shape
carat
color
clarity

Estate Ring no Certificate

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Billbo

Rough_Rock
I am looking at a couple of 1930's style rings.

The first is a true estate ring from 1920's with a round cut F/G VS1 .98 "mine-cut" stone (high table). Platinum ring with lots of filigree.

The second is a square cut (? looks like an emarld with square corners) F VVS2 1.07. Also a reproduced platinum ring.

Any idea on what these should cost? Any suggestions on how to decide?
Thanks
Bill

Greentree

Rough_Rock
Buying a (expensive) diamond is kind of like buying a horse. You'll have him vetted before committing. So find a good independent appraiser and have this stuff vetted so you don't end up with a big (and unwelcome) surprise. If the amount of money involved is small maybe you can trust your own judgement.

Billbo

Rough_Rock
Thanks for responding.

The amount is $6500 (It's big to me, but I don't know if that is considered small).

Do you have suggestions on how to get the ring appraised? Do you take it from the shop? Bring an appraiser with you?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
You can have the jewelry store send the ring to an independent appraiser, with your purchase contingent upon their findings. You will probably have to pay shipping and insurance on the ring as it travels, and the appraiser fees (unless you work this out with the jeweler). Then if it checks out, you purchase the ring.

Or you can purchase the ring, make sure the return policy is satisfactory, and take it to an appraiser yourself..paying their fees etc. Keep the ring if it checks out, return it if it doesn't.

Also just as a side note, we were considering a beautiful 1930's 1.30 old european cut J/VS1 set in a gorgeous replica of a 1920's setting with about .20ctw on the setting, and the price was around $7000. For a 1.0 mine cut..sounds like $6500 might be a little pricey?

If you want to compare some pricing, check out pricescope's own diamond finder on the landing page, select 'old miner' as the cut to see the comparisons. Also, www.diamondwholesale.cc has a diamond finder tool that offers old miner and other cut stones as well so look there too. If you find a stone similar to yours for cheaper, and have your heart set on one of these stones, you can use the information gleaned from the sites and pricing to leverage a discount for yourself in a B&M store.

Good luck! :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results