shape
carat
color
clarity

Eternity Bands Vs. Loose Diamonds

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm currently in the market for an eternity band/stacker of some sort, but I'm kind of having a hard time justifying the cost. You can get a pretty sizable diamond for the same amount of money as some eternity bands! For $2k you can get at least a .7ish diamond. (I'm looking at fancy cuts.)

That said, how many solitaire type diamond rings are worth having? I really think it's better to have pieces I'll wear every day than have a bunch of rings that I would have to rotate, but the .7ish diamonds are calling my name! :cheeky:

What do you think? How do you decide what to go for when you're on the hunt for a new jewel?

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
How many solitaire-type rings do you currently have? Since my solitaire is RB, for the $2k, I'd probably go for a second one in a fancy cut - *however* I'm not a huge fan of fancy, so I'd be more inclined toward an OEC or something.

Have you looked around to see if you can find a stacking band on consignment or similar to save a bit of money?

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I wish I could tell you that I was a practical shopper with a long-term plan, but the fact of the matter is ... I buy what I crave. Periodically, I'll see something that makes my heart beat a little faster and know that I just HAVE to have it. So far, with the big-ticket items, that's followed a fairly reasonable trajectory ... but I've also accumulated, like, 5 eternity bands. Can I wear them all together? ... sort of, but only using two hands and a crowbar, basically - I really do have to pick and choose, so, fundamentally, I'm like the opposite from you and the solitaire(s). I justify the costs of the eternities by, a) finding really good deals (for what I paid for most of my eternities, I'd be lucky if I could afford a .2, retail), and, b) by the sheer fact that I want them more than anything else that money could buy.

I think if solitaires make your heart sing, solitaires are what you should get. I've been seeing so many cute solitaire stackers over in CS that I'm starting to wonder how something like that might look with bezeled diamonds ... maybe in different metals, definitely in different shapes, and maybe even in different hues of fancy (a blue-white, a yellow, maybe a nice rosy champagne). I mean, then, you wouldn't have to worry about rotation .... :twisted:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't really like solitaires except for an e-ring, so I am not sure I'd ever wear a .7 solitaire instead of my 1.6 ct. stone, and I know yours has a halo which probably makes it even larger. I do like the idea of having more than 1 eternity ring, though, and I'd love to get an alternating baguette-round milgrain bezel ring. So my vote goes to an eternity ring or some other kind of right hand ring.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
MC-I don't have any solitaires, actually! My e-ring is a 1.5 carat radiant in a halo with baguette side stones. I was thinking about getting a marquise and setting it E/W in a bezel setting, but I don't know how much I would wear it in place of my e-ring. I also don't know if I would wear it on my right hand while I wear my e-ring...that's a lot of bling for me. I guess it just boils down to me being a size lover, and diamonds in eternity bands are small, so if you get 1 diamond it's a lot bigger! :cheeky:

Circe-sounds like I need you to take me shopping for eternity bands! :cheeky: I would definitely go second hand for this, and I've been keeping an eye out. I don't know if I have the patience to search diligently and wait for the exact thing I want in my size to pop up on eBay or at estate jewelry places, though. Is that what you've done or did you just come across eternity bands you liked at a good price and snagged them? I think I'm like you and for a bigger ticket item I want what I want, and I really do want an eternity band even though my size-whoring brain is telling me I could get more bang for my buck with a loose diamond.

diamondseeker-I think you're right. Will I really wear another ring instead of my 1.5 carat e-ring? Probably not, because I like size! :halo: BTW, a band with alternating baguettes and rounds would be great with your set! Would you wear them all stacked or on separate hands?

Thanks for the input and for letting me ramble! (And I should add that I realize this isn't really an awful dilemma to have! :cheeky: )

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I'd probably get it and have a fancy pendant made. (unless you already have one) I agree there are only so many rings you can enjoy at once. Do you have a 5 stone?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I buy what I know I will wear all the time because for such large ticket items, I do not like things being "wasted" in my drawer.

On a daily basis I wear my solitaire and either my half eternity or a plain gold band. I had a pendant and did not wear it so I sold it. I own earrings now but do not wear them so I am making a three-stone ring with my solitaire stone that I will wear :rodent: I have another half eternity (wedding band) that I do not wear because it is uncomfortable (bad prongs) and I will be resetting the diamonds one day into something I *will* wear, like an etoile style band or a bezel half eternity.

So basically, in your shoes I would think about what you want and whether you will wear it, and get what you will wear a lot!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
swingirl-I do have 1 diamond pendant that's a bezel set round. I hadn't thought about another necklace. Hmmm...not a bad idea! I do love Circe's pear pendant! But I already only wear my diamond necklace when I'm in dressier clothes, so I don't know how much wear I'd get out of another. And I do have a graduated 5 stone diamond ring that's about 1.25 ctw. (It was my grandmother's 25 year anniversary ring.)

