shape
carat
color
clarity

Eternity wedding band- sad to replace?

miimac7

Shiny_Rock
I have been wearing my eternity wedding band happily for 12 years. The band is a 2 ct (.10pts), shared prong, plat, from the Facets Collection. Side note- do they exist still I never see them mentioned more? I take the band to my local jewelers every 1-2 years for a check up. This year I was told there is some abrasions noted on a few stones when examined under the microscope. I wear the ring almost daily, taking off to go to bed and if I am doing “ring abusive” behavior. I inquired what that means about the abrasions and I was told that over time the diamonds will dull in sparkle because of the abrasions. I sized up when I was married so I had room to grow into the ring. I work with my hands and my fingers swell probably from the beginning stages of arthritis. So, I’ve for sure maxed out the extra room I gave myself.

I will likely not fit into the ring in the coming years and I surly do not want dull diamonds. So a replacement is on the horizon. I’m super sad to replace my wedding band. I was not as sad to replace my e-ring because I had it reset to an earring. But since I’ve “worn” out the diamonds they are probably not worth a rest.

Any thoughts on replacing your wedding band? How to get over the sentimental part?

Reactions: AV_

miimac7

Shiny_Rock
Like just put the ring on a chain? Or have the ring somehow converted into a pendant?

I thought about just putting it on a chain, but I don’t want to be a dork:lol-2::lol-2:

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Damage is not noticeable at all.

Then, there is no damage.

If you need a larger size, perhaps very slight sizing up is possible, and there can always be more involved options.

2c

digressing: 10pts always seemed a particularly good size of stones for a diamond band!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are they talking about scratches on the diamonds or chips on the girdles? Diamonds really should not scratch. I would get another opinion - maybe they need repolishing? Diamonds don't wear out - they can sustain damage but I'd want more info than what you have before I replaced the ring.

Jacquiemalta

Rough_Rock
As suggested, get another opinion because diamonds don't just wear out although it may need a little refurb. If for some odd reason it does have a limited life left, I'd just wear it until it literally fell off my hand and worry about replacing it at that point. Hopefully when you get it checked out, you'll get many more years wear out of the ring you love so much.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
im so sorry that you have arthritis problems
i too say get a 2nd opinion
maybe it just needs some reconstructive surgery
if it can't be resized or restored to its previous good heath how about wearing it on your pinky ? like Jacquiemalta says, till it wears out completly
then you can still see it and enjoy it and choose a replacement for your ring finger
to me it doesn't sound old enough to be worn out especially as you have taken care of it maintenance wise
otherwise from a sentimental view point there must be something that can be done to resurrect and repurpose the diamonds so all is not completly lost

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Then, there is no damage.

If you need a larger size, perhaps very slight sizing up is possible, and there can always be more involved options.

2c

digressing: 10pts always seemed a particularly good size of stones for a diamond band!

Just forget about it until the ring doesn't fit.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not sure I would fuss too much about microscopic rubs not visible to the naked eye. Plus, gemstones can be repolished. If you were paying to have that done, you could always have them re-set into a new ring (of exactly the same style if you wanted) of a slightly larger size. But I wouldn't bother unless you can see the issue.

Reneeb

Rough_Rock
@miimac7 can I ask a question about your larger 7ct eternity. I ended up getting one ( not u prong) because I loved urs so much. Do you still have it ? Have you had anymore issues with loose stones etc ? I have .50 each with a open basket setting in platinum

Reactions: AV_

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you can’t see the abrasions, I wouldn’t worry about it. Wait until YOU can see it before you worry.

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
I think I would at most consider replacing any stones that are damaged when it's to the point I couldn't live with it.

Iwanttosparkle

Shiny_Rock
If it gets too small and you are sentimental about the diamonds, maybe re-use them as a halo around a colored gemstone as a right hand ring.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You can make two wedding bands of most any size you might need and put a row of these diamonds on the upper half of each band. They can be made so the engagement ring fits in the center of such bands. They can be shaped to fit the central ring. You might need or wish to replace a couple chipped or broken diamonds, but I would be surprised if you have really done a lot of damage to many or most of the stones unless you really have worn it roughly. Daily wear under normal working conditions would not beat diamonds up badly although some people do have jobs which could cause diamonds to wear. It depends on what you do. Let someone look it over who is not looking to make a sale for their independent opinion. Then decide. 10 point diamonds can make a very nice diamonds by the yard necklace

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds like they want to sell you a new eternity band.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results