shape
carat
color
clarity

Essie Nail Polish Colors?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/16/2006 11:27:32 AM
Author: Mara
I love both Madem and PGS.

DS If you check out my 2.32 J stone thread, the latest batch of photos I posted this week, the handshot has me with either 3 or 4 coats of PGS. So you can get an idea. It''s super sheer so the more you add the more pink it looks but it''s still sheer. Madem is more like an opaque pink but it''s still very soft.

If anyone is ever going to buy or own just ONE pink for sheer alone coverage or french or whatever, I would get Mademoiselle. It seems like that is the one color that almost everyone I know has!
I took a look and I loved the color, Mara! Of course, I''d rather not have to do 3 coats! So maybe the Madem. would be better? I might just buy both, though.

I am really the type that likes to find something great and wear it all the time! Lol! That way you don''t waste a lot of time deciding between multiple things! I get a manicure occasionally, but I do them a lot at home. Sometimes I just wear clear, but I''d love to have a better pink than I have now.

(I saw the pink dress thread too late, but I would have voted for the pink dress as well! You may as well look fabulous even though you''re not the bride!)

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
DS, Essie's Spaghetti Strap is a pretty light pink that is a little more opaque and can be worn alone very nicely with two coats.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, Sundial! I''ll put that one on my shopping list! PS is an alternative Consumer Reports! You can find out about anything before buying!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm looking to try Essie for the first time too. Can anyone show a picture of Mademoiselle on their hands? I only want to buy one pink, and Mademoiselle seems to be the most popular one.

ETA: Also, does this color fit with all skin tones? I have an olive skin tone.

Christa

Brilliant_Rock
I don't have a picture of Mademoiselle, but here's my Innocent. It's very close to what I was looking for--it's a little darker than it looks in this pic, and looks brownish is some lights and almost purple-y in others. The weird thing is that it looks slightly pearl-y in the bottle but not at all on my nails?!

Kim, Mademoiselle is a really sheer, slightly milky, light neutral pink that's great for French manicures. It's nowhere near as pink as it looks in the bottle.

ETA: That spot on my ring finger nail is just a reflection, by the way.

Innocentnails.jpg

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Very pretty Christa. I may have to try that one. I am a nail polish addict!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
kim...mademoiselle looks wonderful with my olve toned hands. i''m sure one of my hand shots posted previous had me wearing mademoiselle, and i used it almost exclusively for all my french manicures. but i don''t know that i could point to a hand shot and say THATS it. the sheer pinks are all kind of similar to me.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, Christa and Mara. I think I will try it! Love your nails, Christa--thanks for posting the pic. My skin tone doesn''t have that nice tan that yours has, Mara. It''s a light olive/yellowish tone, so the contrast between the polish and my skin won''t be as nice. But I''m hoping it will still work.

Giada

Shiny_Rock
Hi Christa,

I have lighter olive skin, too, and Mademoiselle looks great with my skin. I like the contrast between the yellow/green of my skin and the pink tone of the polish.

I''m actually wearing it now. I''ll try to snap a couple of photos tonight and post here for you!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just bought the essie mademoiselle, and I like it. Not nearly as pink as the bottle, as everyone says. It does seem to have a nice finish when it dries, so we''ll see if it''s worth the money. I was bummed that I paid quite a bit for it (nearly 7 bucks) at another beauty supply because the one near my house where I get a 20% discount doesn''t carry it. Not to mention their OPI polishes were nearly 2 bucks cheaper than at this one I bought the essie one at.

Christa

Brilliant_Rock
I have Scandinavian-blue-eyed-blonde skin (even though I'm not exactly blonde any more
20.gif
), and I think Mademoiselle looks great on me, too. I guess that's why it's so popular--it looks good on almost everyone.