DD-yeah I'm leaning more and more towards the eternity band because I also don't like things sitting. I like the idea of an eternity band because I could either stack it with my e-ring and wedding band or wear it on my right hand. Or wear it alone on my left hand if I wanted a little less bling. I think it'll be work out to a really low cost per wear, which will make it more worth it!

Okay, so you're going for the 3 stone! Is that happening now? Or is that going to be down the road? And are you going to use the diamonds from your earrings or upgrade to bigger ones? Can't wait to see what you end up with!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tough! Kinda of like paying 10X for setting a gemstone. Hurts! Haha. I think if these are fun bands, not sentimental, you can find bands closer to 1K. A local B&M has a 20% off sale twice a year and they had stuff in that price range. Get what you are really going to love.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
I'm voting for the eternity, Thing, because I feel like it'll be more versatile. You can wear it alone for a subtle bling look, wear it with your wedding set for super bling, or wear it on your right hand with your w-set on your left. Although, I feel like with some eternities (and you know which one I'm talking about) you'll get more finger coverage than with a 0.7-ish diamond, especially in a fancy cut which can face up smaller (unless you plan on haloing it). I guess the E-W marquis would be fine with finger coverage too, so if that's DEFINITELY the 0.7 fancy cut you would want, that negates my last argument, but if you're still considering (between shapes, settings, etc.) for the solitaire, you might find the 0.7 a bit small (especially since your e-ring has sidestones, great finger coverage, etc.). Just my 0.02 :)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My thinking - if you buy the loose stone, you've got to spend X to set it. And depending on what you're looking for X can be quite a bit! So if you consider that you're otherwise paying for the loose smaller stones and the eternity setting, buying the loose stone *and* setting it isn't really in the same price range unless you plan to do something super-simple with it in silver or low-karat gold... my stomach usually tells me exactly how I feel right after I buy it!

I vote eternity or maybe even a 5stone, sounds like you'd use it more, and 2k goes a lot further :sun:

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
I would go for an eternity or a 5 stone too. You can find some real bargains, especially if you don't mind second-hand. I found my eternity band on ebay for something like $84, including shipping.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
I vote for an eternity as I feel that it will be worn more, as you said. I often thing about how I would love another stone- something different, like an EC or Asscher, but I would never have the cash laying around to buy myself one bigger than my Ering, and I would prob. never wear it instead of my Ering.

I think you should go with what you will love and wear more!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, a 5 stone band would be another option.

To answer your question, I'd have to see if the round-baguette band would work with my e-ring and legacy band. My fingers aren't that long below the knuckle. But I DO think I'd wear the two bands alone when I don't want to wear the e-ring. I do LOVE the look of two thin eternities, though, with an e-ring!

See this picture for a great example!

Kate-Beckinsale-Ring1-396x235.jpg

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1304305548|2909673 said:
Yes, a 5 stone band would be another option.

To answer your question, I'd have to see if the round-baguette band would work with my e-ring and legacy band. My fingers aren't that long below the knuckle. But I DO think I'd wear the two bands alone when I don't want to wear the e-ring. I do LOVE the look of two thin eternities, though, with an e-ring!

See this picture for a great example!

I soooo want a round and baguette band myself!!!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Another vote for an eternity or 5 stone ring--they are versatile! (I actually prefer my eternity ring to my ER....)

Let us help you pick it out! :cheeky:

cheers--Sharon

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tacori-this one is sentimental so I don't mind spending more. I went to a local jeweler that had some great stacker bands but they didn't seem very substantial. I really liked one in particular that had bezeled round diamonds and then filigree in between but I'm afraid I'd break it! I'm not gentle with my jewelry at all.

BEG-good point about the visual coverage of certain eternity bands...hadn't thought about that! I do like the idea of a marquise E/W but I really don't think I'll wear it in place of my e-ring, and I definitely wouldn't wear that at the same time as my e-ring. Why can't everything I want just be around $1k?! :cheeky:

Yssie-good point about the setting cost...it won't be cheap, particularly not with how expensive metals are. I actually already have a 5 stone that's about 1.25 ctw. It was my grandmother's 25 year anniversary gift. I never posted a thread about it because I'm bad about taking pictures!

manderz-whoa! Okay, I need you AND Circe to take me eternity band shopping! :cheeky:

Amys Bling-agreed! I just don't think I'd wear another e-ring type ring. And even if a smaller diamond is less money than an eternity band, if I don't wear it, why bother?

diamondseeker-I think I have that exact picture saved on my computer because I love it so much! What a gorgeous, gorgeous set! I hope you can squeeze that onto your finger with your other 2 rings! :cheeky:

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
All i ever wanted was an eternity band, so i guess you know my vote :bigsmile: I chose an eternity for my ering, because I knew i wanted to wear one as a wedding band eventually and we couldn't afford both an ering and an eternity band.

