shape
carat
color
clarity

Enhanced = Fracture Filled Diamond Lesson

kaina123

Rough_Rock
Hello. When I did a google search for Fracture Filled Diamonds this forum popped up. My fiance in his haste and excitement to buy a diamond ring- bought a ring from an online jewelry store called MA Jewelry Designs that had some great deals. As an uneducated consumer- the website notes the clarity of the center stone on the ring he bought is VS2 enhanced. He didn't realize that Enhanced was a sniffy way to get around disclosing that the diamond is fracture filled. The store also sent a bogus appraisal with the ring saying the center stone was 1.25 carats, 3.0 total carat weight with side diamonds, Clarity of VS2 for center stone and a total appraisal worth of $22,000. That appraisal also noted Enhanced Clarity. We always thought the dollar amount was ridiculous as the ring cost $4500. I guess my fiance was under the assumption the ring cost less because the diamonds were wholesale from the New York Diamond District.

He presented the ring to me last October. After wearing the ring for 10 months- the center stone was very loose and we took it to get the stone tightened. At that time we decided to get a third party appraisal. Imagine our surprise when they told us the center stone was fracture filled and was only .90 carats not the 1.25 we were told it was. Also the appraisal said the side stones were .98 total carats not the 1.75 total carat weight we were told. The ring was still appraised more than what my fiance bought it for. But we were really disappointed finding out the diamond was fracture filled. We didn't even know what that meant. The new appraisal had the words "Fracture Filled" all over it. We contacted the store with concerns about the misrepresented size and clarity. MA Jewelry Designs responded that it was too late to refund any money, that they properly disclosed the fracture filled diamond by putting "Enhanced" on their website, and that we got a bad appraisal. After going back and forth- they suggested if we sent the ring back- they will replace my current center stone with a larger fracture filled diamond.

I am hoping that by posting here- more consumers who are starting to do research will learn more about what the words "Enhanced Diamond" means and to be careful of online diamond retailers. We really are smarter now. But my fiance spent $4500 on a stone filled with glass. It's heartbreaking. If you do want to buy from online- get your diamonds appraised as soon as you receive your purchase. And ask for full disclosure on whether what they are selling you is a fracture filled diamond.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I'm so sorry for you and your fiance!

I'm glad you have now become more educated on what makes a good diamond. Hang around here and you'll find there is SOOO much that helps a consumer make a wise and considered choice when buying diamonds. Maybe after lots of study, you and your fiance can determine a good time to "upgrade" your stone. As you'll find out if you do hang around a while, we're all about the upgrade. :naughty:

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Do you have any lawyer friends? Their representation of the carat weight was fraudulent. Instead of trying to trade them for a larger stone, I'd try a threatening letter. Good luck!

kaina123

Rough_Rock
MissStepCut- we don't know any lawyers. :((

We did report to the FTC, the BBB, and the GIA. We do feel ripped off a little but if I can help other people to be smarter about their diamond purchases then at least something good will have come from this. There is no such thing as a free lunch!

We did google the appraiser's address MA Jewelry Designs uses and Google maps showed an empty lot in NYC.

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Okay, as far as clarity enhancement goes, I don't think you were ripped off, you were just uninformed. But carat weight? That's not ambiguous, that's just wrong.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Did you pay with a credit card? Are there limitations in terms of timing to make a claim with your cc company?

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
I'm sorry this happened to you and thank you very much for sharing it with us so people may be more careful when they shop for it

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
centralsquare|1314799734|3006275 said:
Did you pay with a credit card? Are there limitations in terms of timing to make a claim with your cc company?
It was presented in October. Any idea when he bought it? The CC companies do have deadlines about when you can file complaints and a year I think is an important date and that may be coming up pretty quickly. The date of 'discovery' of the defect is often an important issue as well and this will be the date on the appraisal. The enhancement was fully disclosed so that's your fiancees bad if that's not what he meant to buy but the weight discrepancy is a big deal. The first step is to politely ask the dealer to remedy the problem and ask them what they recommend but if it's going to be a fight, by far the CC company is your best ally.

GIA has nothing to do with it and the FTC is a waste. BBB is a toothless tiger but sometimes they can rattle the cage of dealers a bit. Complaining to them IS a worthwhile exercise and they're free but it's important to understand that they have no REAL authority over anyone or anything. JVC (http://www.jvclegal.org) is another group with no real authority but they tend to be good at getting jewelers' attention because they are well connected in the industry and pissing them off can have repurcussions that turn up elsewhere. Unlike BBB, they're part of the jewelry industry and they seem to be better at understanding the issues. Be aware that they may not agree with you. Your case is based on an unattributed appraisal done a year after the fact and there is significant room for doubt.

Only in the jewelry business is an appraisal that says you paid a fair price taken as bad news.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree they did tell you it's enhanced, but the carat weights are waaaaaay off - I'd go after only that.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
kaina123|1314797608|3006248 said:
MA Jewelry Designs responded that it was too late to refund any money, that they properly disclosed the fracture filled diamond by putting "Enhanced" on their website, and that we got a bad appraisal. After going back and forth- they suggested if we sent the ring back- they will replace my current center stone with a larger fracture filled diamond.

Their offer of replacing it a year after the fact with another ring that DOES match the description of what they sold you is not at all unreasonable. We, of course, have no way of knowing whether or not the appraisal you got is correct or not without looking at both the report and the merchandise but we know that the one that they supplied is nonsense simply by comparing the value conclusion and the transaction price. On what planet and under what circumstances is this item 'worth' $22k?

kaina123|1314797608|3006248 said:
Also the appraisal said the side stones were .98 total carats not the 1.75 total carat weight we were told.
Apparently the weight on the center stone is not the only discrepancy.

I don't mean to come across as hostile to the dealer here. It sounds like they're trying to do the right thing. It's both entirely possible that the appraisal IS wrong and, even if correct, it's entirely possible that they didn't know and were just relying on their suppliers word for things. That's no excuse but the offer to make it right a year after the fact is a good sign. I presume they haven't actually seen the ring in quite some time and are working entirely off of what an unknown appraiser has said.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results