shape
carat
color
clarity

Eternities: Show me full & half & why you LOVE it!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As some of you will know from my RT thread, my full princess cut eternity has distorted yet again, for the 4th time in just under 4 years. Previously my fab local Jeweller has sorted it out, but this time the original vendor has sent a courier to collect it this morning, and it will be sent to the London Assay Office for independent inspection & review.

So. This will be sorted one way or another. In the meantime, can you show me your full & half eternity rings with comments on negative & positives for each? Besides bring a visual fest, I'd like to know opinions in case I have to start again. Would I be suited more to a half? Or is mine just structurally bad & need a re-mount?

Let me feast my eyes!

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My fiance and I tried on both styles and she preferred the half eternity. She said it was more comfortable than the full. Since I've been married before and had a full eternity, and of course because I want her to be happy, we went with the half (we have matching e-rings, so we wanted matching wedding rings-- we are a lesbian couple).

Anyway, we had them made to replicate Tiffany's 9-diamond shared-prong ring (which were $3700 each at T&C). These are in platinum, .27ctw (3 pointers), F/G, eye-clean SI1, ideal cut, $900 each. How's that for a pro?

The only negative I can think of is that the way the diamonds are set into the curve, there is a bit of a "square" effect. As if the top of the ring is square-- hard to explain. It's not as noticeable on my ring (size 4.5), but I can tell on my fiance's ring (size 6.5). I don't think you can see it in the photos though. So, it's not a perfect T&C replica, but close enough. On to the pics!

solo2.jpg
solo.jpg
profile_5.jpg
side_profile_1.jpg
profile2_1.jpg
top_down.jpg

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh crikey, I LOVE this!! :love: And thank you ever so much for the honest opinions too.

I have had comfort issues with my own, as its pretty spikey & sits high off the finger. Unless its cushioned between wedding & engagement, it feels very noticeable.

I am hoping they offer to reset it. They don't offer my setting anymore (hmmm... I wonder why??) And the replacements are lower in profile & more sturdy looking. I have been beginning to think that a half may work more for me, as much as I adore the full beyond belief. Everything about the full attracts me, so to have mine bend repeatedly has been tough :((

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just thought of another negative. Since it is only 9 diamonds, and my finger can change size depending on hot/cold/bloat, when my finger is at it's thinnest the ring can spin. It drives me nuts not to have it lined up perfectly. With a full eternity you'd never have to worry about that ;-)

Yeah, I'd be pretty bummed if my ring was getting bent. I think in your situation I'd get another full eternity (because all those diamonds-- YUM), but perhaps a less delicate/lower-profile design.

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock
I definitely see the appeal and practicality of 3/4 or even half eternities, but I have always loved the simplicity of a full.
I remember actually discussing the implication of a "partial" eternity in my youth - explaining to my somewhat patient spouse that we wanted the full eternity since this is forever....I was very literal with my wedding jewelry back then. Now I just love the bands and wear different ones to suit my mood & activities. (I have trouble being comfortable with solitaires, so I often just wear bands.)
Here are a couple favorites :

dsc_197.jpg

dsc_198.jpg

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
Whoa Harpertoo!!! Gorgeous stuff you got goin there :love:

OP I have three bands. Five stone EC which I wear with my solitaire, but it's substantial enough to wear alone.
Five stone MRB which I wear either as a RHR or in place of my wedding set, but never stack.
3/4 channel set baguette eternity which I wear as more of a dress down ring. I have also stacked it with my ec band on occasion.

Neither of the five stone bands spin & are very comfortable. The bag band is comfortable as well. I love them all :naughty:

GearGirly

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm wearing a five stone because of comfort, and I do love it. I really would love a full eternity but I think it would irritate my fingers!

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Full eternity is still comfortable if the stones are small. So you need to try on different pointer stones to assess your comfort level. And just 5 minutes in a store really isn't enough time to assess comfort. You might want to buy some costume to play around before getting the real deal.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone. My princess stones are fairly small, so now that a reset is on the cards I shall be looking into a lower, more comfy (but obviously strong :oops: ) setting. Having done lots of reading, I think a sturdy channel set is the strongest out there. However, I am not personally a huge fan & really love the open look. So I have an appointment with my fab & magical Jeweller next week to try styles on & discuss designs.

A very sad situation has become a bit exciting! I get to keep my beautiful diamonds & do something new with them :appl:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I do love the half eternities, because they are so comfy, but I saw a bunch of GIANT eternities at IDJ that were very tempting. :love: :love:

Love all the rings here, though, and I can appreciate both sides.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I dont really have a true eternity ring, however it is something that is on my bling wishlist.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results