When we were shopping, I found mine at my local jewelers for a great price -- mine are 10 pointers and around 2.2 carats total -- we paid $2800. It's a substantial looking band, and i have a 7 - 7.5 ring size, so i needed more stones than you would need (you have nice slender fingers right?). I think you could find a great size with your budget -- and we'd love to help you look :love:

I think you'd be surprised at how often you will want to wear an eternity band on its own - it can often be just the right amount of bling!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thing, come to NY and I will totally take you shopping! Alternately, I'm pretty sure if you post your budget and the specs you want, you'll have more suggestions than you can shake a stick at ....

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
What a great situation to be in. :))

My rule of thumb is buying stuff I can wear with the stuff I have now. I hate "choosing" jewelry to wear...I want to wear it all! Hehehe. Obviously I've come to a point where I'm running out of body real estate, so I am buying things I have to choose to wear over another piece. But I know I wouldn't wear a .7 diamond. I would though, stack rings if I had the option for it to look good, so that's what I'd do.

Lately, I've gone against the pricescope mold and are buying some "designer" pieces. I have enough basic jewelry where I wanted a couple of things I have to stand out. So the pendant I bought is one piece, and now I'm saving for a watch. Neither make the most sense financially, since you can get better deals by building your own stuff, but I like having a design that would be hard to create with a PS vendor, even though it's certainly and obviously not unique.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Circe|1304352854|2910049 said:
Thing, come to NY and I will totally take you shopping! Alternately, I'm pretty sure if you post your budget and the specs you want, you'll have more suggestions than you can shake a stick at ....

I live in the NY area, take me!!! :bigsmile:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would not trade my Aurora band for a solitaire. I could have. You are right I EASILY could have gotten a lovely one carat pear for what I spent on my band. But it's just a different animal and having a solitaire I love already, it's just a blast to have a huge row of blingtastic goodness blinding me from my Aurora Band. But I also went with a half eternity, both because I prefer them but also because I wanted larger stones where I could see them: on top of my finger.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
violet-I do love your eternity band e-ring and your stack with the sapphire bands! I think I'll scope out more local jewelers in my area. It's hard for me to buy from a B & M store, though...I'm always afraid the quality of the diamonds isn't as good as what I can get online! PS is a double edged sword!

Circe-that's tempting-I'm not too far away! (I'm in Philly now.) I might have to crash a NYC GTG sometime! I'll probably make a different thread with budget and specs soon...still mulling over what exactly I want. Is "diamond present" too vague? :cheeky:

TGal-I know, right?! #firstworldproblems :cheeky: I'm pretty much sold on the eternity band...now all I have to do is convince my wallet of that! And you have gotten all designer on us lately! What kind of watch do you think you'll go for? For some reason I could see you wearing a Cartier tank watch...

Gypsy-yeah I'm in the same boat as you. I just don't think I'll wear the smaller solitaire type ring. And if I had your gorgeous Aurora band I definitely wouldn't!

canuk-gal-ooooh lots of great options there! Thanks for the link! And if you're thinking about unloading that old asscher eternity band of yours I've got $2k to spare! :bigsmile:

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
Amys Bling|1304385459|2910657 said:

Me too! I love shopping for sparkles :)

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
manderz|1304389446|2910731 said:
Amys Bling|1304385459|2910657 said:

Me too! I love shopping for sparkles :)

Ooo, sounds like we're establishing the critical mass necessary for an NY GTG ....

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
thing2of2|1304343505|2909934 said:
manderz-whoa! Okay, I need you AND Circe to take me eternity band shopping! :cheeky:

:

Haha! I just spent some serious time trolling around on ebay. I made sure my search was exactly the specs I was looking for, and I looked both in fine rings and wedding band/engagement rings. Once I'd entered my size and yellow gold, it was a narrow enough search it wasn't hard to look through all the results. I ended up getting one that had kind of awful pictures, from an individual. I took a chance, and the winning bid was low enough that I didn't have a problem with it not being what I hoped it was. I really enjoyed the search too, as silly as it sounds, part of me was a little sad I didn't have a mission anymore, lol!

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry for the threadjack thing2!

Where about in NY is everyone? I'm western NY, just south of Buffalo.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
manderz|1304390194|2910756 said:
Sorry for the threadjack thing2!

Where about in NY is everyone? I'm western NY, just south of Buffalo.

I'm in NYC ... but happy enough to travel, if there's a town with awesome shopping, or a good jewelry show, or something coming up. But to preserve Thing's thread, why don't I start us a new one?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think the eternity is a good choice - although I really get your issue of "I could get a bigger diamond with that money!" I think PS trains us to think that way. I still think of all jewelry purchases in relation to diamond worth! ::)

I want a mechanical (automatic) watch. Right now I'm looking at more obscure ones like Zenith. There's a blancpain I love, but it's 11K. No thanks!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results