shape
carat
color
clarity

Eternity band as engagement ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pinkie621

Rough_Rock
Do people do this? How common is it? The idea of the flushness appeals to me, but as a diamond lover I might feel like I''m missing out on the rock. Pics or stories, anyone?

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
What do you mean by "flushness?" Are you talking chanel set?
I wore my eternity for a while solo, but felt like it looked like I was "half way there," like I was not married--I dunno, hard to explain. I missed the rock. So I wear both now- actually my wedding set and the eternity band. But, I''ve been married an eternity (no pun intended), so I accumulated over time.

pinkie621

Rough_Rock
by flushness I mean no rock sticking up, as in eternity ring INSTEAD of e-ring, and a traditional plain wedding band (or any w band).

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I have a sapphire and diamond eternity as a placeholder while my e-ring is being made (FI proposed without the ring) and I find people aren''t quite sure if you are engaged or just wearing a ring on that finger.

A friend of mine had a half eternity as an e-ring and is regretting it for that reason. I also feel guilty as I have got the same as her in a way but just in the meantime. I do love my ring but it feels a bit too everydayish which an e-ring shouldn''t.

But, there are other people on PS that have eternity e-rings and love them. Depends on you at the end of the day.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
My original engagement ring was a half eternity band. I wear gloves at work and wanted something non-protruding. However, a few months later I decided I really did want a traditional engagement ring, so we ended up getting me one and the band became my wedding band.

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2007 1:23:22 PM
Author: pinkie621
by flushness I mean no rock sticking up, as in eternity ring INSTEAD of e-ring, and a traditional plain wedding band (or any w band).
Actually, I think it would be a very sophisticated look. I have a plain sort of band I used to wear on occasion with the eternity band and they looked very nice together. Like "I''ve arrived and I dont'' need to conform" kind of thing. The fact that you are asking about it makes me wonder if in the back of your mind you won''t miss a solitaire. When you look at the eye candy thread in "show me the ring"- what looks appeal to you?

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
I agree with Julia that it is a sophisticated look that I personally find very appealing. My main issue with eternity bands is that they often seem kind of narrow to wear alone, but when paired with a wedding band it would give a more substantial appearance. To me it says that you make your own rules and don''t follow the conventional crowd.

BunniBling

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/28/2007 11:26:12 AM
Author:pinkie621
Do people do this? How common is it? The idea of the flushness appeals to me, but as a diamond lover I might feel like I''m missing out on the rock. Pics or stories, anyone?
pinkie:

I''m considering the same thing; posted a carat weight question today. I feel that as long as I''m comfortable with the look and the way it makes me feel, tradition be damned.
9.gif
Besides, I tend to like being a little different. My advice is to go out a try a few rings on, see if they look "engage-y" enough for you. Personally, I love the idea.

Good luck!

-J

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
Well, just out of the celebrities I know of, Marylin Monroe, Audrey Hepburn, and Jennifer Garner all have eternity diamond e-rings. I think it is a very CLASSY e-ring.

Dory

Rough_Rock
I love the idea of an eternity ring alone or with a wedding band. Sounds very classy! I know a lady who wears a very nice 5-stone diamond as her wedding ring alone. It sparkles like crazy and looks great on her!!! If you miss the "rock" look, you could always get one later and still wear your eternity band. I love their versitility!!!!

DBM

Shiny_Rock
Do people do this? How common is it? The idea of the flushness appeals to me, but as a diamond lover I might feel like I'm missing out on the rock. Pics or stories, anyone?
pardon me if the question is too intrusive but how significant of an eternity band will you be getting? will it be an average eternity band or something "all-out"?

BunniBling

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/13/2007 1:03:19 AM
Author: DBM

pardon me if the question is too intrusive but how significant of an eternity band will you be getting? will it be an average eternity band or something ''all-out''?
DBM:

I second the question; in fact, asked it of myself when deciding to go the "eternity as e-ring" route. I agree that (for me, at least), the eternity has to be substantial and eye-catching enough to stand alone. Here''s a thought though: For those that perhaps would have chosen a delicate solitaire style, a thin eternity w/ tons of little sparklies may be just perfect. You have to think about the overall look that you''re going for. I think personality plays a big part...just my .015.
1.gif

-J

jamocha

Rough_Rock
I think it sounds like a very sophisticated look also. I''ve been kicking the eternity band as an engagement ring idea around as well. Don''t think I could get the bf to go for it though. But if you love it, go for it. Does anyone have any pictures of an eternity band plus wedding band with no "traditional" engagement ring?