Giada

Shiny_Rock
This is two coats of Mademoiselle:

Mademoisele 002.jpg

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
giada, you have gorgeous hands!!!!! I wish I had your long and slim fingers!

after reading this thread, dying of curiosity, i went to the beauty supply shop and found Essie! I''m an Essie virgin no longer...I bought Sugar Daddy (gorgeous, sheer pale pinkish tint). I also bought Intimate, a pretty pale white/pink shimmer. They didn''t have Mademoiselle though, so I''m gonna try to squeeze in time today before our flight to Los Angeles and find another beauty supply store that has it.
1.gif

You guys are a bad influence....before I read through this thread I didn''t own a SINGLE BOTTLE of nail polish!!! I *never* paint my fingernails (although I do get cheapo pedicures on a regular basis, hehe).

Giada

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/22/2006 11:45:00 AM
Author: KristyDarling
giada, you have gorgeous hands!!!!! I wish I had your long and slim fingers!

after reading this thread, dying of curiosity, i went to the beauty supply shop and found Essie! I''m an Essie virgin no longer...I bought Sugar Daddy (gorgeous, sheer pale pinkish tint). I also bought Intimate, a pretty pale white/pink shimmer. They didn''t have Mademoiselle though, so I''m gonna try to squeeze in time today before our flight to Los Angeles and find another beauty supply store that has it.
1.gif

You guys are a bad influence....before I read through this thread I didn''t own a SINGLE BOTTLE of nail polish!!! I *never* paint my fingernails (although I do get cheapo pedicures on a regular basis, hehe).
Thank you, KD! I appreciate the compliment very much.

Sugar Daddy is another good one! What''s nice about Essie is that it stays on ALL week, so I only have to paint my nails once/week. I think it also helps that I wear dishgloves when doing the dishes or using any cleaning products.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
my nails always chip and crack about 3-4 days after painting. nothing is like that crisp fresh coat....i tend to repaint every 3-4 days or when there is an event going on (aka i would never go see the PS GTG BayArea gals with knarly nails! hahaa)...and i get a manicure once a month so that an expert can make them shine!

haven''t heard of sugar daddy before or if i have i haven''t seen it. next time i am in willow glen i will have to hit up the beauty supply store there and see what other colors they have going on!!

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
well jeez!!! I just called the 5 beauty supply stores nearest me and ALL of them are sold out of Mademoiselle! Guess I''ll have to order online!

kasmom

Rough_Rock
Hi Giada,

I bought bubble bath and allure over the weekend per your reccommendations and loving it, thanks!

I also got like 10 other colors from Essie and OPI but 2 that really stand out to me is Essie''s It''s in the bag (more pink) and Adore-a-ball (more white) both light milky pink. They are creme not sheer and 2 coats is enough and look exquisite!

I''m also looking for darker colors to wear for fall''s. I got OPI''s A decade of shades (dark brown) and Oh...To be 25 again (dark brown red) haven''t tried those yet. I think the trend for this fall is black polish but I don''t think I will wear it. Anyone have suggestions for a great dark color?

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK, since local retailers ran out of most of the colors I want, I went crazy on enailsupply.com (they DO have the best prices!) and bought: Pink Glove Service, Mademoiselle, Marshmallow, and Real Simple. I also ordered Essie''s fast drying top coat. I didn''t order a base coat, though....do I really need that?

Christa

Brilliant_Rock
I think a base coat makes my polish last longer. I do base coat, two or three coats of color, and top coat, and it still looks decent a week later. When I do the top coat I run the brush along the edge (tip) of the nail first, then do the whole nail--helps cut down on chips, I think. I also refresh the top coat every other day or so, and always wear gloves for anything like dishes or yardwork.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for posting the pic, Giada! The color looks great, and you have beautiful hands!

I just ordered a bottle on eBay, so it should get here next week. Can''t wait to try it! It''s great to get direct input like this on the different colors, because on screen, they all look so similar.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
So I just tried Prima Ballerina and love it. Some of the other colors looked so pink in the bottle. Essie goes on so smooth! I am very impressed. I also bought Wicked for my toes but haven''t tried it yet.

Christa

Brilliant_Rock
I just got done doing Spritzer on my hands (I had it on my toes before) and I really like it. For me, this is a dark color--I don''t think I''m ready for Wicked.
5.gif
Spritzer is brownish with just a slight iridescence. I tried to take pictures, but my hands looked stubby and old, and I couldn''t get the color to show accurately anyway. It looks great IRL, though!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/23/2006 4:10:58 PM
Author: Christa
I just got done doing Spritzer on my hands (I had it on my toes before) and I really like it. For me, this is a dark color--I don''t think I''m ready for Wicked.
5.gif
Spritzer is brownish with just a slight iridescence. I tried to take pictures, but my hands looked stubby and old, and I couldn''t get the color to show accurately anyway. It looks great IRL, though!

