shape
carat
color
clarity

Eternity band owners, please help.

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
Is there any downsides to wearing an eternity band regularly? I question this because I'm facing the challenging decision of a 5-7 stone vs a full eternity.

I started to weigh out pros and cons, I wonder having the diamonds in your hand if they snag more on things, maybe cut up the steering wheel of your car? I really love the 5-7 stone bands, way more than I thought, but my original vision has always been a full eternity, so I'm just trying to see how to sway my decision.

:wavey:

Thank you!

ElizabethR

Shiny_Rock
I've never had a full eternity so can't speak to that. i've had a beautiful 5 stone for a few years and I love wearing it. I've never had any problems with it as it stays topside. :D

kmarla

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have a full eternity and a 5-stone. Honestly though I wear them more occasionally than everyday, so I can't help much with how they hold up to daily wear and tear. Have you thought about doing a 3/4 eternity? It would give the look of a full eternity but the bottom would be smooth and less likely to snag on objects or lose stones.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, I have a 3/4 diamond band and a full diamond band. The 3/4 band isn't "fitted" as such so it does "swing" a bit so I often look down and re align it. However while the full diamond band is always "right way up" I gave myself an upset when I stumbled a bit on some stairs and grabbed at the metal railing hard. Yep, I chipped two of the diamonds. Diamonds are hard but they aren't so good with "impact" situations. If your band is channel set it is better, then you have the "rims" to hold the diamonds and you won't get snags or bent prongs and hopefully not smash your diamonds if you grab onto hard surfaces.

RockOnReen

Shiny_Rock
I think a lot also depends on the style and quality of the ring itself...I had a full channel set gold eternity in the late eighties that I wore all the time and after only a few months the stones started to loosen. I switched it out for a designer half channel set band with smaller stones in platinum which wore well and then later moved to a full platinum eternity by Tiffany (the Metro) which I've now worn daily for years with no problems at all.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've worn a full eternity daily for the past 9 years in shared prong setting. The quality of metalwork determines whether it'll snag on things and hold up over the years. Mine is plat and built like a tank so I haven't had any issues of the years. I take it off when I get home or go to the gym so no activities where it's more likely to get damaged. I can't imagine gripping the steering wheel hard enough to actually make a dent in it with the ring.

clearfading

Shiny_Rock
I think it is personal preference. I have a larger eternity band and it is beautiful, however I am currently trying to sell it. I wish it wasn't eternity. It would have saved me money and long term I did not like the idea of having difficulty with sizing it.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Besides the possibility of chipping diamonds, especially those on the palm side, I'd take into consideration the following:
1. how often your ring size changes
2. if you are done having kids - it sounds like some people end up with bigger or smaller ring sizes post-pregnancy
3. how often you plan on wearing your ring - occasional wear versus daily wear.

You could always do what Bliss did - she started out with a 5 stone, then went full eternity.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have been wearing my WF eternity for 4 Years 24/7 and I have no problems. Each stone is .10. Nothing has scratched, broken, ripped, caught... never had a repair.

When I got married my finger was size 7.25. Thirty six years later is an 8. Leave room for expansion.

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you all for your feedback, and thank you PintoBean, your suggestion was really helpful. I may just start with a 5-7 stone and see how it goes, worst case I can always change it.

If I'm stuck in the middle choosing, and the eternity doesn't scream out at me more, I think it'll be 5 stone! Thank you so much, I'm excited! :wavey:

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have both 1/2 and full. I wear rings 24/7. I almost never take off my rings except to clean them. If I HAD to choose just one I'd choose full eternity - hands down (pun intended)! I don't like the ring shifting side to side. I do put in sizing beads and this helps the spinning a great deal. I will mention that my finger is slimmer at the very bottom - quite a bit smaller than my knuckle, so I'm a good candidate for spinning. I wore a 7 stone for 15+ years and had it made into a full eternity a few months ago - I'm MUCH happier. Wish I'd done it sooner. I've never had structural damage, but I'm not talking huge stones - the 7 stone/now eternity is made of 7 pointers. Do go up 1/2 a size (or a little more). I needed a size 4 eternity a little bigger and the jeweler shimmed the gold on the inside and now it fits. A sizing bar is a good idea, although I do not have any rings like that. I've seen some where the bar is engraved, and it's not so obvious the bar is face up. IDK. That might make me crazy. Bottom line- I love seeing consistent diamonds any which way you look at my hand. If the band is well made, probably 1/2 size up, and with not huge diamonds, I think you'll be safe and have years of enjoyment. Good luck.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
breanne|1475129871|4081916 said:
Thank you all for your feedback, and thank you PintoBean, your suggestion was really helpful. I may just start with a 5-7 stone and see how it goes, worst case I can always change it.