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
I'm all in favor of doing what suits the individual, but are you at all concerned that an eternity band will look like a wedding band? I have a 5 stone wedding band, with 20 pointers each, and it doesn't look like an e-ring to me. When I wear it by itself, it still looks like a wedding band. Maybe if each of the stones were larger? Just my .02
1.gif

misskiss

Rough_Rock
I love love love the idea of an eternity or semi-eternity ring as an engagement ring. It''s such a unique look. And if you''ve tried one on, you know that a five-stone or seven-stone band gives off so much more sparkle than a single diamond ever could.

I found a five-stone setting that I''m going to have custom designed with 40 pointers, F-G, VS2 for around $5000. The way I figure, if you''re going to forego the solitaire, might as well go for quality. And you could never find a solitaire of that quality for that price.

Why have one diamond when you can have five?
1.gif

Good luck!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love eternity rings, but I think they are more appropriate for the wedding band. I think they are fine as stand-alone wedding bands or with little bands on either side, but I don''t think anyone looking at one on someone''s hand would ever think of it as an e-ring. That said, people can do what pleases them the most and not care that other people won''t know it is an e-ring.

MiniMouse

Brilliant_Rock
Pinkie, when my husband and I were looking for my engagement ring stone, we were shocked at how much it was going to cost. I suggested to my husband that we could get a really nice eternity band (with .15 diamonds or something just as blingy) and use that as an engagement ring instead. He wouldn''t go for it, he didn''t feel it was right for an engagement ring (he''s traditional), however, I would have been fine with it. If you like the idea and your boyfriend is okay with it, I say go for it, it will look gorgeous and very practical.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know a woman who got married for the second time to a very wealthy man, and her ring was a gorgeous emerald cut eternity band and that was it. She could have had anything she wanted but she wanted to have the band as her ring...I guess there is really no right or wrong in it, whatever makes you both happy...that''s what it should be!

tulip928

Brilliant_Rock
I was just looking a a bargain book at Barnes and Noble about wedding jewelry. Did you know Audrey Hepburn''s engagement ring in 1953 was a channel set baguette eternity band? She had two wedding rings which were a gold and a rose gold band, so she could coordinate her ring to whatever she was wearing.
34.gif

misskiss

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/31/2007 11:39:29 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
I love eternity rings, but I think they are more appropriate for the wedding band. I think they are fine as stand-alone wedding bands or with little bands on either side, but I don''t think anyone looking at one on someone''s hand would ever think of it as an e-ring. That said, people can do what pleases them the most and not care that other people won''t know it is an e-ring.

I agree they don''t look like traditional e rings, which I guess is part of the appeal for me. But does it really matter if strangers think you''re married versus engaged to be married? Your engagement is such a short period of time compared to a lifetime of marriage.

I''m going to wear the diamond band alone during our engagement, and get a 3 mm plain band to wear with it once we''re married. I''ve also seen people flank their diamond bands with 2mm or smaller plain bands on either side and it''s a nice look - makes all three rings look like one.

The nice thing about bands is their versatility - you can mix and match!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I got my half eternity band about 18 years ago as an anniversary ring. That was how they were being marketed then. Wedding bands tended to be much simpler, either plain or with a few tiny diamonds. Then eternity rings started being used as much fancier wedding bands. I think it makes a lot of sense to use them as an engagement ring as well. It is a very practical and very beautiful style, and I think it will continue to be popular for many years. I do think you will find confusion among people because this style of ring can mean any number of things. The classic diamond solitaire ring, worn on the 4th finger of the left hand, is what clearly says "I''m engaged". But engagement gifts can take many forms, and you may wear any kind of ring that you want as an engagement ring.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it''s a great idea as long as you''re content and happy with just the band. many women wear them alone as a wedding band and I think it''s a gorgeous look and I want one too...

Kohinoor

Rough_Rock
I love the idea...it also leaves you with plenty of time and savings in case you do decide on a rock later on.

I really wish I''d done that instead of changing my mind several times about shape, size, etc. The eternity is a wonderful choice!

DMBsGirl

Brilliant_Rock
i personally think this is a great style. jennifer garner''s set came to mind and i love the way her rings look.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results