shape
carat
color
clarity

eternity band pointers for dummies

jrich

Shiny_Rock
Hello my PS friends-

I was wondering if anyone could link to or wouldn't mind typing up a quick and simple explanation on pointer sizes? Every time I think I understand, I read something that confuses me again. For example sometimes I'll see someone write .4 pointers and someone write 4 pointers. Is this the same? Is a 1 pointer equal to .1 carat or .01 carat?

Clearly I am confused, so thank you!

Jessica

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
.01= 1 pointer .10 = ten points so 5 pointers = .05 and .5 = a half carat.

I notice people making the same mistake all the time as well and I"m sure I've been guilty of it as well.

AuntKiki

Shiny_Rock
Think of pointers like pennies. .01 is one pointer/one cent. .10 is ten pointers/ten cents. That's the only way I can keep track and I read it somewhere on here!

jrich

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Christina! That helps so much, I think I maybe finally get it! I know I want to get a 3/4 u-prong eternity band in yellow gold to go with my Vatche tiffany 1.5 solitaire.

What size pointers do you think would look good? I saw pictures of the 10 pointers which I thought looked a little big, and pictures of 5 pointers that looked a little small, but then again my ring size is 4.75. So I was thinking maybe 7 pointers? I want good quality stones, but the color isn't important- honestly I'd rather them be lower since my ering is a K and I don't want to highlight any tint. Do you think I'd need to go smaller on the pointers to keep the color contrast down?

Finally, what would you expect a yellow gold, u-prong 3/4 eternity with around 7 pointers to come in at price wise? Just a range even would be helpful so I can see if I am headed in the right direction.

If anyone has something like this for IDJ and can let me know what they think the price would be, that would be great since that's where I will probably get it from!

Jessica

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just send Luann at IDJ an email and let them know you're a PSer, you seem to know exactly what you want and they will send you prices accordingly. I've bought 2 eternity bands from them and they were terrific.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I purchased an 8 stone x .12 points from IDJ and it came to under $1400US. It took about 2 weeks to make and it was shipped FedEx overnight from NYC to Ontario Canada. Luann was wonderful!

This is my ring:https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/idj-u-prong-1-2-eternity-band.171971/

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think that five pointers are the perfect size. My hald eternity is that size and it works with many different size solitaires. It is 2.3mm btw, which also matches most shanks on rings. I had a half eternity with 8 pointers and I thought it was too big with my 1.7ct solitaire.

jrich

Shiny_Rock
Thanks dreamer! Do you have pics that could help me see the 5 versus 8 pointers??

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Best go see this in person at a good jewelry store. Spend some time with different setting styles and with different sized stones. Memoire dealers are a good bet. Seeing things like this online is NOWHERE near as helpful as seeing them in person.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Have you gotten your ering yet jrich? I searched your topics and saw that you decided on a 1.43 but I couldn't find pics. How is your diamond set? Is it a solitaire? I guessing that if I had a K colored stone I would want HI melee for an eternity ring. I have an I color now and the shank has EF .02's, I was concerned that I would see a color difference, but my melee are so tiny that I can't really see a contrast, the melee just adds extra sparkle. When I look only at the melee I can see how very white they are but they don't make my center look less white as a whole. I would suspect that you would feel similar if you had an eternity set with HI colored stones.

As far as what size melee to use, I think it's a matter of preferences. Are you looking for something to just compliment your center stone, or are you looking for a blingy look? Have you had a chance to look through the Show me Your Eternity Rings thread? I also agree with DS that you should try a bunch on and take photos to try and decide which look is best for you. It's also going to be important that shank of the ring is set low or high enough to sit well next to your e-ring, sound simple, but can be a very frustrating experience!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jessica, if you can find my recent Tiffany thread, I tried on several diamond bands. There was one with 8 pointers and one with 3 pointers, off the top of my head. I have a band with 10 pointers but I do prefer a little smaller, personally.

jrich

Shiny_Rock
Thanks again everyone! Christina my ering is with Vatche now getting set into the U-113 that Bliss, DS and SNA have. I initially had it set in one of IDJ's solitaire settings, and after it was sent to me I realized how much I wanted the Vatche, so IJD was nice enough to work with me to switch it out and have Vatche set. I have about 2 weeks left to go before it gets sent to my boyfriend, and this time, I am NOT going to look!! Since I have already seen the diamond and know I love the Vatche setting, I am feeling very confident that I am going to be happy.

I think it is great advice about going to try on rings. I actually live right by a Tiffany's, so I might just go there to try on bands. I have a feeling somewhere around the 7 pointers is going to be what I like, but we will see! I was scared that since my ering isnt a real tiffany but a tiffany look a like, that the sales people might not be too nice, but it sounds like they were wonderful to Diamondseeker.

Thanks again everyone!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results