Wicked is VERY dark but I perfer medium-dark shades on my toes. Light on my hands. I used to have a friend that would give me a hard time for not matching but I hate light colors on my toes
14.gif
and dark on my finger nails is higher maintence (shows chips easier) plus I think it looks better on short nails and mine are usually always long. My only complant is I did get a few more bumps than with OPI but I used a different base coat so that could be why.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dark is the new look for fall and OPI has a gorgeous deep cherry color. I will likely do it on the toes only. I also did one coat of Essie spaghetti strap with one coat of Essie vanity fairest on top and it is pretty...got Lippman''s prelude to a kiss and will try that this week...

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Any color will look deeper in the bottle since there is more product concentrated together. It will look different on the nail. Base coat is very important for the polish to adhere properly. I get a mani once a week at least and a pedi usually twice a month. My hands get beaten up and I am always breaking a nail it seems. I am bad about wearing gloves and really need to get into the habit. Keeping my nails a bit shorter than I normally would and making sure the shape is a bit squared off has helped...

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The bottle of Mademoiselle that I ordered came in yesterday, so I tried it last night. I looove it. I thought it wouldn''t be all too different from clear polish, but it''s so much better. I also had my doubts because my hands aren''t as nice and slender as many others'' here, but the polish makes mine look great. This is the best color I''ve ever put on my nails.

This makes PS-enabled purchase #2... lol.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/22/2006 1:38:53 PM
Author: kasmom
Hi Giada,

I bought bubble bath and allure over the weekend per your reccommendations and loving it, thanks!

I also got like 10 other colors from Essie and OPI but 2 that really stand out to me is Essie''s It''s in the bag (more pink) and Adore-a-ball (more white) both light milky pink. They are creme not sheer and 2 coats is enough and look exquisite!

I''m also looking for darker colors to wear for fall''s. I got OPI''s A decade of shades (dark brown) and Oh...To be 25 again (dark brown red) haven''t tried those yet. I think the trend for this fall is black polish but I don''t think I will wear it. Anyone have suggestions for a great dark color?
Kasmom-

Wicked by Essie is a great color for fall- its very dark though- have to be ready for it- but it looks so nice on!!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
in the Fave Nail Polishes thread over in FHH...there is a huge discussion on fall polish colors. I bought a bunch of them from an online nail store and it just arrived this week. I have Wicked on right now and I love it! It''s like the darkest burgundy red ever known to man and does appear brownish black really but you can see it''s a super super dark red. It''s fun and different. I will take a picture later today to post in the other thread.

I also got Clutch me if you Can from Essie which is like a super dark purply black it looks like, and Lady Godiva which is a dark chocolate brown creme from Essie. Then from OPI I got Espresso Your Style which is a dark brown chocolate polish with a tiny bit of shimmer. Christa has it on now but I don''t think she has posted pictures.

nejarb

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/7/2006 12:12:57 AM
Author: wallermama
Other than my standard fav Mademoiselle, I am really loving Essie''s ''Real Simple'' (as in the magazine). It''s a bit more coverage but not by much. I like those sheer/opaque hybrids that are more forgiving of streakiness by a certain sloppy polisher I know
20.gif

I ordered from enailsupply.com

I wasn''t thrilled with ''to dry for'' topcoat. Wasn''t a super fast dry, for me.

Hi Wallermama,

How was your experience with enailsupply?

cutes814

Brilliant_Rock
nejarb,

I don''t have any experience with enailsupply, but I just finished ordering from head2toebeauty.com and their prices are great! Essie sells for $3.19 and OPI for $4.29 when they usually retail for what $7-8 in beauty supply stores? Even with shipping added on, the average is $4 per bottle. Such a great deal!
36.gif

Some of the other ladies have been ordering through 8ty8beauty.com also.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results