shape
carat
color
clarity

Eternity Band

kimf79

Shiny_Rock
Hello,

I've been pretty much lusting after a nice blingy eternity band for a few years now, and hopefully its in my near future to get it. I have something looks-wise in mind - see link below in instagram. I think you will have to choose to open in app:

https://instagram.com/p/BBgUiKUkJBD/

I'd be looking for probably about .30 stones and my ring size is 3.75. What stats (4 C's) do you think it takes to make it look this good? I have some in mind but would like to hear other thoughts. Any ideas of what to expect with pricing on an item like this - I'm interested in white gold setting. and finally if you know of any great well priced jewelers in LA to check out in jewelry district please let me know. Thank you!!!

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kimf79,
What Cut/shape do you want your diamonds to be? 30 point stones can be lower clarity grade, and still be eye clean...and perform well. The shape and cut of your diamonds will contribute to many things, including performance.
The fact that the eternity band you attached is a u prong setting assists the stones by allowing light to enter as much of the open space possible, and to bounce off more of the stone.
Open gallery settings are best for light, scintillation, and sparkle/flash.
You want the best, consistent cut, when dealing with eternity bands; the diamonds must be so very close in size, design and dimension in order for it to remain proportionate, and to avoid seeing dark spots in some stones, and more light spots in others.
Your color grade must be relative. Consistency is key in all 4 C's, when creating eternity bands...full, 3/4, or half.
What are your ideas?
Cut/Shape?
Color?
Clarity?

kimf79

Shiny_Rock
Hi Matthew,

Thanks for your response. I was interested in round brilliant stones. My first thoughts were of G color, good/very good cut, VS1-VS2 clarity, full eternity band. Would you say to go higher or lower on any of these specs?

When I did begin to price this out, its higher than the budget we have. Yet, I don't really want to go lower on the 4c's unless it really will look amazing still and be totally sparkly and eye clean. We're only buying this band once, so I want to make sure I get something I'm happy with and not just try to get something sooner that I wont be as satisfied with.

Thanks for your input and I can answer any other questions too!

Thanks!

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you wearing it alone, or with another ring/other rings?

ratatat

Shiny_Rock
Premium
What is your budget? I would stick to excellent cut grade stones for maximum sparkle, and go down in clarity to VS2 or eye clean SI1

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is your budget? I would stick to excellent cut grade stones for maximum sparkle, and go down in clarity to VS2 or eye clean SI1

That was why I asked if other rings were being worn with it. CUT IS KING with rounds. You need minimum EX EX EX for your stones. To keep your budget, you'll likely have to drop the color (depending on whether or not you're wearing other diamond rings with the band), and/or clarity to SI range, as long as the stones are eye clean.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Carat: 0.30
Cut: Round XXX
Clarity: SI2-VS2
Color: J-G
That's what I'd look for...

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ID Jewelry does amazing work within pricescopers' cut and eyeclean standards and works magically to stay within budgets of all sizes.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wonder how big 30-pointers are going to look across your tiny finger. I could to some calculations, but I'm on my phone (and lazy).

Are you thinking full eternity or partial?

kimf79

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for your responses. I'm glad to know where I've been a little off. I will look for excellent cut. Maybe I'd be ok otherwise to go with H color stones and VS2-SI1 clarity.

I would likely wear it alone unless it would fit properly and be able to be worn flush with my e-ring. but I actually think of it as something I would like to wear alone and have it be stunning on its own! I am thinking full eternity band.

I will look into ID jewelery as mentioned...

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for your responses. I'm glad to know where I've been a little off. I will look for excellent cut. Maybe I'd be ok otherwise to go with H color stones and VS2-SI1 clarity.

I would likely wear it alone unless it would fit properly and be able to be worn flush with my e-ring. but I actually think of it as something I would like to wear alone and have it be stunning on its own! I am thinking full eternity band.

I will look into ID jewelery as mentioned...

You have tiny fingers...30 pointers will look huge on your hand! You could even go to 25 points, and not lose any presence or finger coverage, if you simply cannot drop past SI1 or H color, and XXX puts you out of budget. Size, in this case, can be negotiable because of your dainty fingers. 0.05 is so minute, but can save you money! ;)2

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another vote to contact IDJ, they can create an awesome U-prong band! I would not be worried to drop in clarity to SI, you won't be able to see the inclusions in that size. Sticking to G/H would be fine. I would ask them to set the stones as low as possible to make it more comfortable.

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi Kim, it looks like you've gotten some good advice here--I just wanted to chime in with another 2 cents. I too, only wanted to spend my budget once. One thing I did is rather than a full eternity, I opted to have a small spacing bar--to allow for the inevitable size fluctuations as we age. I'll post a picture here below of what I'm talking about. I am SO glad I did this! I have the look of an eternity but also the security of size fluctuations if needed.

