shape
carat
color
clarity

engraving / inscriptions on diamond - is it worth it

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

popshark

Rough_Rock
I''m considering buying a diamond and thinking about getting the GIA report number inscribed on the girdle.
Does this make sense?
Will it affect the quality or value?
Is it a common practice?
I am concerned about being able to identify it in the future since I''m spending $12k.

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hello,
I had my diamond engraved with the cert #. I went with Diamond Brokers of Florida & Jan sent the stone back to AGS per my request & AGS also noted the laser engraving on the cert as well. My reasons for doing this,
- it gave me a bit of peace of mind that when I took my stone in to be set or cleaned that the same stone would come back to me. It would deter diamond switching if noted on the receipt before any work was done. I know, I know, its "rare" for diamond switching, as per the experts here. But for those that have had their stones switched, its not so rare. Ideal cuts here in Toronto are not common.
- Keep in mind that if its stollen from your home, the engraving can be polished off. Its not a sure fire approach but I still would get it engraved.
- Also, for me it gave me the confidence to know that the stone I chose was indeed the stone being shipped. I did take it to an appraiser here in the city & he matched the stone on his plot exactly to the AGS cert so it was in fact, the stone being represented. :)
- As per it changing the clarity, it didnt change mine but mine is an SI-1. I recall a thread a month or 2 ago with someone asking about an IF or FL being engraved. You may want to do a search. I dont think you have to worry about this.

Judy
:)

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Hi Pop
1.gif

a)Yes, it does make sense for the peace of your mind, but be advised that an inscription can be removed easily.

b)No, it doesn't affect the value of your diamond, unless something like 'XXX and YYY forever' is inscribed on the girdle.

c)Yes, it's a very common practice.

As per clarity grade, no, it doesn't affect it in any way.

Giangi
1.gif

popshark

Rough_Rock
Thanks guys for advice.
I will do it.

-Pop

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
My pleasure... Good choice!

trichrome

Shiny_Rock
To answer this question you have to do like the devil will do:

if i was a jeweller who wants to take your stone which is
laser inscribed and let's say GIA cert.

I would have to:

-polish off that laser inscription (easy to do)
-find a diamond, same weight and diameter than your stone
with a plot that is similar to the original diamond (pretty difficult
to do for an SI stone but easier if it's a VVS or VS stone).
-find a devil friend of mine who will laser inscribed
the new stone with "GIA 121313131..." or whatever...
-replace the stone in the setting...
-and all that for what? a few $$$$

If I'm really a devil and I love your stone, I'll do it
if I can make $$$ on the "transaction"...

1.gif

Trichrome.

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Hi Trichrome...

You're right
1.gif
, but it's not that easy to find two perfectly matched diamonds in just a few days... Or so I hope
9.gif
!

Giangi

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results