shape
carat
color
clarity

Ethiopial Opal...friend or foe?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

daniiopal

Rough_Rock
I have been mining, buying and polishing some ethiopian opals as a hobby for the past god knows how long but in my travels overseas have never actually seen them on the market....? just wondering if i''m the only one....
7.gif

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can buy them in the UK. They tend to be either the yellow or orange variety with little play of colour. Whilst I love Opals, I'm not bowled over by the Ethiopian variety as they (to me) look like boiled sweets (sorry) - or perhaps I haven't seen a good one!!!

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Where are you based? Where do you mean when you say "overseas?"

I know several vendors who sell rough Ethiopian opal in bulk. I think its tendency to be unstable (too high a water content) limits its use as a gem material. Australian opal is very stable in comparison. It''s mighty pretty though.

Richard M.

The Joker

Shiny_Rock
I have had very good success in stabilising Ethiopian Opal along with Virgin Valley Opal with the incasing method I use. If you do a Google search of "Natural Ethiopian Opal", or "Natural Virgin Valley Opal", you can find information and videos of my method. Or you may email me for the information on how to stabililise the water problem.

daniiopal

Rough_Rock
I''m in Ethiopia...therefore the ''overseas'' comment.
You do have a point. I wonder though...is it cause most of the ''mining'' is done on surface level (not more than a depth of a meter) or the overall nature of the opal?

daniiopal

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/7/2008 12:24:20 PM
Author: The Joker
I have had very good success in stabilising Ethiopian Opal along with Virgin Valley Opal with the incasing method I use. If you do a Google search of ''Natural Ethiopian Opal'', or ''Natural Virgin Valley Opal'', you can find information and videos of my method. Or you may email me for the information on how to stabililise the water problem.
I am quite an amateur but i usually leave the opals in the sun for about 2 weeks before i select this particular material for the wheel and its been working for me. Its usually on the polishing it makes you want to pull your hair out though.....if u got any tips i''m all ears.

daniiopal

Rough_Rock
i kinda like the colors tho....

spread461.JPG

daniiopal

Rough_Rock
and its all free.... ha ha ha.....
11.gif

i think i''m getting carried away now....

out of curiousity how much y''all think it''d be worth? sizes range from about 3-7carats.

and more.JPG

tlh

Ideal_Rock
and it''s all free? wowza!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results