Custom-Eternity-Diamond-Ring-in-Platinum-by-Whiteflash_42448_f.jpg

Also, I do love the way the u-prong setting looked, but the wonderful Bob Hoskins at WF concurred that the uprong setting leaves the sides of the stone somewhat unprotected. I optioned to get a low set basket setting instead--which WF did an incredible job with the setting as well.

One last thing: if you do wear it with your ering, you'll need a spacer band, to protect both your ering & eternity from damaging each other. I strongly recommend it.

As everyone has said, the #1 aspect to consider for a gorgeous ring is cut above all else--next, color is more of a preference, & then clarity obviously as long as it is eye clean. Good luck & have fun with your project! :wavey:

kimf79

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for all your input! I appreciate it. I looked up ID jewelers and they definitely sound great. I'm in LA how do you work with a jeweler in NY if I can't see the stones or step by step progress or come in and look at diamonds or try anything on? I know people do this but how does it work? I'm just curious if it will be the right for when I can't go in and be hands on about things...?

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@kimf79 can you please share your budget? There are several recommended jewelers in LA but I am not sure if they would work with your budget. Shopping out of state means no tax and IDJ are great about sending videos, updates, etc.

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
There is Victor Canera in LA, but that might blow your budget. They say his stuff is beautiful, so maybe you should not even look, ha ha.

kimf79

Shiny_Rock
Thanks all. Initially the thought this is something we can do for $5k because early on I was quoted something in that range. But I think it's more. My last two quotes from jewelers have been 8k for .25 point stones and 10k for .30 point. I think given my info here I'd like to go up in cut and go down a bit in clarity and color. I think budget will have to go up to get what I want (from the 5k). Curious if anyone has any thoughts on what quote range sounds realistic?

I also contacted a local jeweler in my neighborhood who gave me a quote of 9-16k which I think is overpriced. He is not in the jeweler district.

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Kim, after my experience--I would not hesitate one bit shopping online. I purchased my e band online & it is by far one of the most beautiful pieces I own. I went with a highly regarded PS vender, White Flash. All of the vendors mentioned here have been used countless times with success. Many online vendors are quite accustomed to providing photos etc...I too was quite nervous about pulling the trigger, but so glad I did! Do your research, communicate clearly, get everything in writing before exchanging money and you will be fine. Come here for any question too!
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/wf-eternity-ring-arrived.181339/

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kimf79,
What is your time frame? Do you have a timeline?
I began sourcing Royal Asschers for my 7 stone anniversary band, just yesterday. I am in the ballpark of 0.25-0.30ct stones, SI2-VS1 clarity (I'm good with "eye clean" diamonds at that size), G color to match my other diamonds, l x w ratio: 1.00:1 for perfect, square fit & proportion. We looked at individuals and pairs. I'll be looking at around $700 per stone, or $1,500 per pair (3 pair + 1 single, or 7 singles).
I wear a size 6 ring (finger size is 5.5-5.75). I want 3/4 eternity, with 7 considerable Asschers for major presence; this ring represents our blended family (6 stones for each child, 1 representing the love that brought us together).
I am purchasing each diamond separately (or in a pair), at a time. I have no timeline. This ring will take as long as it has to in order for me to pay for the materials without bankrupting our family of 8...lol! This way, I have no set budget...I pay for each stone, as I go...then, we get into the design, metal preference & construction.
If you don't have a time constraint, perhaps you should consider breaking things up a bit to get to your final project & reach your ultimate goal??

kimf79

Shiny_Rock
Thank you Sarah B you're band is stunning. I read through your thread and I'm definitely more open to choosing a trusted vendor online than I was before. Maybe I will look into whiteflash too as well as ID jewelery. At least start with getting some quotes! Thank you!! ;-)

Kim, after my experience--I would not hesitate one bit shopping online. I purchased my e band online & it is by far one of the most beautiful pieces I own. I went with a highly regarded PS vender, White Flash. All of the vendors mentioned here have been used countless times with success. Many online vendors are quite accustomed to providing photos etc...I too was quite nervous about pulling the trigger, but so glad I did! Do your research, communicate clearly, get everything in writing before exchanging money and you will be fine. Come here for any question too!
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/wf-eternity-ring-arrived.181339/

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that IDJ can get you an eternity in the 5K range. You have tiny fingers! I would call them tomorrow to ask and tell them that you are interested in "PS quality" handselected stones. 9-16k :eek2: that is wayyyyyyyyyyy overpriced! (assuming average quality stones)

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kimf79,
What is your time frame? Do you have a timeline?
I began sourcing Royal Asschers for my 7 stone anniversary band, just yesterday. I am in the ballpark of 0.25-0.30ct stones, SI2-VS1 clarity (I'm good with "eye clean" diamonds at that size), G color to match my other diamonds, l x w ratio: 1.00:1 for perfect, square fit & proportion. We looked at individuals and pairs. I'll be looking at around $700 per stone, or $1,500 per pair (3 pair + 1 single, or 7 singles).
I wear a size 6 ring (finger size is 5.5-5.75). I want 3/4 eternity, with 7 considerable Asschers for major presence; this ring represents our blended family (6 stones for each child, 1 representing the love that brought us together).
I am purchasing each diamond separately (or in a pair), at a time. I have no timeline. This ring will take as long as it has to in order for me to pay for the materials without bankrupting our family of 8...lol! This way, I have no set budget...I pay for each stone, as I go...then, we get into the design, metal preference & construction.
If you don't have a time constraint, perhaps you should consider breaking things up a bit to get to your final project & reach your ultimate goal??

