shape
carat
color
clarity

ER band missing gold stamp - issue or non?

mk2007

Rough_Rock
Per the title, the engagement ring I had made was mistakenly shipped without the band being stamped to signify it's 18K WG. Do you think it's worth going through the hassle of overnighting it and having it stamped, or am I ok without it?

Thanks in advance!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
will the vendor pay for the shipping? if so, I would do it. I checked your other thread and you haven't proposed already...so makes sense to fix it now.

mk2007

Rough_Rock
I did inquire and they said they'd organize everything if I choose to send it back. Right now it's with the appraiser (I'm picking it up tomorrow on my lunch). If the vendor provides a label, I'm assuming I'd be covered under their insurance...? I'll be applying for my own insurance this week, so perhaps I'll wait until that policy is effective too.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
mk2007|1306194380|2928644 said:
I did inquire and they said they'd organize everything if I choose to send it back. Right now it's with the appraiser (I'm picking it up tomorrow on my lunch). If the vendor provides a label, I'm assuming I'd be covered under their insurance...? I'll be applying for my own insurance this week, so perhaps I'll wait until that policy is effective too.

yes I believe if the vendor supplies the shipping label you are covered.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would want it stamped so there was no confusion in the future if it needed resizing.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
nah... I wouldn't bother. If you ever have the ring sized there's a good chance of losing that stamp again - and noone takes the stamp as final word when working on your piece, buying/selling anyway - they will either ask you before doing work or testing for composition before accepting for sale.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yssie|1306205555|2928804 said:
nah... I wouldn't bother. If you ever have the ring sized there's a good chance of losing that stamp again - and noone takes the stamp as final word when working on your piece, buying/selling anyway - they will either ask you before doing work or testing for composition before accepting for sale.

Ditto. The appraiser will indicte what kt. the gold is, or should, so you are covered for insurance anyways.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AprilBaby|1306198239|2928692 said:
I would want it stamped so there was no confusion in the future if it needed resizing.

Me too. And I've had rings sized several times and the stamp is still there. It's just a "mind clean" issue for me; I want the stamp. :rodent:

mk2007

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone - thanks for all the comments.

The ring was appraised with no issue by a local C.G.A (American Gem Society) who is well respected in the industry. She said that although it is odd to not have the stamp on the band, in the grand scheme of things it's really not a big deal. For me it was really the dreaded "mind clean" issue, but I've since taken a few steps back and am comfortable without it. If it bugs my GF then I'll have it stamped :)

Trigon

Rough_Rock
Hi, I'm just curious why you had to leave the ring with the appraiser? Is this commonplace? I thought most people here prefer to have the appraisal done while they watch?

mk2007

Rough_Rock
I left it with the appraiser because I can't get away from the office for a good amount of time, and typically by the time I'm leaving every night their shop is closed. It was just a lot easier for me to drop it off and pick it up on my lunch. I would have done it on a Saturday but I'll be traveling the next few weekends, so I was limited to a few options. In addition to calling me a few times during her actual appraisal to ask a few questions, she also gave me a thorough run down when I picked it up. I was 100% comfortable with this because she's highly reputable and very well regarded within the industry.

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
It's a mind-clean pet peeve of mine when appraising a new ring without a stamp...so you're not alone.
But really, it's not a huge deal, so no worries.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results