shape
carat
color
clarity

Eternity Ring Questions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MightyConfused

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone,

Let me just apologize in advance for the length of this post...I admit to being clueless on this topic and definitely feel the need for advice from the RockyTalk wise ones.

I plan on getting engaged soon and know that my soon-to-be fiancée prefers a diamond eternity ring in a platinum setting. This will be her only ring, as she doesn't want the more traditional e-ring/wedding band combination. With that in mind, I've started shopping and must admit that I'm mighty confused! Questions:

1) I've been told that with her ring size (5.5), anything larger than 10 pt stones would be uncomfortable...is that true? With 10 pt. stones, the ring ends up as roughly 2 carats total weight.

2) How important are cut, color and clarity in smaller stones like this? Tiffany's has G/VS2 stones (~2.0 tcw for ~$8,000), but a small local jeweler recommended by a friend says that he wouldn't put anything less than an F color in a platinum setting. He quoted $6,500 for ~2.0 ctw F/VS2 Russian-made, ideal cut stones. I have no idea how important ideal cut is for these stones...is that something I should be insisting on? He also quoted G color stones, and the price difference was less than $100, so for that little money I guess I'd want the clearer stones. Anyone disagree?

3) How secure/safe is a common prong platinum setting with a ring that she'll be wearing every day? I worry that the stones will fall out, or get chipped, or crack.

4) The local jeweler says that he'll replace the stones if they fall out, but not if they crack/chip due to abusive wearing conditions (and no, I don't know what that means exactly)...is this the standard level of assurance from a jeweler?

5) I came across the Tradeshop website (http://www.tradeshop.com/master/melle.shtml) that advertised $1350/carat for round brilliant "russian top cuts" in E-F/VS1-VS2 in .08 to .12 carat sizes. "Top" cut vs "Ideal" cut is a topic more mysterious to me than quantum physics, but someone out there must know if this is important. Also, I know that there would be additional costs for the ring and mounting, but wouldn't these figures imply a cost for the ring much lower than I've been quoted?

Any assistance/advice is very much appreciated!

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
-----------
1) I've been told that with her ring size (5.5), anything larger than 10 pt stones would be uncomfortable...is that true? With 10 pt. stones, the ring ends up as roughly 2 carats total weight.
-----------

Yes, I would agree.

-----------
2) How important are cut, color and clarity in smaller stones like this? Tiffany's has G/VS2 stones (~2.0 tcw for ~$8,000), but a small local jeweler recommended by a friend says that he wouldn't put anything less than an F color in a platinum setting. He quoted $6,500 for ~2.0 ctw F/VS2 Russian-made, ideal cut stones. I have no idea how important ideal cut is for these stones...is that something I should be insisting on? He also quoted G color stones, and the price difference was less than $100, so for that little money I guess I'd want the clearer stones. Anyone disagree?
-----------

No, I don't. To me, quality is just as important in small stones as in large.

The fellow who said "nothing less than F in platinum" is being too stringent. "GH", or even "I" color still looks fine in platinum. Those "F's" do sound nice though. Ideal cuts are not necessarily "important", but still a nice plus.

-----------
3) How secure/safe is a common prong platinum setting with a ring that she'll be wearing every day? I worry that the stones will fall out, or get chipped, or crack.
-----------

A platinum prong-set eternity ring of good manufacture and good workmanship is a secure and safe mounting. You shouldn't have any problem. An independent appraiser will be able to tell you the quality of manufacture and workmanship.

-----------
4) The local jeweler says that he'll replace the stones if they fall out, but not if they crack/chip due to abusive wearing conditions (and no, I don't know what that means exactly)...is this the standard level of assurance from a jeweler?
-----------

Yes. He's being more than fair with you. "Abusive wearing conditions" would cover weightlifters, boxers, rock climbers and angry girlfriends. Other than that, most women are delicate in their movements and careful with their fine jewelry.

-----------
5) I came across the Tradeshop website (http://www.tradeshop.com/master/melle.shtml) that advertised $1350/carat for round brilliant "russian top cuts" in E-F/VS1-VS2 in .08 to .12 carat sizes. "Top" cut vs "Ideal" cut is a topic more mysterious to me than quantum physics, but someone out there must know if this is important. Also, I know that there would be additional costs for the ring and mounting, but wouldn't these figures imply a cost for the ring much lower than I've been quoted?
------------

Well, it's not that hard to be lower than Tiffany's in price... His prices sound reasonable, and entirely possible. You just need to be able to check it out with the safety of an ironclad return policy if you don't like the stones FOR ANY REASON. Pay with a credit card if possible, and then have them reviewed by an independent appraiser.

------------

Rich, GG
Sarasota Gemological Laboratory

BEDAZZLED

Shiny_Rock
My sister's eternity band is 4 Carats Total and she is a size 6. She never complained of comfort.

MightyConfused

Rough_Rock
Thank you both for the input. Some people have said that although the .10 ct stones may be more comfortable initially, you get accustomed to the .15 stones fairly quickly and the larger size has not really been uncomfortable. Just as important, I imagine, is the fact the she likes the look of the larger stones better! At this point, I'm definitely leaning toward .15 ct stones, which works out to 2.85 - 3.00 ct. tw.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results