I must edit this, or make amendments:
I just spoke with my jeweler. They have to source all of my stones together to ensure exact matches: color, clarity, and diameter, squared. I will have to purchase all 7 together.
They are working on this for me, now. I am hoping to hear something from them, next week....

kimf79

Shiny_Rock
I think that IDJ can get you an eternity in the 5K range. You have tiny fingers! I would call them tomorrow to ask and tell them that you are interested in "PS quality" handselected stones. 9-16k :eek2: that is wayyyyyyyyyyy overpriced! (assuming average quality stones)

Yes thank you! I will call and ask. I do want to go excellent on the cut after my advice from posting here. but I'm willing to go lower in other areas. Do you think they could do $5k? that would be great. And PS Quality, meaning Pricescope quality?

Yeah the 9-16K was kind of wild. It's a local jeweler and not a diamond district jeweler. They are reputable but that is expensive. When I heard 8-10K from other jewelers that didn't surprise me but over $10K, no thanks! Thanks for your advice!

kimf79

Shiny_Rock
Oh wow so you have to get all 7 stones at the same time! It actually does seem to make sense to ensure they are all properly matching. I don't have any real rush, the only rush is my desire to have this amazing band as soon as I can! :) I think if what I want officially ends up being more expensive than I initially thought, when I price it out with more jewelers than I will have to wait a bit longer to make sure we are getting the quality I am looking for. Since like I said this purchase is not going to happen again, we have my e-ring and two thin diamond bands as of now, and I've convinced my H of my need for a gorgeous blingy eternity band so this is a one time thing, I must get it right! :)

I must edit this, or make amendments:
I just spoke with my jeweler. They have to source all of my stones together to ensure exact matches: color, clarity, and diameter, squared. I will have to purchase all 7 together.
They are working on this for me, now. I am hoping to hear something from them, next week....

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh wow so you have to get all 7 stones at the same time! It actually does seem to make sense to ensure they are all properly matching. I don't have any real rush, the only rush is my desire to have this amazing band as soon as I can! :) I think if what I want officially ends up being more expensive than I initially thought, when I price it out with more jewelers than I will have to wait a bit longer to make sure we are getting the quality I am looking for. Since like I said this purchase is not going to happen again, we have my e-ring and two thin diamond bands as of now, and I've convinced my H of my need for a gorgeous blingy eternity band so this is a one time thing, I must get it right! :)

I completely understand the anxiousness...lol!!
I follow what the jeweler said about having exact proportions. Lord knows, I don't want a crappy ring!! I had just hoped to try to keep this low budget over time, rather than forking out thousands all at once. *Sigh* What can you do? lol!
I must inform you...
Your finger/ring size is almost HALF mine, and I tried on 5 stone U-Prong rings, with ROUND diamonds, today that were 20pt, 25pt, and 33pt. just for perspective size comparison, and the diamond presence on MY finger was HUGE. They even had me try 14pt stones for visual comparison, and, even though 14pts seem "tiny", they still had an impact. My 7 Asscher ring is going to be approx. 3/4 eternity. You will prob only need a few diamonds to get the same effect, due to your tiny finger. I can't imagine your ring will be over $5k....

kimf79

Shiny_Rock
Yes I totally want it soon! I've been dreaming of this lol! Hard to wait. I think what I really have to do is go somewhere and try on bands of .20., .25, .30 and see what really works on me!

Yeah harder to shell out thousands at once for sure!

I completely understand the anxiousness...lol!!
I follow what the jeweler said about having exact proportions. Lord knows, I don't want a crappy ring!! I had just hoped to try to keep this low budget over time, rather than forking out thousands all at once. *Sigh* What can you do? lol!
I must inform you...
Your finger/ring size is almost HALF mine, and I tried on 5 stone U-Prong rings, with ROUND diamonds, today that were 20pt, 25pt, and 33pt. just for perspective size comparison, and the diamond presence on MY finger was HUGE. They even had me try 14pt stones for visual comparison, and, even though 14pts seem "tiny", they still had an impact. My 7 Asscher ring is going to be approx. 3/4 eternity. You will prob only need a few diamonds to get the same effect, due to your tiny finger. I can't imagine your ring will be over $5k....

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results