shape
carat
color
clarity

Eternity ring: 18 ct white gold or platinum?

Freckle

Rough_Rock
My husband is giving me an eternity ring for Christmas ;-) I am unsure which metal to pick...does the metal type matter knowing it would barely show?

Is platinum much heavier than white gold and does it become dark grey with time?
I like white gold because it is light and shiny but I find it is a bit inconvenient to have it rhodium replated. I would be worried this procedure may damage the diamonds, does it?

Please can you give me your advice? Photos of "aged" eternity rings would definitely help too!

Thanks a lot!

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine is a half eternity with unplated 14k WG. I have worn it 24/7 for 4 years. Here's what it looks like today. I love it!

_35698.jpg

_35699.jpg

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
I always go with a platinum ring if there's a choice. Low maintenance and worry free!
Another option could be non-rhodium plated white gold, if you don't mind a slight tint. Or Stuller's X1 wg alloy if you don't have a nickel allergy.

With lower-traffic pieces like earrings and necklaces, the rhodium lasts quite a long time, but rings see quite a bit more wear.

Here's a picture of my Platinum 1/2 eternity next to my thin sterling silver band (the whitest metal). On the diamond side there is virtually no difference. On the band side there's a bit of a tint of you wear them next to each other.

FYI: I've switched my allegiance from full eternity to 1/2 or 3/4 eternity after cracking stones on the palm side of the band, so you might want to think about how hard you are on jewellery before choosing a style.

platsilvetern.jpg

platsilv2.jpg

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought my 5ct asscher eternity estate so I didn't have any say in the setting, it's a minimal shared u prong and 18k white gold. I don't have any problems with it and since there's not much metal any where doesn't really bother me. With that said, I believe platinum is a better choice for prong tightening that may need to be done and I prefer the heft of platinum. I eventually plan on having mine reset and will go with platinum on the reset.

img_10173.jpg

img_10174.jpg

Freckle

Rough_Rock
Thank you ladies for the photos! Gorgeous rings! I love unplated gold, it is very stylish but I would prefer a white metal for this ring. I think I'm going to go with a 3/4 full eternity as I wouldn't want to damage the diamonds at the bottom

@HopeDream and Asscherhalo_lover, how have you worn your rings for?

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
I prefer platinum that being said. This is my story ....my marquise eterity band (4 twc) is 15years old I have lost 10 stones After losing the first 5 (and the ring also split open) we had it reset from platinum to 18k white gold. The jeweler felt that the platinum was too soft hence the loss of the stones. 5 lost stones later it didn't seem to matter. I just lose stones. I love platinum. Also as an aside , I don't under stand plating white gold. Here is a picture of my band in 18K white gold I wouldn't know why one would have to rodium plate it?

_1140.jpeg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
It depends on the style of the eternity band IMO.

I personally have a strong preference for platinum. I prefer the weight of it. If I could, all my white metal jewelry would be platinum. That said, there are times when white gold makes sense.

As for the rhodium plating. You could go for a metal alloy like the Stuller X1 WG that doesn't need plating.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also have a strong preference for platinum. Gold wears away over time, especially the tips of prongs. There are some harder alloys of platinum. I don't think master jewelers like Victor Canera and Steven Kirsch would be making eternities primarily in platinum if that wasn't a good choice.

Victor explains here why he prefers platinum:

https://www.victorcanera.com/education/jewelry/platinum-vs-gold

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My personal choice as others is also for platinum. It wears beautifully & never needs plating. All my jewelry is platinum, except for 2 pieces, of which one is a Rose Gold DBTY bracelet & the other is an 18k white gold WF diamond band, both of which I bought preloved.

Platinum does not become dark gray over time, rather it developes into a 'soft' looking light silver patina. Ask some of your friends if they have any platinum pieces & take a look. WG does show 'wear' eventually.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
...and, if you don't like the eventual patina on platinum, you just have it polished to look as shiny as new and you don't lose metal like you would if you polished gold.

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
Hi Freckle,
My platinum ring is about 3 years since it's last polishing, and my silver band is about 2 years old. The platinum has stayed much shinier than the silver.

Freckle

Rough_Rock
Thanks, this has been very helpful! I've made up my mind: I will go with platinum ;-)

JoshuaNiamehr

Shiny_Rock
Trade
As a jeweler I always recommend 14K or Platinum. I never go with 18K if its my choice as its too soft. I plate everything with palladium and rhodium (double plate). So shine shouldn't be an issue if you maintain your plating.

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Another vote for platinum! :wavey:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results