond and the modern brilliant cut. Actually she did no it was an European cut until he told her.

She also said that if she had the money she would buy this in a second just due to the fact that is looks so "amazing". Could the color and clarity make this look incredible?

I hope the other 2 brilliant cuts will enhance the European cut...is that just to wishful..

Rob.
(asking is the easy part...it is buying the ring that is stressful)

NewYorker

Shiny_Rock
I don't think the brilliants will enhance the european cut one. It'll just look different. If you can't see how they look different in person, then go to a website to check them out. I know antiqueengagementrings.com has pics of them with european cut.

obbie

Rough_Rock
Ya I see what you mean Tanya. I also noticed that alot of the diamonds on that site dont show the same..they all look very different...some look very similar to a new brilliant cut and others look more firey of the European cut...hmmm..

Also on page 2 look at the ring that is number 6 and 7 one is european cut and the other is brilliant….personaly I like the brilliant better….but then you get to page 3 and some of those european cuts look just like a brilliant...

obbie

Rough_Rock
Well all I decided to go with it!! We will see in a week or so. I will post pictures once i get it!!

Thank you for all the info and help.

Rob.

Bagpuss

Brilliant_Rock
I, for one, am really looking forward to seeing a pic of your OEC and hearing what you think of it.

caratgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Sounds great, Obbie! Can't wait for the eye-candy.
10.gif

obbie

Rough_Rock
Here it is...I know the pics are bad I will try to get better ones later!! Just so much to do now!!!

I would like to thank everyone for there help with this!! It worked out perfect and she loves it very much!!!

Thanks again
Rob.

MichellesRing.jpg

obbie

Rough_Rock
one more.

P1010021.jpg

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Oh finally!
2.gif
Even though it's blurry I can tell it looks gorgeous! Good job!

Bagpuss

Brilliant_Rock
Mmmmmm, lovely. I knew it would be.
I'm so glad your fiancee loves it too.
love.gif

Congratulations!
appl.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results