shape
carat
color
clarity

Estate jewelry in NYC - where???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Bimbi

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone,

I have been trying to find a jewelry store that has a good selection of estate and pre-owned diamond rings since my budget is limited. Any ideas in the NYC/CT area. I am looking for something in the 5k price range

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You could contact Jon at www.goodoldgold.com to see what he can come up with, he is in Long Island.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Bimbi,

Are you in CT? Peter Suchy's shop is in Stamford (not far from the city). I was just there last Saturday, and he does have a lot of inventory. A woman there was looking at an engagement ring that was actually had a white sapphire! It was beautiful. Since I already have my engagement and wedding rings (both from Peter's), I didn't spend too much time looking at the engagement rings.

When we got my engagement ring, I e-mailed Peter to tell him what I had in mind first and he prepared a tray of rings just for me to look at. I had searched far and wide for a setting. After spending about an hour and a half talking to Peter, we decided on my setting and stone. If you think you might go there, I would highly recommend that you e-mail him first. I am sure they can help you find a great ring!

http://myworld.ebay.com/petersuchyjewelers1137/

I always e-mail him through eBay. If you look at his eBay listings, don't worry, there's a lot more to choose from in the shop.

Good Luck and please keep us posted on how things turn out!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
There are a number of shops on 47th St between 5th & 6th (Diamond District) that sell antiques. Make sure you check out the large storefront markets that house a bunch of booths--but be careful, because they''re very pushy.

There''s a shop on Greenwich Avenue (NOT Greenwich Street) between 6th & 7th aves. I can''t remember whether it''s the one on the north or the south side of the st. that sells old things.

There are several shops on Madison in the 60s & 70s. Not cheap, but some beautful things.

There''s one on Columbus in the mid 70s that has lovely, lovely rings. I don''t know how their prices are. West side of the street. It''s the shop that also sells hats.

There either is or used to be Doyle''s on Orchard St (????) or thereabouts.

There either are or used to be a couple on University, west side of st. a little above 8th st.

I''m sorry I don''t remember the names or addresses or even exact cross streets of any of them. I notice them when I pass them, but I never remember details. I should start keeping a list! And I can''t vouch for the prices.

Bimbi

Rough_Rock
I live in Stamford, this is great, I will definitely check him out. I looked at his e-bay items, there are some "european cut" diamons. What is a european cut. Can someone provide more details and differences from a regular round cut.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That great that you're in Stamford -- a great estate jeweler is right nearby! Who knew, right? I didn't know either, until I found him on eBay!

An Old European Cut or OEC is the precursor to the modern round brilliant cut. The facets are noticably chunkier and often in flower or checkerboard patterns. Actually, the checkerboard pattern is usally a Transitional Cut, which are old cut stones after OECs and before round brilliants.

I have an OEC in my engagement ring and picked up a little OEC for a pendant that Peter is having set for me.

If you search OEC or Old European Cut on here, you will find better explanations and lots of pictures!! Also, check out the Old Cut Lovers thread at the top of this page.

Bimbi

Rough_Rock
Thanks, I will definitely email him and see him as soon as possible. Does he do custom settings as well. There is a setting that I have fallen in love with that I am trying to get quotes on.

Do you know what kind of price I can expect for a 1-1.5 ct round antique. I am trying to compare it to a 1ct nearly colorless, SI clariy ideal cut. From what I''ve seen 1cts with ideal cut, better color, and mid clarity got for about 5k. Is getting an antique going to save me a good amount of money.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think you will see dramatic savings going to an OEC. http://www.oldworlddiamonds.com has a large inventory of OEC stones. A .97 H SI1 is listed for $4,032.

I think he will do custom settings, but I don't know how well the pricing will work out, especially since they specialize in vintage stuff. I know he has designed some settings of his own.

So, I'd still recommend going there, even if it's just to stop in, since you're local. I'm about an hour away, that's why it's always helped me to e-mail in advance. I saw you mentioned in your other thread that it's the uniqueness of the setting that is most important to you. That's one of the reasons why I love my vintage setting. That and I really love the design, that it was handmade and the super-light feeling of the ring when I am wearing it. You might fall in love with one of the settings he has there, or you might not! It's worth checking out though. I do wish I had taken a closer look at that white sapphire so I could tell you more about it! The woman was putting it on her finger, and I didn't want to intrude, well, I did want to, but I didn't!
5.gif

Bimbi

Rough_Rock
Thank you. I just looked at a pic of your ring and it''s GORGEOUS. I love it. It would be a shame to change a beautiful setting like this one. I do hope that I fall in love with a setting as I am a very visual person and I fear that I might get disappointed if I order a custom setting and it doesnt look like what I am imigining.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, thank you for the compliment on my ring! Let us know how your search is going, and definitely talk to Peter about potentially setting a colored stone in one of his settings!

Looking for the right ring is sometimes a longer journey than you might have anticipated, but when you find it, you''ll know.
35.gif

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
In NYC try M. Khordipour link You can search this site for raves on their stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results