If I'm stuck in the middle choosing, and the eternity doesn't scream out at me more, I think it'll be 5 stone! Thank you so much, I'm excited! :wavey:

I wore a 5 stone (.83 ctw) for about 6 years before I lost it. I wear a size 6 3/4. It did not give me full finger coverage and I knew
if I ever replaced it (which I had no plan to do), I would go for a 7 stone. So after losing it I replaced it with a 1.4 ctw 7 stone which
gives me full finger coverage. The ending stones are right where my fingers come together so it sort of keeps it from turning
(although it does occasionally). I've been really happy with my 7 stone. I dont have the extra budget to spend on stones that go
on the plam side of my hand plus I just feel like they would get all gunky even though those with eternity bands say they dont.

If you go with a 5 stone I would go with stones big enough to give you full finger coverage.

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
I've always wanted a full eternity, I really love how they look. I'm now a bit concerned because I haven't seen too many that look good with my ER, and I'm also a fitness competitor so I wonder how much my fingers will fluctuate. I have a ring that I wore for almost 10 years prior to my recent engagement that I could still wear when I'm 20lbs lighter for competitions, so maybe the full eternity would be ok. I guess whether a full eternity or not, when I fluctuate in weight if it's going to be too big, a 5 stone would be as well I suppose.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
breanne|1475169520|4082030 said:
I've always wanted a full eternity, I really love how they look. I'm now a bit concerned because I haven't seen too many that look good with my ER, and I'm also a fitness competitor so I wonder how much my fingers will fluctuate. I have a ring that I wore for almost 10 years prior to my recent engagement that I could still wear when I'm 20lbs lighter for competitions, so maybe the full eternity would be ok. I guess whether a full eternity or not, when I fluctuate in weight if it's going to be too big, a 5 stone would be as well I suppose.
Yes, but a 5-stone is readily resizeable... this coming from a gal who started at a 7.75 in 2009 and is now a 9.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium

img_12820.jpg

ponder

Brilliant_Rock
I guess you are looking more at prong set eternities, but I love my channel set baguette eternity set in plat. It gets daily wear with no issues. wp_20160920_19_30_37_pro.jpg

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
It's such a tough decision, I'm really not sure how to make it. Unfortunately my ER is already 3mm+ so I feel adding a channel set option is too much metal for me personally. I like the idea of the eternity having room for sizing, that's something I'll keep in mind should I go that route. Maybe I'll narrow down my favourite eternity and favourite 5-7 stone and take photos, see which one I favour for the next while.

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
This is a 5 pointer I believe. It was too big in finger size, and also I didn't want to push them too close to prevent scratching. It's pretty, and was my favourite for a while until I saw the 5 stone 10 pointer. I've yet to see anything I absolutely loved.

img_12821.jpg

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
Oh my gosh. :love: The whole set is to die for. Is there a specific name for a wedding band with pears on the ends? Assuming those are pears :love: :love: :love:

Edit ** Oh maybe marquise?

_1464.png

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
If I didn't "fall into" the eternity I have for such a fantastic deal, I would never own one--half or 2/3 only for me. Not only for resizing reasons (you can't resize an eternity band--or easily/safely more than a shavings worth) but because I find them impractical as hell. You just cannot use your hand safely with one of those.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had a 1/2 eternity and hated how it would spin throughout the day with the metal on top. I changed to a full eternity and couldn't be happier. I don't have to worry about prongs because it's bezeled... best of both worlds.

quickjewelryrepairs

Rough_Rock
I would personally go with the 5 stone band ring just because it's safer and I prefer that. Although I love eternity bands, I just don't like the fact that you can not size them. If the band is a tad bit big then you are kind of suck to wear that everyday. That is one of the main reasons why I would choose the 5 stone over the eternity band.

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
I love eternities as I've mentioned, but being open to 5 stones has shown some beautiful options. I posted this photo above, I believe the wedding band has pears or marquise at the ends? I've been trying to search for this paired with a solitaire, is there a name for it that would make it easier to search for.
:love: :love:

I love the idea of it, perhaps not rounded, hard to visualize, but it's gorgeous.

img_3330.png

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a full eternity RHR and a 9-stone wedding band. I hardly ever wear the full eternity to be honest. I feel like it's cumbersome and gets dirty so easily (from cooking/dishes/using solid soap). It's gorgeous but not as carefree as my 9-stone

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results