shape
carat
color
clarity

Estate vs Vintage vs Antique

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What are the definitions of these terms in terms of years/age?

I''ve notice that may "estate" pieces are often sold at less than retail price, but "antique/vintage" sometimes cost as much if not more than what it would cost to get it reproduced.

I was just wondering at what point a piece of jewelery makes that transition, lol. I''m currently considering an eternity band from the 1920s that is "antique", and while I do love jewelery with history, I also like custom made shiny things...

clsuppinky.jpg

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
I don''t know the answer to your questions, but would love to hear it too! I have became pretty fascinated by the older jewelries, I love that band that you are buying!

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Estate simply means it belonged to someone else. So......used. lol When I think vintage I think over 20years.....antique I think 1940 and earlier. I am sure there are some people who know the specifics. Until the price of gold went up it seemed antique and vintage pieces were well priced on the secondary market. Then the recession hit and the prices increased. Go figure. But with all that said I really fear that vintage and antique jewelry will be harder to find as many people sell it at those cash for gold places. Shudders!

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
I often wonder if people can be superstitious about wearing "estate pieces".

Do you feel there may be "undesirable power" associated with wearing someone else''s jewels?

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Antique is only reserved for pieces over 100 years old.
vintage is a term used for a piece that is over 30 years old and meant to denote that the piece is quality and collectible because of that quality or rarity(people would want a vintage Rolex or Tiffany solitaire or even a Hermes leather bag no matter what its age because the style doesn''t change and its known for its quality and will wear for years.
estate is a kind way of saying its pre-owned(comes from the art,jewelry and furniture sold at estate sales of the wealthy to pay taxes on the property after the owners death)

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, what jewelerman said. Antique is actually supposed to be quite specific, and in fact it's used, for example, in customs laws if something is a genuine antique it makes a difference on whether one might pay duty or not. For example I've had people from Canada buying at our antique store in the US ask me to make sure to write "antique" on the receipt if something is 100 years or older, because they have to pay less when they declare it at the border. And yeah, it's misused all the time. Sometimes by me, lol.

Estate is supposed to mean what it sounds like- acquired at an estate sale, i.e., someone passed away and their family sold their belongings. Not always used that way of course. I guess it sounds better than "used".

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/13/2010 2:09:07 AM
Author: LittleGreyKitten
Yeah, what jewelerman said. Antique is actually supposed to be quite specific, and in fact it''s used, for example, in customs laws if something is a genuine antique it makes a difference on whether one might pay duty or not. For example I''ve had people from Canada buying at our antique store in the US ask me to make sure to write ''antique'' on the receipt if something is 100 years or older, because they have to pay less when they declare it at the border. And yeah, it''s misused all the time. Sometimes by me, lol.

Estate is supposed to mean what it sounds like- acquired at an estate sale, i.e., someone passed away and their family sold their belongings. Not always used that way of course. I guess it sounds better than ''used''.

I would never have known this- how interesting
1.gif

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
In the UK we just say second-hand...

Antique is over 100 years, and vintage is whatever you like!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Jewelerman for the info. Very informative!

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
you are welcome.Good Question!

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
Technically vintage and antique are all estate pieces, wouldn''t you agree?

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/13/2010 6:52:00 PM
Author: zhuzhu
Technically vintage and antique are all estate pieces, wouldn''t you agree?
9.gif
true...but with one exception!ive got vintage jewelry that I bought new over 30 years ago and still own and wear today!
31.gif

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
I often wondered what the difference was too. Beautiful ring too.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results